Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
While reviewing my 22 long rifle stockpile last night, I realized that I am mostly buying 2 brand names - Federal and 1 box of Winchester. The next couple of bricks I buy will probably be Remington and a box of Winchester.

How my preps are setup

@ 75% of my ammunition at stored at home.
@ 25% is stored at the camp / bug out location.

At the camp I have some Winchester and some Remington 22 long rifle, and maybe a box or two of Federal.

One of my favorite types of ammo to stockpile is the Federal Champion. Each brick of Federal Champion is composed of 10 boxes of 50 rounds in each box. Instead of having to grab a handful of lose ammo, you grab a single box (which holds 50 rounds) and you're good to go.

One of the issues with 1 brand of 22 long rifle making up the majority of your preps, not all 22 rifles shoot the same. Some rifles shoot certain types of ammunition better then others.

Different types of rifles

Like a lot of people, my family has at least 4 different types of 22 rifles - Ruger 10/22, Marlin model 60, Remington speedmaster, H&R Plainsman .22 Bolt Action.

Ruger 10/22 will shoot just about anything.

Remington speedmaster on the other hand, its rather picky about the types of 22 long rifle it likes to function with.

Marlin model 60, its kinda in the middle between the Remington and the Ruger.

H&R Plainsman is bolt action so the semi-auto action is not an issue. This rifle shoots just about anything.

The 10/22 works good with the Remington bulk ammo, while the Remington Speedmaster seems to have issues. The Remington speedmaster apears to have more misfires and failure to eject then the Ruger 10/22 when using Remington bulk 22 long rifle.

When shooting the Federal ammo, the Marlin model 60 seemed to have more misfires then the Ruger 10/22.

With stockpiling the majority of my 22 long rifle in one brandname, a couple of rifles may not function as well as they should.

Subsonic ammo

Besides the hypersonic ammo, maybe we should be stockpiling subsonic ammo as well. If you want to keep the report of the rifle to a minimum, subsonic should help keep the noise down.

22 long rifle in a long term shtf / TEOTWAWKI situation

What other ammo can you buy 500 rounds of for less then $20? Just a few years ago a brick of 550 rounds cost in the $10 - $11 price range.

No other type of ammunition is more practical to stockpile then the good ole 22 long rifle. One reason why the 22 long rifle is so popular today, is that during the great depression, 22 long rifle is all people could afford to buy.

Its cheap
It stores well
Low report
Low recoil
Anyone in the family can shoot it
Rifles do not cost a fortune
Works in rifles and pistols
Effective on small game
Does not cause excessive damage to the animals
Report does not scare livestock

What more could you want?

How much to stockpile

Lets use a simple number of 10 - 10 rounds a day to put some kind of meat on the table. If you have a 20 percent success rate, this means you could get 2 animals a day.

Now lets say you have 3,000 rounds stockpiled. At 10 rounds a day, that is 300 days.
6,000 rounds - 600 days

For a long term SHTF / TEOTWAWKI survival situation, I would aim for no less then 5,000 rounds or 22 long rifle. 5,000 rounds at 10 rounds a day would give you a little over 1.3 years of small game ammunition.

1.3 years may not sound like a lot for a long term survival situation, but that is a very conservation number. We have not added in farm animals, chickens, fishing, gardening, deer, hogs, birds,,,,, food provided from other sources.

Even in a total SHTF / Breakdown of society event, its going to be unlikely that you will be hunting "every" day.

Related forum threads

How much ammo for shtf
Stockpiling Survival Rifle Ammunition
How much ammo for long term survival
Stockpiling ammo for a long term survival situation

·
Opinionated old fart.
8,046 Posts
Kev, I saw a nice package yesterday. Academy sporting goods store is selling a 1600 rd can of CCI MiniMag 40grain .22lr in a nice plastic ammo can for $99. That would cost about $130 at chinamart in individual boxes.

True, you can buy the 333 or 555 round boxes of cheaper stuff, but the mini mags WILL WORK in any .22lr IMO.

·
Life, Liberty,& Happiness
1,000 Posts
I seem to mostly stock the Federal bullets, and they work about 99% in my Ruger 10/22 and my Savage model 5 bolt action. I probably should purchase some subsonic ammo though, as it seems to be a popular and logical suggestion.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
subsonic really needed? I mean, how MUCH quieter is it really?
To take care of ***** and opossums, my dad uses shorts instead of long rifle.

Also, subsonic is supposed to be more accurate then hypersonic. There is a thread somewhere in this forum talking about hypersonic vs subsonic 22 long rifle

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Smart people stock deep on .22lr ... IMHO. :)

I figure its race to see what will happen first; either the cost of ammo will skyrocket so high that I won't be able to afford to shoot anymore, or the thing we're all prepping for occurs. Either way, the .22lr is the cheapest and most efficient round available. I figure for most of what will need shooting the .22lr will be plenty, and for the other chores, which I estimate to be less frequent, you prep as well.

·
1,000 Posts
when you hear how quiet they are youll be amazed. i love subs in almost any round
Not trying to Hi-Jack your thread Kev, just responding.

I've never tried sub-sonic in any caliber, but I am curious for any info or experience with subsonic ammo, or even a link to a ballistic comparison chart of calibers using subsonic rounds, that would be great.

I kinda live in the boonies (so not a great counter selection of ammo at the local shops), and I only get into the CITY less than once a month (that's when I get to go on a grabbing spree, as in I grab everything I can afford that isn't available to me back at home), so I'd like to get some direction for future purchases of sub-sonic rounds.

More specifically, to not hijack the thread P.M. if you'd like any info (by YOU, I mean anyone) on subsonic rounds if applicable/available on these calibers,

25-06 Remington,
40 s&w,
357 sig,
9mm,
22 LR,

Now assume I know nothing about sub-sonic ballistics, and as of now I am not a reloader, but that info is still good as I plan to get into it in the future.

Thanks.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
1,000 Posts
Smart people stock deep on .22lr ... IMHO. :)

I figure its race to see what will happen first; either the cost of ammo will skyrocket so high that I won't be able to afford to shoot anymore, or the thing we're all prepping for occurs. Either way, the .22lr is the cheapest and most efficient round available. I figure for most of what will need shooting the .22lr will be plenty, and for the other chores, which I estimate to be less frequent, you prep as well.
You just had to say things that made sense.

And now I'm just waiting for the 22 bashing to start.

Then Kev's thread will be turned into another 22 vs 223 vs 12 gauge vs 357 mag vs 308 vs squirrel thread.

Making the popcorn right now, and I'm pulling up an extra recliner for Grevlin, he should be here soon.

I joke, I joke, that stuff wouldn't happen on Kev's thread would it now?

·
1,000 Posts
Here is thread where we were discussing 22 long rifle subsonic

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=5450

Here is the article - http://archives.gunsandammo.com/content/super-subsonics

In short, 22 shorts do less damage to the meat, and on shots over 75 yards are more accurate then hypersonic 22 long rifle.
That was an old thread, and didn't get much attention.

Which is too bad because that is some surprising info, and more people should know about it.

Thanks Kev.

·
Get off my lawn!
4,549 Posts
The only issue to be aware of with some 22 LR subsonics is that they may not reliably cycle the action on a semi-auto. In a bolt/lever action or single shot, obviously that's not a problem.

But yeah - stock up on 22LR! :)

·
Father of 11 husband of 1
10,900 Posts
Funny you should mention trying different types and brands. Just last week I picked a couple of boxes of Federal Champions, Winchester HV, and Thunderbolt (supposedly an "improved" version.) I took them to the range, along with different types of CCI.

All worked well but the Buck Mark didn't like the Champions as much. My groups were very tight but almost a half an inch below all the others. My Mrk III didn't care, the Champions were just about the same as all the others. I have had problems with the Thunderbolts in the past but these worked fine.

The best in both pistols was the CCI Mini-Mags, hollow point and solid point was pretty much the same. I tried a few Stingers and they were just a little higher but not much. (I don't usually run Stingers through semi-autos.)

I like to use .22 shorts through my Henry Lever Action. They are really quiet compared to even the sub-sonics.

I put a few sub-sonics through an old Marlin/Glenfield 75 the other day and it wasn't much louder than a good pellet gun.

Regarding the Mini-Mags, a short time ago I shot up some for the early to mid 70s and it was still excellent.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That was an old thread, and didn't get much attention.

Which is too bad because that is some surprising info, and more people should know about it.
The article talks about distances over 75 yards. When you are shooting squirrels and rabbits, a 75 yard shot is going to be a little far. But then again, if you hunt in wide open areas, you might be shooting rabbits at 100 yards.

Several years ago I read an article about hunting rabbits. The examples that were of people shooting in wide open areas, which would probably be 75 - 125 yards.

Under 75 yards, I do not know if 22 short is more accurate the long rifle.

This goes back to stockpiling the best ammunition for your situation.

·
1,000 Posts
The only issue to be aware of with some 22 LR subsonics is that they may not reliably cycle the action on a semi-auto. In a bolt/lever action or single shot, obviously that's not a problem.

But yeah - stock up on 22LR! :)
That's why I own one of each, the good ones all go for the 10/22, and everything else gets eaten by the Savage model 5.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Two things to comment on;

First, subsonic .22lr is the same as the old target loads. It is quieter and it is easy to silence using home made supressors if the need ever arises for urban foraging at night. It is also extremely accurate, even for your one shot in the simiauto.

I have a single shot specifically set up for the subsonic Aquillia. Flashlight under the barrel and a red dot on top. SHTF, most of your hunting is going to be at night.

Second, when you switch brands you also switch point of impact. If you have ever done any serious ammo testing you know that the POI will shift as much as 3" between brands. That is enough shift to miss the supper meal. Chances are you will not have enough extra ammo or the security to rezero you rifle if you have a "stockpile" of 20 different brands.

Find what your rifle likes now and concentrate on that brand.

·
1,000 Posts
sarge - CCI MiniMags are really the only thing that shoots reliable and well in my Walther P-22's. Nice guns, but picky on ammo.
I've been in the market for a semi-auto 22 pistol for a long time, but it always get put on the back burner.

Almost grabbed a P-22 a few years back, but the dealer told me they were ammo picky, almost got a Ruger Mark 3 but then heard about the Ruger SR22, now I'm waiting to see if the SR22 will prove itself before deciding between the two. Not sure if they would operate any better with various ammo types either though.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts