Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:eek::Does anyone have a cure for the dreaded stinging nettle got a handful today while helping Hubby clean up our yard.
Not a Doc to be seen (the herb not the person).
Its still giving me some greive.:eek::

·
Mountain Critter
914 Posts
Best thing I've found is simple mud. Just rub it on in the field right after you get stung, and it takes the sting right out. I do not know whether or not this will be effective hours after the fact, but it's worth a try.

·
Simple Minded
18 Posts
I agree with the mud application. We used to do that while hanging around the river banks in summer when I was a kid. Another usefull plant is jewelweed. Do a google search for its identification. Jewelweed grows in the same places that nettles do in many instances.
Finally, you might try vineager. They use vineager to treat jellyfish stings I believe. The stinging part of stinging nettles comes from the formic acid they contain.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Grandmother said just put mud on it goes to the garden gets water and a handful of dirt makes mud and it works really well

·
woefully unprepared
1,489 Posts
Baking soda? Never tried it...

I know for a real experience, try taking your shirt off and running a weedeater through a patch of them. You might end up running around looking for water....

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
No no no, not vinegar. The nettle is laced with acid and that is what is causing the pain. Vinegar is acid and will only make things worse. Try a paste of baking soda. The classic antidote is juice of the jewelweed or dock, maybe plantain, but they are not available now. I got stung last week while making a video about them and I used a baking soda paste. It worked in a couple of hours, which is better than stinging for days. I will up load the video this month to my site though I have an article there now. By the way the juice of the nettle is supposed to be good for the sting but I have never found it to work at all.

·
Registered
7 Posts
stinging nettles

the best thing is don't scratch it cause the stinging will go away in about 5 to 10 minutes but if you scratch it it will sting for an hour or more

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
the best thing is don't scratch it cause the stinging will go away in about 5 to 10 minutes but if you scratch it it will sting for an hour or more
The stings I did nothing to burned for more than two days, especially when I put my hands in water. Of course, I also happened to drop the most potent of nettle of all on my hand.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Everyone reacts differently to nettles. My mother swells up like a balloon and itches for days. I can gather them for hours and end up with just a slight, not unpleasant tingling sensation. My son doesn't react to them at all.

Plantain is usually easy to find, mullien leaves bruised slightly and rubbed on the sight usually work, then there's the all time best natural cure, jewelweed, but that can be hard to find if you're not near water.

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
Everyone reacts differently to nettles. My mother swells up like a balloon and itches for days. I can gather them for hours and end up with just a slight, not unpleasant tingling sensation. My son doesn't react to them at all.

Plantain is usually easy to find, mullien leaves bruised slightly and rubbed on the sight usually work, then there's the all time best natural cure, jewelweed, but that can be hard to find if you're not near water.
While the nettle is growing here now, the rest are not.

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
Lick the stung part and blow on it, works for me. :D:

Or maybe try calamine lotion (that pink stuff in the bottle that smells funny) put it on a cotton ball and daube the affected area.

·
Registered
58 Posts
These are supposed to work, give it a try, pretty certain you will have them in your part of the world.Crush the leaf and apply directly to site of irritation.
These do work. As with most annoying plants the cure is typically not too far away from the offending plant. These large leaf plants, a.k.a. 'elephant leaves' can take the sting, swelling, and itching if applied quickly. Remember to apply with the flow of the hair on the skin.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts