Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you could never buy this stuff ever again due to either crash of the dollar or no more manufacturing due to a major economic disruption; how much on hand of each would you feel comfortable with?

Size examples being Hoppes #9 Solvent in 5oz bottle and Hoppes or Break-Free in 4oz bottles.

In those size bottles; how many of each would you feel comfortable having?

Also, how about brass bore brushes? How many for each caliber?

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
Good question. I still have two unopened quart containers of military gun oil I have had for about 10 years. Brushes I buy several times a year, so have a bunch in good condition. Probable enought to last me another 10 years.

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
no but will take a picture of one of mine tomorrow or the next day. Got to get out and dig it out of the shop. Beige metal with black block writing. Kind of looks militaryish you know.

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
In a SHTF situation, plinking and target shooting is pretty much over, so a minimal amount of solvent should last a good long while. And as for lube, a quart of the highly popular Mobil 1 synthetc for $4.00 will also.

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
I've got a couple Gal jugs of CLP

I bought ~ 30 cans of RIG when the company was going out of busness.

I have several cans of Red Lithium grease here, and a few there...

I buy the cheap Chinamart cans of lube to blast dirt outa guns by the flat...

I like Boresnakes, and have them here and there.

I don;t have enough for a lifetime, but I have enough for awhile.

+1 on using Mobil1 or others if there is nothing else... THere is NOT a plant for making gun lube... (And you think your gun gets hotter than your car?)

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
In a SHTF situation, plinking and target shooting is pretty much over, so a minimal amount of solvent should last a good long while. And as for lube, a quart of the highly popular Mobil 1 synthetc for $4.00 will also.

I prefer Amsoil it's American made.

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
Can you find a pic online of what the container for that mil oil looks like?
Think green can, various but usually rectangular, Olive drab, black lettering starting "lsa" or some such.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Oil and Cleaner

I have been using ed's red for a long time. I mixed the batch up in a 1 gallon gas can and marked it over 2 years ago, still have most of it.

You can get the raw material real cheap and make it a gallon at a time.

I do need to stock up on Rem Oil.

As far as the truck goes, I should probably lay in at least a couple of oil changes worth, and I think that I will go extended drain periods (6000-7500 miles). That is asuming the availability of gas will last that long.

Try the ED's red works real good. I made it without the acetone as I don't have a plastic buildup in my pistol and rifles.

Merry Christmas all.

Martin

·
Registered
66 Posts
Ed's red, synthetic motor oil, non chlorinated brake parts cleaner, white lithium grease, etc Are all alternatives to specialized gun products that will work almost as well. Things must really be bad if you cant find those products.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
i use this carrie on my weapon cleaning kit.
oits weapon cleaning kit for the 45.acp cal pistol along the 40 cal pistol
cleaning parts. for my duty pistol
-x-bottle of mp-7-clean-lube-protector oil-x-4.oz sized bottle
-x-diff wieghts of the brian enos slide glide lube for diff things on the pistol netal parts
on the pistol slide rails barrels and supp reassmbly after the cleaning of the supp unit-x-4.oz tub
-x-galco holster company leather holster oil for the duty pistol leather belt holster and off side mag pouch along the duty pistol belt ..it a one step typle cleaner and conditioner typle oil items for to keep your holster and leather items looking new and not worn out -x-4,oz bottle
some of the items are design more a 1911 pistol and my duty glock pistol
you can get most of this items in a 1 gallon sized bottle and 4.oz tubs and bottles sized
units

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
the brian enos slide glide comes in diff wieghts for diff weather conditions and other things that comes into factor when carrieing in diff weather conditions

·
All around gun nut
202 Posts
Solvents... Ed's red, Found on the web. Automatic trans fluid, posted on an Armilite technical update. Gm upper cyl. cleaner! The GM stuff is basically the same as Shooters choice MC7. But cost bout 5 bucks for a pint at you local GM dealer! And it works great!! Found this one on 6MM Benchrest site! These guys do not put anything in their barrels that may harm them or does not work!!!
Lubes.... Mobil1 5w30 is the one I use for 99% of all my firearm lubracation!
Unless I am shooting lead bullets, I hardly use brushes. I buy bulk cotton flannel at any good fabric store and cut my patches to size.
And I am gettin some pics together to make a post to show how to make your own pocket. pull thru. barrel cleaner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts