Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There are countless online manuals etc filled with useful diy documents and general information documents. Now it seems these would be a cheap, portable, and potentialy valuable resourse.

I was wondering if anyone had any sudjestons on what information would be useful to store, field manuals, electronics for dummies, absolutely anything u would recconmend.

I am thinking about getting a relyable laptop with some kind of off grid power supply so i could access this data if tshtf.

·
Gettin' there
919 Posts
A laptop is easily powered. Download all you can and if you have room, save it to your computer and also save to a disc.
If it's something that is VERY important, consider printing it out.

I have so much information, I've got it all saved as stated above plus really important things like canning, drying foods, water purification, building different types of stoves etc. I printed out and have it all in different sections of a notebook for easy reference.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i was considering saving all the information onto labeled disks (in multiple formats just in case) maybe 2 copys of each disk.

also i was thinking of purchasing a "memory stick" with a large amount of storage space on it and string, most, if not all the info on it (on a string around my neck) so its lightweight and allways there.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I'm compiling mem sticks for the kids also. I have scanned all of our old family photos and news articles from the 1800's, my geneology research, a huge library of quality literature and woodcraft/camping files, tons of manuals and how-to's, as well and both of my southern grandmas' recipes.

Start here, on the boards, by downloading from the library each day. Look to sources like Project Gutenberg, and Project Runeberg, Sacred Texts, Bibliomania, USDA Nat'l Agriculture Library and there are some great old Materia Medica, and herbals online in thier entirety at SW School of Botanical Medicine .. to link just a few.

also try Princeton, Oxford, Library of Congress, etc.

Download the plain text files, and maybe a screen reader program so you can listen to them read aloud to you while you go-about other tasks. Text Aloud is inexpensive and capable of more (has a free trial) and Read Please is a free program iirc, I'm sure there are others.

As far as manuals go, many are available in PDF online. I know some folks are charging for libraries of them compiled on CD on eBay (and you may find that more practical), but as an example, things like the HK G3 Armorer's Manuals are on the manufacturer's site free of charge.

·
Bleach blonde on fire :p
6,173 Posts
I have several Notebooks that I print out info and then file into the correct book.

I have books for:

Gardening
Building
Food storage
Farm upkeep
Medical
Menus and recipes
...... and some I haven't decided on a name for them so far.

·
Registered
35 Posts
16GB memory sticks can be found for $30, 32GB for $55 @ newegg.com.

Look into netbooks such as the Asus EEE, MSI Wind, or Dell Mini9. They are small, very portable, and use little power. Some have Solid State Disks, which are more reliable but smaller.

·
Banned
4,937 Posts
Not that I would, nor am I planning to do so.
But check out this site--lots, and lots of stuff to download from a particular guy on this site....

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4465195/Camouflage_and_Concealment_Books

This is just one of many downloads.
Just click on this guy's name and you will get the full list of his stuff.

x_DontTreadOnMe_x

All his loads are clean (no viruses).
He is one of us.
But don't download anything from your home IP address.
Use a laptop from a coffe shop if you want to do this.

T

I think the needfulness of info now, far outweight any other concerns.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts