Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Earthwalker.
10,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Inspired by the Hogs finnish type knife with the rat tail or stick tang i thought id have a go at a Swedish type mora clone.

My friend gave me a nice piece of sheffield steel for the blade and i had a few pieces of wood what i got as samples:thumb: there is also a piece of brass to make the end caps with,the black stuff is a special type of hard plastic,i have no ebony so this will have to do.

So here it is

Attachments

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts
I imagine that you will blunt the end of the tang once is protrudes out the end of the handle? That would be about the only way to keep it from sliding out from the handle. I look forward to the finished product.

Reactions: AncientBrit

·
Earthwalker.
10,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I imagine that you will blunt the end of the tang once is protrudes out the end of the handle? That would be about the only way to keep it from sliding out from the handle. I look forward to the finished product.
yes ill use a pinning hammer,well i think thats what its called,the round end of the hammer.

I think the hardest part of making this knife is cutting that brass level.:eek:

·
Registered
439 Posts
Looks reaaaally good so far Sticks. Can't wait to see the finished, or should I say "Swedished" product.......(silence, crickets chirping)....... OK, that was bad.

I'm sure the knife will come out great. Yours always do. :)

·
veldskoen no socks
2,715 Posts
If this looks good, which it undoubtly will, you will have set a level so mine is going to have to look good too, damn I hate these projects!!

·
Semper non compos mentis
1,578 Posts
yes ill use a pinning hammer,well i think thats what its called,the round end of the hammer.

I think the hardest part of making this knife is cutting that brass level.:eek:
If you know someone with a lathe, maybe they could turn it off for you. Maybe even shape it somewhat??

Keep 'em coming sticks, I like your projects. I have just pulled the two worn cutter bars off my ride-on mower to play with. Again you inspire. :thumb:

·
Earthwalker.
10,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you know someone with a lathe, maybe they could turn it off for you. Maybe even shape it somewhat??

Keep 'em coming sticks, I like your projects. I have just pulled the two worn cutter bars off my ride-on mower to play with. Again you inspire. :thumb:
Ive decided to not go with the brass,ive just ordered a 3mm thick piece of nickel silver for the bolster and end cap as i think next to the black this will look nicer and i don't have to cut that big piece of bloody brass:thumb:

Thanks Herne,glad i inspired you and good look with your knife making Bro.:)

·
Earthwalker.
10,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
heres the next step.Today i got the parts of the handle to fit the tang,I drilled through the wood and then heated a rod up and burned out the wood until it fitted.

i left 3mm at the bolster so i can fit the silver piece on.

Attachments

·
veldskoen no socks
2,715 Posts
Looking realy good Bru,I am watching the progress and will use your ideas shamelessly, kind of industrial espionage!!!

·
Earthwalker.
10,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looking realy good Bru,I am watching the progress and will use your ideas shamelessly, kind of industrial espionage!!!
Thats fine with me Bru,your stick tang knife set me on the road to this one.

heres the next step.
Ive glued the black plastic [theres a proper name for it of which i do not know:rolleyes:]to the wood,now Ray Mears glued it all together on the tank but my name ain't Ray its John and we are doing this my way.
the way i did this was to glue the pieces together on the tang then clamp it and pull the tang out and let it dry,then i pushed the tang back through so i had something to hold on to while i sanded the handle.

the next step will be to drill the bloster and end cap when i get them.

Attachments

·
Earthwalker.
10,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Looks great Bru, The black 'ebony' has worked well.The silver bolster will compliment it.
HE hE fake ebony:thumb:

I also think the nickel silver will compliment it:D:

the wood is beautiful but i have no clue what it is apart from it hardwood.

Its not a big knife the blade is only 3 3/4"and the handle is only 3",add another 6mm for the bolster and end cap and thats the lot.

i think it will make a nice little camping knife.:thumb:

·
Junior Oldie
817 Posts
Glad you decided on this project. I have a pseudo-puukko whose handle came unglued, so needs to be epoxied back together. I have been thinking of rehandling it with wood instead of the rubber it came with (although I like the rubber handle). Your project is encouraging me a bit as its looking so good. Now, if the doc would just sign off on me using the left hand...

·
Earthwalker.
10,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I forgot to mention,i didn't use files for the hole in the wood for the tang i drilled it then heated up a metel rod and burned the shape out until i got a nice tight fit,cheeting i know,but i never said it was the right way just my way.:thumb:

I will say though that if you tried this burning idea with soft wood it would catch fire:eek:

·
Registered
439 Posts
I forgot to mention,i didn't use files for the hole in the wood for the tang i drilled it then heated up a metel rod and burned the shape out until i got a nice tight fit,cheeting i know,but i never said it was the right way just my way.:thumb:

I will say though that if you tried this burning idea with soft wood it would catch fire:eek:
Nah, I don't think it's cheating. It's pretty clever. :thumb:

·
Earthwalker.
10,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Here a couple of pics of were im at now with this project.

Ive sanded the handle and rounded it some more ,im just waiting for my nickel silver for the bolster and end cap,ive come to a stand still until they arrive.:rolleyes:

the last picture is just for scale.:)If anyone can tell me what the wood is id be very greatfull.:)

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts