Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pretty much had my mind made up on a Remington 700 in either .308 or .30-06 until I found a good deal on a Weatherby in 7mm Remington magnum. Opinions suggestions?

·
Registered
650 Posts
I like 7mm since they are offered in high BCs compared to .30cal bullets. I'm not a big fan of Weatherbys...I think they are over priced and over rated.

If you reload, the 7mm is a great choice since Berger, Hornady and other companies offer some crazy BCs in their line up.

·
Layman
2,873 Posts
I've always thought that .30-06 was the main hunting rifle caliber, followed by .270 and then .308

i personally would get the .30-06 or .308 .

·
space samurai
455 Posts
i would take a vangaurd over a 700 any day of the week.

if your serious, there are .30 cal bullets out there with higher BC's than any 7mm. but you will pay for it in recoil, gotta pay to play.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
i would take a vangaurd over a 700 any day of the week.

if your serious, there are .30 cal bullets out there with higher BC's than any 7mm. but you will pay for it in recoil, gotta pay to play.
I agree with you as if build another rifle from the ground up it will likely involve a Vangaurd action.

I own a 308, 30-06 and a couple of 7mm Rem Mags. If its strictly for hunting the 7mm Mag is hard to beat especially if you dont reload. Minimal recoil over the 30-06 and flatter shooting thanks to the extremely high BC of most bullets in that caliber loaded in factory ammuntion. But honestly, my 308 gets about 10 times more use and range time than the other three rifles in the two chamberings. It doesnt look as good on paper as the 7mm, but it doesnt take nearly as much powder as the 7mm to get the job done. Yeah the 30-06 can best it by about 100-150 fps, especially when using bullets over 180 grains but I havent found a deer that has noticed the difference in the two, just gotta hold over an extra inch or two at 400 yards, thats all.

Go with the 308. There is a lot to be said about efficeintcy, mild recoil and terminal performance. The 308 has all three!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts