Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lets talk about circle hooks:

On average they're about 20% more effective in catching the fish.

They are less likely to get hung up in the belly of the fish.

Circle hooks are less likely to kill the fish - so catch and release is more effective.

On my trotlines I have just about switched entirely over to circle hooks. Last weekend I bought a box of circle hooks and will be replacing all of my trotline J-hooks with circle hooks over the next few weeks.

If my trotline catch improves, I might switch over to 100% circle hooks. And that goes for line fishing as well.

Sometimes I catfish off the bank of a local river. I plan on switching out the hooks in my trotline bucket with circle hooks as well.

Now for a video about trotlines

P.S. This could have gone in the fishing section, but oh well.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I have been slowly changing over.
Just remember to fight the urge to set the hook, let the fish run with it and hook himself.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have been r unning 5/0 Owner or Gomatsu Circle Hooks for several years now and my overall catch has increased dramatically. I have also upgraded to 130 lb Tuff Line/Braid on them and have seen an increase at well. Almost never a break off. Same on my jugs.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
With some fish that's true. Longtime technique of halibut fishing and well proven to work with bait fishing on species known to be picky or finicky. Excellent for trot lines.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
My brother has been using these (circle hooks) for years to catch carp. It's for his kids and the annual fishing contest. They have won 9 out of the past 10 years!

·
To secure peace is to...
4,194 Posts
I live in the competitve bass fishing world and circle hooks are only used for about 1 popular style of fishing and I've noticed that hook-up rates are dramatically lower as compared to my "normal" bass fishing hooksets/hook combinations. However, I attribute this to bass fisherman wanting to set the hook instead of letting the fish hook itself.

Just an interesting note.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I live in the competitve bass fishing world and circle hooks are only used for about 1 popular style of fishing and I've noticed that hook-up rates are dramatically lower as compared to my "normal" bass fishing hooksets/hook combinations.
Do they make circle hooks for artificial worms in a Texas or Carolina weedless rig?

·
In memory of Rokitdog
14,951 Posts
Perhaps they work well with certain types of fish but I mostly go for panfish and my catch increased when I opened up the hooks to nail the nibblers! I did the same for trout and my catch increased. Trot lines are not legal here so I cant speak for that and I find that bass will either bite or they wont reguardless of the hooks and I miss few strikes hooking up with normal hooks when they bite!

·
To secure peace is to...
4,194 Posts
Do they make circle hooks for artificial worms in a Texas or Carolina weedless rig?
Typically what a circle hook is used for is a setup called a "wacky rig" wherein the hook is inserted into the center of the worm and the worm dangles from both sides. This is typically done weightless and worms suchs as Sinkos are typically used for this rig:

To answer your question, I haven't seen weedless circle hooks online for sale. I'm pretty sure I've seen one that has a small metal "clip" that goes over the hook opening to keep it weedless, but again, I can't find any online.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts