Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at sterno cans for my GHB (BOB) for a cheap way to cook. I also thought of taking the top and bottom off from a used tin can and drill holes in the sides for air. Put the tin can over the sterno for a pan stand and wind block. I think this would make a good little stove in a pinch. Especially for the cost, 2 cans cost under $3.00, tin can from recycling bin for free! Has anyone done this? How well do you think it would work?

Huck

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'm using a Magic Stove with the Magic Heat cans. I bought the stove and (1) can for $4 at Ace Hardware. The Magic Heat fuel cans are about $4 for 2 7oz cans. Average time to boil 2 cups of water is 10 minutes. When I'm camping I'm not rushing anything so ten minutes is nothing to me. It's like Sterno, but it's not. :)

·
Looking ahead
2,178 Posts
The sterno can stove works
The bottom left picture is one.

Attachments

Reactions: joes

·
Registered
525 Posts
sterno and hobo stoves

I just added cans of Sterno and tin cans to our B.O.B's. I have been using Esbit folding stoves in my kit, but I don't currently have enough of the fuel tabs left, so the Sterno becomes my work around until I get more. The tin can "hobo" type stoves have been used for decades. I used them back in the boy scouts in the 60's with twigs. Twigs work well in the same tin can stove. My plan would be to use the tin can stove with twigs, and save the Sterno for conditions that made it necessary. Sterno does not get very hot, but it does work when the wood is wet. The big Sterno cans burn for about 2.5 hours if I remember correctly, a lot longer than my Esbit stoves. If your stuck with an electric range in a power outage, having Sterno and the same tin can stove will work great just sitting on the top of your dead kitchen range. By the way, Sterno wont spill if the can is tipped over, a good thing. It is way simple but works fine.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Picked up 20 cans of sterno on clearance at local grocery store last week for 50 cents each. :) Figured it was worth it just to have as a backup for the Coleman stove. Put a couple in the bob, and the rest in the bov.

·
Banned
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I currently only carried food items I do not have to cook. I thought I should include a heat source for cooking. I am leary of carrying a liquid cook stove (coleman fuel) due to spillage. I dont like LP bottles, heavy & expensive. I will pickup some sterno and give it a try. Cost is insignificant. I also did a google search after posting here and found sterno makes a collapsable stove for a few dollars also. That would make a compact addition for the GHB verses a can that is not collapsable.

Huck

·
Registered
136 Posts
The Magic Heat fuel cans go for almost 6 hours. I like the fact that it's non-pressurized and will not burn if spilled. You can't beat a natural-fueled fire though.

·
Registered
323 Posts
The magic stove when empty can be used with a pepsi can stove.

Magic heat works a lot like sterno.

Adapt the stove with your Military Swiss Army Trangia stove, like I did. This works well and heats fast.

Don

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I keep a dozen or so cans around.other than cooking, it makes a good fire starter also. I have always used the folding sterno stove when using sterno to cook with.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.