Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
There are a lot of good magazines out on the market, and there are a lot of bad ones. I would like to discuss which magazines people think highly of, and why. Do you have any active subscriptions? Which magazines do you usually subscribe to and why?

When my buddies and I where in high school – back in the 1980s – we would read any magazine, or mail order catalog we could get our hands on. This was back before the internet – so you had to either go to the store and actually buy a magazine, or send off an order form and wait 2 – 6 weeks for the first issue to come in. Over the past 25 years, only a hand full of magazines have risen to the top and deserve a special mention.

5 & 6. Field and Stream and Outdoor Life – both magazines offer a wide variety of hunting and outdoors information. Since both magazines offer such a wide variety of information, its difficult to say that one is better then the other. Where else can you find information about fly fishing on 1 page, and wilderness survival on the next page.

I like how the writers of field and stream and outdoor life pull the reader in. Last year,,, maybe 2 years ago there was an article about bass fishing in Cuba. The author did such a good job telling the story, and I could visualize just about everything going on.

Another article that I liked, was about hunting big game with the correct caliber, and how people out on the internet were giving bad advice. The author said that if your going to go bear hunting, leave the 30-30, 270, and even the 30-06 at home and bring something that has "magnum" after the numbers - 300 winchester magnum, 338 winchester magnum,,,, stuff like that.

Then there was another article talking about how magnum and non-magnum calibers make no difference on whitetail deer.

4. Backpacker – offers quality gear reviews mixed with a touch of conservation. What other magazine can you read about -20 degree sleeping bags, and about timber companies cutting virgin forest in the same issue?

One of the things that I do not like about backpacker magazine, they seem to target the higher end gear. A couple of months ago backpacker published a review edition - just about all of the packs were $200 packs. Sure your probably going to get better quality with a higher end pack. But in todays economy, not a lot of people can afford the higher end stuff.

I can only buy what I can afford, and I can not afford $200 for a pack, $200 for a sleeping bag, $200 - $300 for a tent, $150 - $200 for a pair of boots,,,,,. By they time I got finished buying all they gear they recommended, I would be bankrupt.

3. Soldier of Fortune – no other magazine is going to cut to the heart of military history, political and military issues like Soldier of Fortune magazine. Back in the 1980s when Russia was at war in Afghanistan, and I was only a teenager, I remember reading about fund raisers to help the Afghan freedom fighters.

One of my favorite articles by SOF was about the MG-42, it was published sometime around 1984, or 1985. Then there was another article told by a Vietnam Veteran about securing their base and setting up the machine guns.

2. Farmers Almanac – its going to be difficult to find a more reliable source of information on gardening and farming.

1. American Survival Guide – All hail American Survival Guide, also known as ASG. If you were a survivalist in the 1990s, ASG was a must have. For those of us that did not want get on a mailing list, a trip to the local magazine stand was a monthly ritual. This magazine had it all – everything from turning 2 ALICE packs into a raft, to growing herbs, to basket weaving. My buddies and I will sometimes pull out our old ASGs and discuss the articles.

Its a shame that ASG went out of print. It was the only magazine that main stream survivalism to the masses.

So once you have a nice supply of survival magazines, what do you to with them? Personally I keep a small supply of magazines here at the house. The rest are moved to the camp. Ok, why is there a supply of survival magazines at the camp?

They make good reading material – when your sitting at the camp, its deer season, the sun went down before 6pm, its cold outside, its only an hour before bed time so you can get up at 4:30am to go get in the stand – having a variety of reading material is a good way to pass the time.

Education material – if some kind of SHTF situation occurs, having resource material at your bug out location is a wise idea. Instead of scratching your head wondering what kind of fertilizer works best for turnips greens, whip out your books on gardening and read up.

There are a lot of good magazines out there. The key is to find the ones that fit your needs, get a subscription going, build up a nice stockpile, and then distribute the magazines to your camps.

As for magazines like guns and ammo, how many times can you compare the 9mm and 45acp? That horse has been beat to death over the past 100 years. Enough is enough. I let my subscriptions to shooting times and guns and ammo expire years ago. Mainly because I felt they were discussing the same thing over, and over, and over.

If I had to pick one or the other - shooting times or guns and ammo - I would probably get a shooting times. I liked the reloading bench and the armed citizen articles.

·
Illic Ero Eventus
245 Posts
I used to subscribe to ASG back in the 90's, still have all my old copies from back then. I even have some really old ones from the 80's and the magazine was just called Survive. ASG is still available sort of in web only format. Its at www.ModernSurvival.net. Some articles can be read without subscribing. If you do the year subscrition (6 issues) you get all back issues from 2001 to 2009 on a cd in .pdf format.

·
Fly on the Wall
143 Posts
I used to buy ASG at the newstand as well. I also have subscribed to or newstand bought Backwoods Home Magazine for most of the last 20 years or so, they picked up the remaining subscriptions and mailing list for ASG when it folded (2000? early '01? It's been a long time). Big fan of Jackie Clay and Claire Wolfe, enjoy Dave Duffy's writing and all the how-to articles.

·
Prov 3:18
2,235 Posts
At one point I had several years of ASG in my closet(7?).SWAT also had/has survival leanings though it has admitedly evolved into a more LE magazine.Backwoods Home and Backwoodsman are both good mags,as is Wilderness Way(christopher nygeres edits this one,you might remember him from ASG). The editor of ASGnow publishes a net-zine called Modern Survival Guide that has similar astetics to ASG.Ron Hood publishes a quarterly mag called Survival Quarterly that looks promising.
http://www.modernsurvival.net/
http://survivaldotcommag.com/web/

sorry didn't see some of this had been posted.

·
Christian
39,500 Posts
You know its a great idea to keep certain articles that you will use as a source of information.

I scan the ones I want to keep. This includes some really tasty recipes.

But what bothers me is that if something ever happened to the point of where someone accused you of being a domestic terrorist, I can't help but think that all of those mags would be used against you in a court of law.

·
Just livin'
2,466 Posts
Ah yes.... American Survival Guide. I still have issues from the early 80's. I learned much from that publication such as scrounged together water filters and long term burying of ammo. Good info back then.

But now it's Mother Earth News and AARP.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,758 Posts
I have a pile of old ASG magazines also. They had a few good articles. I toss any magazine that has a useful article in a box and set it aside. I've got all sorts in there, from Backwoods Home, to old Popular Sciences. I keep swearing that some day I'm going to go through and compile all the articles so I can throw out the mags and save space.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I read a lot so I generally always have a book or two going and I get:

National Geograhpic
Mother Earth News
Survival Quarterly - Only just got my first issue last quarter.
NRA - Mag 1st Freedom
Blade - Can't help it I am a knife buff

Then I also pay too much and get a couple arms related magazines every month like:

Personal Defense
Soldier of Fortune
Combat Arms

I get all manner of reports and catalogs as well. I do like the U.S. Gold report articles though I always try to keep in mind that at the end of the day they want me to buy gold.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
I really miss ASG. My friend Jeff Hall published a couple articles about survival in coastal environments.

In the last year, Dillon Blue Press has had Jerry Ahern writing stuff for them on survival firearms and related toipics. Some good things in there.

SOF has some good stuff but I can barely get past their first paragraph, the writing is so bad. Their early issues were great. I remember all the work done on the rockpile in the 80's and how we were so together in that house of war... Look at us now! You gotta believe the Russkies are laughing at us.

Really, I think the market is ripe for another magazine for folks like us.

·
Sniper-Tec
305 Posts
Still have all my copies of ASG.

Right now I subscribe to Countryside Journal, Backwoods Home, Mother Earth News, and Home Power.

Home Power is not a survivalist magazine but does have information on energy option which can get your home off the power grid. An important goal at the moment with cap and trade and other energy taxes on the horizon.

Countryside and Backwoods Home have compiled anthologies of past issues available for those who need to catch up.

·
Hooligan on Holiday
2,368 Posts
There are a lot of good magazines out on the market, and there are a lot of bad ones. I would like to discuss which magazines people think highly of, and why. Do you have any active subscriptions? Which magazines do you usually subscribe to and why?

When my buddies and I where in high school – back in the 1980s – we would read any magazine, or mail order catalog we could get our hands on. This was back before the internet – so you had to either go to the store and actually buy a magazine, or send off an order form and wait 2 – 6 weeks for the first issue to come in. Over the past 25 years, only a hand full of magazines have risen to the top and deserve a special mention.

5 & 6. Field and Stream and Outdoor Life – both magazines offer a wide variety of hunting and outdoors information. Since both magazines offer such a wide variety of information, its difficult to say that one is better then the other. Where else can you find information about fly fishing on 1 page, and wilderness survival on the next page.

I like how the writers of field and stream and outdoor life pull the reader in. Last year,,, maybe 2 years ago there was an article about bass fishing in Cuba. The author did such a good job telling the story, and I could visualize just about everything going on.

Another article that I liked, was about hunting big game with the correct caliber, and how people out on the internet were giving bad advice. The author said that if your going to go bear hunting, leave the 30-30, 270, and even the 30-06 at home and bring something that has "magnum" after the numbers - 300 winchester magnum, 338 winchester magnum,,,, stuff like that.

Then there was another article talking about how magnum and non-magnum calibers make no difference on whitetail deer.

4. Backpacker – offers quality gear reviews mixed with a touch of conservation. What other magazine can you read about -20 degree sleeping bags, and about timber companies cutting virgin forest in the same issue?

One of the things that I do not like about backpacker magazine, they seem to target the higher end gear. A couple of months ago backpacker published a review edition - just about all of the packs were $200 packs. Sure your probably going to get better quality with a higher end pack. But in todays economy, not a lot of people can afford the higher end stuff.

I can only buy what I can afford, and I can not afford $200 for a pack, $200 for a sleeping bag, $200 - $300 for a tent, $150 - $200 for a pair of boots,,,,,. By they time I got finished buying all they gear they recommended, I would be bankrupt.

3. Soldier of Fortune – no other magazine is going to cut to the heart of military history, political and military issues like Soldier of Fortune magazine. Back in the 1980s when Russia was at war in Afghanistan, and I was only a teenager, I remember reading about fund raisers to help the Afghan freedom fighters.

One of my favorite articles by SOF was about the MG-42, it was published sometime around 1984, or 1985. Then there was another article told by a Vietnam Veteran about securing their base and setting up the machine guns.

2. Farmers Almanac – its going to be difficult to find a more reliable source of information on gardening and farming.

1. American Survival Guide – All hail American Survival Guide, also known as ASG. If you were a survivalist in the 1990s, ASG was a must have. For those of us that did not want get on a mailing list, a trip to the local magazine stand was a monthly ritual. This magazine had it all – everything from turning 2 ALICE packs into a raft, to growing herbs, to basket weaving. My buddies and I will sometimes pull out our old ASGs and discuss the articles.

Its a shame that ASG went out of print. It was the only magazine that main stream survivalism to the masses.

So once you have a nice supply of survival magazines, what do you to with them? Personally I keep a small supply of magazines here at the house. The rest are moved to the camp. Ok, why is there a supply of survival magazines at the camp?

They make good reading material – when your sitting at the camp, its deer season, the sun went down before 6pm, its cold outside, its only an hour before bed time so you can get up at 4:30am to go get in the stand – having a variety of reading material is a good way to pass the time.

Education material – if some kind of SHTF situation occurs, having resource material at your bug out location is a wise idea. Instead of scratching your head wondering what kind of fertilizer works best for turnips greens, whip out your books on gardening and read up.

There are a lot of good magazines out there. The key is to find the ones that fit your needs, get a subscription going, build up a nice stockpile, and then distribute the magazines to your camps.

As for magazines like guns and ammo, how many times can you compare the 9mm and 45acp? That horse has been beat to death over the past 100 years. Enough is enough. I let my subscriptions to shooting times and guns and ammo expire years ago. Mainly because I felt they were discussing the same thing over, and over, and over.

If I had to pick one or the other - shooting times or guns and ammo - I would probably get a shooting times. I liked the reloading bench and the armed citizen articles.

Started collecting the ASG mags in the late 80's untill they went away and have every issue purchased of them well stored away. Its like going back in time when looking at ads with prices for gear and other related items.......thanks for the flashback!

·
Registered
47 Posts
For good prices on Field and Stream, Outdoor Life and Backpacker, keep an eye on a Web site called tanga.com. Every day they have a different magazine deal. In the past few months, Outdoor life was $5/year and Backpacker was $3.50. No catches... doesn't renew automatically, etc. I also sometimes use a magazine subscription comparison site, magazinepricesearch.com. And last year, Amazon put a whole bunch of magazine subscriptions on sale (most $5) right around Black Friday.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I mentioned you might want to keep an eye on tanga.com... From now until 10 p.m. EST tomorrow (Wed.), Field and Stream is available for $4.99/year. (You might need the discount code STREAM to get it down to that price.) As I mentioned before, there are no catches with these daily deals, such as automatic annual renewals.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
No one remembers the magazine SURVIVE ? It was put out by the same people who published SOF. I think it might of predated ASG.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
Whatever happened to SOF? I used to read it in the 80's as a teen.

Great idea Kev. I have not had a field and stream subscription in 15 years. May have to renew it.

What related magazines are still in circulation other than the farmers almanac?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts