Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been needing to do this, I mean Kev's been saying it for over a year, but it's time to lay in some garden supplies. Today I went to town with the mission to buy some bulk fertilizer and seeds. I also bought some chicken wire and hardware cloth to build cages and hutches as well. At the feed store, seeds were kinda scarce. It's just not that time of year, but they did have some lima beans, black eye peas, and okra. They had some bush beans and other stuff like carrots. I really wanted purple hull peas and pinto beans. The lady there said they don't get bulk seed until March. That might be to late, if you have been watching the news. I got two bags of 13-13-13 fertilizer and two 40# bags of granulated lime. If your soil has even a slight acid ph, you need to sweeten it with some lime. The 13-13-13 was $15.50 a bag and the lime was $6.50 each. I'm going to start buying a couple of bags each payday, and just stock them in the shed. If next spring the economy is ok, I might just start a small garden. If not, I might need enough seed and fertilizer to plant a couple of acres. I bought a couple of rakes and shovels last year, but I might need 4 or 5 sets so I can put all my hungry family and friends to work in the garden. I've been reluctant to let my mind get around the idea of total economic collapse, but things are not looking good. It's time to at least start heading in the direction of living off the land. You better have at least the beginnings of putting in a garden, and raise some animals.
Years ago, we used to put in some nice gardens, but the last 10 years, I've just not had the will to get it done. I've let my tractor sit broken for too long with a flat rear tire. I'm going to make an effort to get it fixed, as I have a killer PTO driven 5 foot wide roto tiller for it, that would make quick work of plowing up the hard clay soil we have here. I also have a turning plow and middle buster attachment. When I first moved out here in the country, I was really into the farming life style, raising pigs, chickens, while running my commercial green house operation. I've let everything go down the tubes, but most of my equipment and all my knowledge is still somewhat intact.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Please share your knowledge and your mistakes. I had multiple sets of tools for the garden before the nephews got them. I need to pick them up and start an inventory lost. Hardware cloth has been weighing on my mind ltley and screen too. I tend to pick up any screens I see at the curb. Any suggestions on what hardware cloth sizes get the most use? I was thinking or building plant cages to protect my stuff from the squirrels and rabbits from screens but maybe you have a better design?

Bobo

1 - 2 of 2 Posts