Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most preppers are stockpiling some kind of ammunition. Usually it is the military calibers that are stockpiled and 22 long rifle. But what about hunting grade ammunition?

How much hunting grade ammunition are you stockpiling?

How much ammunition do you usually use in a hunting season, including sighting the rifle in?

How many calibers are you stockpiling?

Are you buying calibers friends and family use but you do not use?

Hunting grade ammunition

Let's define this as a cartridge that has been designed for hunting a certain type of game animal. This does not include ball or FMJ.

There is a big difference between hunting in the southern states and then states like Alaska, Montana and Colorado. Instead of making blanket statements let's focus on what works best for an individual and their needs.

For my personal needs Remington core-lokt does just fine. I have taken numerous southeast Texas whitetail deer with 270 Winchester, 280 Remington and 308 Winchester using Remington core-lokt. My preferred bullet weight for the 270 is 130 grains while the 280 and 308 are 150 grains.

My sons have taken numerous southeast Texas whitetail deer with their Marlin 336 chambered in 30-30 Winchester. Remington core-lokt in 150 grain did the job just fine.

My dad and brother use a 30-06 and use Remington core-lokt in 150 grain.

The hunting lease my family used to be on, a lot of the people there used Remington core-lokt.

How much ammunition to stockpile

My personal goal is at least 200 rounds per caliber. That is 10 boxes with 20 rounds per box. 200 rounds is not difficult to build up. Just pick up a box here and there. Maybe a box every couple of weeks.

200 rounds does not sound like much, but that is per caliber. If you have 3 deer hunting rifles with each one being a different caliber, that is 600 rounds.

Cost is a big issue with not stockpiling thousands of rounds for my hunting rifles. Ammunition for my 280 Remington is around $25 a box, while ammunition for a 30-30 is around $14 - $16 a box. 10 boxes of 280 Remington would be around $250. Cost is also why I like staying with old time popular calibers.

I also stockpile several boxes of low grade ammunition for target shooting and for training. This is usually Monarch, Winchester and Federal. Just whatever is on sale, and something that can be used to teach someone how the rifle operates.

If you count the target ammunition, we are probably looking at more like 300 - 400 rounds, maybe even as high as 500 rounds per caliber.

How many calibers

My two primary hunting rifles - Remington model 700 chambered in 280 Remington and then a FN/FAL chambered in 308 Winchester. With my standard of 200 rounds per caliber, that is a total of 400 rounds between the two rifles.

I know hunters like to try new products, such as the Winchester Short Magnum line of calibers.

Then there are the collectors who buy rifles like they are collecting stamps.

There is nothing wrong with collecting rifles or trying new things. But are you going to stockpile ammunition for every caliber you have? Maybe focus on two or three rifles and only a couple of calibers?

I need to add a 30-30 Winchester rifle to my collection. Having three reliable hunting rifles with 200 rounds each would be my ideal setup. A single rifle for myself and then a couple of rifles to handout to friends and family members.

On the farm are a couple of deer stands that overlook where deer cross through. Hand a friend or family member a rifle, teach them how to use it, use some cheap target ammo for them to shoot, put them in a stand with a bottle of water and a snack. Stay there until I come get you, or until it gets dark.

Ammunition for friends and family members

I do not have a 30-06, but my dad and brother do. Because of this I make sure I have a couple boxes of 30-06 in my stockpile.

I also make sure I have a couple of boxes of Federal ammunition and some Winchester. This is on top of my Remington -core-lokt. The Federal and Winchester is for friends and family members whos rifle may not shoot Remington core-lokt very accurate.

Feedback

How many rounds is your ideal stockpile for hunting grade per caliber?

What calibers and what type of ammunition are you stockpiling?

·
Registered
5,010 Posts
I have a couple of boxes of hunting ammo for each of my guns. The only FMJ that I buy is for the cases. I'm not planning on getting into any fire fights. If pressed, I'll use hunting ammo. I also reload and keep a couple of boxes of projectiles for each caliber. Bullet casting makes shooting cheap and cast projectiles work fine for most hunting in the lower 48 states. I see no need to stock ammo for military maneuvers. That said, I think only a fool would list their ammo stores on line.

·
RIP Dad
1,993 Posts
I keep about 200-300 rounds. I buy a few boxes whenever the manufactures do their rebate sales. Generally around the start of hunting season.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
I'm a shotgun guy so $50.00 back in 1999 got me a Lee Load All II and scale. Components picked up here and there and I have enough bird and buck to shoot several years, Stockpiled slugs? about 500.

·
Registered
6,445 Posts
Stockpile 22lr here. Most is std velocity and subsonic for use as small game hunting via suppressed weapons.

308/7.62×51mm is at the other end and stocked the heaviest .

Both stocked by the pallets. In addition, we reload 308 .

While any 308 fodder will dump pigs and deer at acceptable distances, I have a few pet loads stocked and/ or reload the most.

M80: Always have a bunch of it and always will. Lower costs, effective on numerous things, well sealed for long term storage and " hard" conditions, and plenty for training. It also feeds reliably thrust a wide range of different semiauto rifles.

168gr match: Same as above but not as economical. Very consistent however, and kills hogs or deer out to distances some folks can't see too.

Barnes 150 and 168gr TSX/TTSX: Any critter in this part of the world andthen some with consistent terminal effect. Penetrates certain media better than the rest does , and with less deviation. This load could cover 100 percent of my centerfure rifle hunting and security all by itself.

Subsonic: Not as stocked but has a purpose.

125gr reduced recoil: ( Hornady SST) : About the same muzzle rise and felt recoil as a Mini14 via 55gr 5.56mm fmj when fired thru any of my 7.62x51mm semiautomatic rifles. ( Namely the M14) Kills hogs and deer just fine. Decent fodder for young shooters working their way up the totem pole as well as folks with certain medical issues that prohibit other 308 loads.

Several other hunting and target loads in this cartridge but not as deep.

All of it is more than adequate via anti 2 legged issues or hunting.

Note: As a group, we stock theabove 2 cartridges deep, although individuals stock other cartridges as well. I personally do not stock cartridges for others, but since everyone in my group owns firearms chambered in 22lr and 308, we have common ammo.

Primary hunting rifle is either one of my M14s. ( 308). In 22lr have a few 1022s, and now am concentrating efforts at hunting with a 2245 lite and can.

A few suggestions..........

1. Don't keep all of it in one place. ( Rule of 3 is my preference) If something happens to one location, others are in place as a back up.

2. Rotate stocks.

3. If you think that X amount is sufficient then triple the number at minimum. ( Works very well with suggestion 1 above)

4. Reload if you don't already.

5. Budget wisely

6. Liquidate firearms and ammo that doesn't serve a purpose or that other firearms already cover if you must. ( I used to have several dedicated hunting rifles in 9 different calibers along with a few purpose built shotguns in 20ga. and a supply of ammo for each. Sold/ traded them off and put those funds towards 22lr and 308 as the 2 cover everything those liquidated firearms did. Only thing left is a few sentimental favorites, and certain guns currently being evaluated
One of them is a Glenfield leveraction chambered in 3030.

·
Premium Member
737 Posts
An outstanding question. Most of us tote around tons of anti-personnel rounds and (having seen FMJ used on big game) it is a terrible idea to shoot large game animals with FMJ. In a dangerous world, tracking a wounded animal for miles (and even lung-shot animals can walk for miles) is asking for trouble.

Unfortunately, I've got myself into the legacy "ultimate rifle" spiral -- where I've purchased numerous high-potential rifle calibers (.300 RUM for example) that later vanished from the scene. Now, I'm stuck with a beautiful Christensen Arms carbon fiber rifle in a caliber I can no longer find. I can reload it, but that's another commitment.

So, I'm standardizing on .308, .338 Ultra and .300 Win Mag. I'm in the Rockies, so I'm killing mule deer and elk -- both large critters than are best served with cartridges bigger than .270. If I were in the Midwest, I'd standardize to .270 or .270 WSM (another vanity cartridge, but very flat.)

I'm stocking about 600 rounds each, in a standardized bullet weight. I like Federal Premium, as I've never been able to work up a load that'd out-perform Fed Premium out of the box (alas, I'm no steely-eyed marksman anyway.) I just need to kill elk and deer out to about 650 yards.

If I were wandering around post-SHTF, I'd probably have one box mag full of hunting cartridges, well-marked, and the rest in FMJ. A warning to myself: if I'll be toting a semi-auto (like my SCAR Heavy or FN/FAL) the hunting cartridges MUST be tested beforehand, as they frequently fail to feed up the ramp.

In an entire hunting season, I rarely shoot more than six rounds. Last year, I killed a deer with my bow and then a cow elk (at 450 yards just off my property) with one round. The guy I was with shot half a box and killed his cow. He was getting used to my rifle and shooting in a rush, by way of explanation.

Thanks for the very-pertinent tread! I'm going to go check my hunting cartridge stockpile numbers this weekend.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
My father made a box of 20 rounds of .270 Win last four years; typically bagging a buck, doe and elk every year. He would shoot a round or two to check his zero before hitting the field and he rarely missed a shot.

I personally think 100-200 rounds of the most accurate round per rifle is a good starting point.

For whatever rifle I typically use for hunting, I'll set aside about 10 rounds to make sure I'm dialed in. If using a scope with back up rifled sights, I'll confirm zero for both.

I hunt almost exclusively with .308 but I've used my small .357 Magnum carbine for thick foliage deer hunting. For most locations, I've found .308 Winchester to cover about 90% of my typical hunting. I do want to add a .30-30 since my brother hawked my very first hunting rifle and I've never replaced the Winchester Model 94.

Still, .308 serves my purposes and with several bolt guns in .308 and a few battle rifles, commonality helps with stocking. As you mentioned if I store up about 100-200 rounds per hunting rifle, it's close to 1000 rounds of hunting ammo. Even if I kill four or five deer (or hogs) a year, that calculates out to over 50 years of hunting ammo!

ROCK6

·
Registered
822 Posts
I think with any ammo, need to stock what you guns likes or are zeroed for. I have stocked a bunch of ZQI 7.62 from Walmart because it was cheap and available. Problem is none of my guns like it. Now I'm looking at selling all of this stock in order to bulk up on good stuff.

As for how much, guess that depends on the size of your piggy bank. If you have really deep pockets then might be other concerns, like moving all of it. I'd say for a rule of thumb, should have at least cost of your gun in the value of your ammo.

·
Ordinary Average Guy
1,062 Posts
To me ammo purchased a box here and there, regardless of the type, is insignificant to the budget. I am never going to have a pallet load as some others here, but I think I have enough for myself and this household. I consider it like buying an extra can of beans or bag of rice when at the grocery store.

I have several different manufacturers, but when I squeeze the trigger, lead will go down range and end up more or less where I want it to go. I do not have a precision rifle. I am not an expert marksman. When I have opportunity to shoot, I set aside what the rifle likes, and use the rest for practice.

Occasionally I will purchase a box for something common that I don't own (when the price is right). These are for friends I have not yet met or for barter use. I think I have 3 boxes in that category right now.

·
Premium Member
737 Posts
For whatever rifle I typically use for hunting, I'll set aside about 10 rounds to make sure I'm dialed in. If using a scope with back up rifled sights, I'll confirm zero for both.
ROCK6
I typically expend 5 to ten times more ammo dialing in than actually shooting at animals. Any major change in altitude or humidity will shift my zero. It's not enough of a shift to generate a clean miss, but it's enough to matter for an ethical kill. Also, if I've traveled, then I cannot be wholly confident of my zero.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I only have three calibers, multiple guns of same calibers but only 3 different bullets needed. make all my own projectiles and with the pile of material I have picked up I figure my family all the way down to my great-grand kids will be able to shoot all they want. my only weak link is primers and have been learning to make those myself lately as well.

·
What hell, pay attention
8,150 Posts
I really dont stockpile hunting ammo at all. If the SHTF, I dont plan on doing much shooting, especially hunting. Just seems like its would bring on more trouble than its worth.

Lots of other ways to catch critters, and ways that work 24/7 without being me being there. More efficient and a lot less attention drawn.

Reactions: Optimist

·
Have gun will travel
796 Posts
I maintain a minimum for every arm in my possession. When I use it,I replace it. No exceptions. If I can't maintain it it doesn't stay. .22Mag included. If I have say...a 500rd minimum,for example, 150 rds would be acceptable to hunt with.Defensive/tactical ammo included.
So...25% would be a solid number.
Survival is more than just defense.

·
Hunting in Oklahoma
1,244 Posts
My primary centerfire hunting rifle is a .270 Winchester. I buy whatever 130gr soft point ammo is cheap when I see it and use it for general shooting and coyotes, it's never more than 1-2" off the zero of my main round. I reload all the spent brass from the store bought rounds with 130gr nosler ballistic tips for large game and it shoots groups under 1" all day at 150 yards. This builds my stock of soft point ammo and as its used up it adds to my main stash. I have around 500 soft points and almost as many loaded BT rounds.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Started making sure I have a few boxes of subsonic .22s, not just bulk bricks in case I need to hunt stealthy-like. I also started piling a few boxes of 20 and 12gauge birdshot in case I need to, well, hunt birds... (I usually need a box every few months for varmint control) I also want to get into a skeet/trap shooting. I also do not plan on taking anything bigger than a real small hog, as I have zero experience trying to keep large amounts of meat good without a deep freezer and I don't want to waste a perfectly healthy deer or boat.

·
Registered
214 Posts
When I find the load each hunting rifle shoots well i want a minimum of 200 rds for it. Preferably make it to 1000+ when I find it on sale or with free shipping deals.

I will use typically less than 20 center fire rounds per year hunting.
2 rds at beginning of season to ck zero.
7mm08 , 308 ,243 in that order are main calibers used and stocked for.

I tend to stock up more on hunting ammo than i do SHTF ammo.

·
Ephemerally here
6,875 Posts
I have a veritable embarrassment of ammo "riches"...

Within the last Three Years, I purchased an entire Old-time reloader's kit from an Heir who didn't want any of it, just wanted it gone in order to prep the property for sale. Bought roughly $3500 worth of Powder, Primers, commercial bullets, dies, brass, scales, and presses, all for well under $250. I then took in all my departed Old Man's reloading kit as well. Another $5000-7500 worth. Sold off anything I had more than Three of.

I have dies for most regular calibers you might find in a Sporting goods store, and quite a few arcane/obsolescent calibers as well.

So, with that preface, I have roughly 500-1000 loaded, standardized rounds of each Hunting Round I have a Rifle for.

Brass of 200 -500 brand new shells for every caliber for which I have a loading Dieset.

For each of the Home Defense rifle calibers, I have well over 2000 rounds loaded, with an equal number of bullets ready for reloading. Powder and primers as well.

For Pistol ammo, I truly have an amount that approaches "enough"!

Where I might be open to criticisms is in my wretched excess of .22 ammo and Air Rifle supplies.

I have, separately, over a ton of lead, and nearly 200 pounds of tin. No Idea how much wheelweights....

Too much stuff! Pity the Wife or Daughter, when I pass.

·
Viva la revolution!
2,140 Posts
like you I am a .270 loving son of agun:thumb:

I like the Winchester supreme with the red tip...... don't even have to hit the deer to kill it:taped:

When these bullets were on the shelf I kept a box or two laying around, when they discontinued them I purchased all I could find.

Something that I do that you may want to consider for .308/ 30-06/ .223 I buy the bulk fmj mil surp ammo and shoot it at the range. Its fun to burn through a couple hundred rounds. I then police all my brass and reload it with the best bullets I can find. This has allowed me to store a decent amount of ammo without breaking the bank.

To bad we cant get mil surp 30-30:cool:

1 - 20 of 71 Posts