Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Come quickly Lord
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you stock up and rotate your food in storage so that the oldest stuff is in the front?

Do you wish there was an easy way to help out your community?

I have a challenge to some of you who stock up your pantry specifically for when TSHTF. As you continue to build your food supply, move the older stuff to the front. Anything that comes within 3 months of expiration could be used to help support your community. For example, if I had 10 cans of vegetables, fruit, or tuna in my pantry that were going to expire in August of 2008, I could eat it OR I could use it to better the community I live in. Take it to your local soup kitchen or find a charity that supports single parent families.

Imagine the effect that this could have!

After talking with my husband, we've decided that this is what we are going to do with our food that comes that close to expiration. After all, I have a weekly food budget. The food that I'm stocking up on I only planned on eating if TSHTF. So why not use it for a cause greater than me?

So my challenge to you all, is that those of you who have a heart for helping others consider donating your close-to-expired canned goods.

Reactions: Yorkshire Boy

·
Watchin tha world go by
8,151 Posts
the only old stores which git donated are the remaining venison when the present years hunt is at the processor. so far it has been all of the prevoius years hunt, looks like this year will be about 150 lbs of frozen meat

Reactions: 4giv3n1

·
Registered
6 Posts
Personal care items could be donated as well. Right now we have a 10% unemployment rate in our county. The utilities in a local town went up 27% in the last few months. The agencies that try to help the people in our county are struggling to keep up with the need of so many. Money that is available is going for housing and utilities, personal products are on the want list of many instead of the need list.

·
Registered
4 Posts
our food bank is not gov supported and we do not look at the use by dates - unless the can is bulging at all we take it - we are too hurting for food to do otherwise - we get dented cans from some stores and happy to get them - also get cookies,crackers,nuts,cereal out of date and it tastes just fine - many of our workers are also getting food boxes so they know when things are bad so we rotate our food also but it is not just 3 months from use by date - at bit past but we are eating it and tastes just fine so we figure they would like it and the food bank is so happy to have cans that are not dented - there are some food drives in this small town but this town is not that well off to get that much

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.