Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a 39 yo childless woman in a long term relationship with a man who also doesn't want children, I've recently taken the step of getting sterilised. Whilst it was easy to explain that as a couple we didn't want children, I certainly wasn't going to admit to the gynae that I was planning for WTSHTF and fell back on explaining that my partner is younger than me by a few (7) years and he might change his mind.

Have any of you considered or gone through sterilisation as a prep?

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Im about the same age as you and already have several children but feel that surgery didnt make as much sense because I am toward the end of my reproductive years anway. At 39, fertility levels have declined and you wont need birth control much longer. Why surgery now as opposed to 10 years ago? Were you on the fence about having children until now? If your partner does change his mind, would you adopt?

·
Registered
9,113 Posts
At 45 Im out of the childbearing age, but women have had children later then that. Out of choice I wouldnt have a child now due to the problems that it may cause to myself or the child.

In the UK you cant get sterilised unless you have a very good medical reason. I knew of one poor girl in her late 20s, with 6 children who was having a horrendous time with her periods but was refused.

I do intend to have my ovaries removed at some point as my mother died of Ovarian Cancer.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've never been on the fence, sure since as early as I can remember as a small child. I suppose I always thought it would be difficult to convince the medics as a young childless and until 4 years ago partnerless woman. Also I only started getting interested in prepping in the last few years and started to think about what would happen if contraceptive supplies ran low, or even if civil disturbance & sexual assaults became more commonplace. I think I would have been hauled off to the psych ward if I gave that as a reason though!

My other half has even less interest in kids than me, he will get the snip at some point, just not practical this year with his career. But if he did change his mind, he would not consider adoption. We live in the UK and the social services here are nazis. There is no way either of us would voluntarily let a social worker into our house and life. Can't see him coming over all paternal though!!! :eek:

I don't know what sort of reaction I would have got from the medics at 25 or even 35, but both Drs I saw, 1st my GP (UK family doc) (young, female, 2 smalls kids, asian) and 2nd my gynae consultant (50s, female, asian) were very matter of fact. Asked me was I sure, why, did I know I wouldn't get a reversal paid for on the NHS and then booked me in. Less than 3 months from first bringing up the topic to the op being done.

In fact the only disapproval I ever got from a medic was a young african doc (who I was seeing on other non-gynae matters) who was shocked and horrified and could not grasp the concept that some people do not feel the need to reproduce!

·
workin on it......
1,110 Posts
some people = women? lol You know I think a good number of males would think twice about it also if they had to endure it. Endure the vomiting,swelling,hormones,danger of the birth itself,the chance of infection or hemorrhaging, all the complications that can arise while gestating. Its a dangerous process even in this day and age.

Both of mine were accidents, but I did what I had to do and raised them. They were called home early but I have to say, that I enjoy not havng kids of any age around now. I can't really tolerate the things anymore.They make too much noise and at inappropriate times and have no manners what so ever.

If you feel no need to have a child good for you. I wouldn't let it worry me.
It does seem an expensive "prep", but it could save your life in the long run if you became pregnant and then developed some problem and there was no medical help available because an "event" had happened and made that impossible to get.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, that was the vibe I got from him. How could you, a woman, not want to do what is natural etc blah blah. I do wonder whether I would have faced more of a challenge if my GP and gynae had been men?

As far as cost is concerned, contraception (and healthcare in general) is "free" at the point of delivery in the UK, so no outlay for the op (unless you count all the tax/national insurance I have paid over past 26 years...)

·
Patient Zero of WWZ
5,334 Posts
But if all the prepper women are sterilized, How are we going to repopulate the world after TEOTWAWKI?

I just realized that may have sounded like a smart a**ed joke. It's not. It's a serious question.

Of course I visited the vet and got clipped about 30 years ago. So I guess I have no room to criticize.

·
Tell the truth, coward.
15,585 Posts
I have no opinion on getting your tubes tied, it's your private choice - but I probably would not do anything so intense on the basis of teotwowki. It might not wowk.

I would do it on the basis of not wanting children in this world as we have it.

Me, I will never get sterilised till my plumbing shuts down naturally, because me like babies. :D: Me love babies but me understand if other people not wanting babies... can I having their babies please?

:D:

·
Registered
9,113 Posts
But if all the prepper women are sterilized, How are we going to repopulate the world after TEOTWAWKI?

You have a very good point, but at my age I would not be good breeding stock. I have a lot of inherited illness (asthma, alopecia, etc) something I wouldnt want to pass on.

I think a 45 year old pregenant women with no hospital or medical facilities, isnt a good idea, plus with the risk of down syndrome, blindness, deafness, etc., I couldnt hurt my child that way even before their born.

·
Wasting your time
158 Posts
Have any of you considered or gone through sterilisation as a prep?
Well, if anything were to happen to my husband or we were to divorce, I would get sterilized. I simply do not want any more children. One is enough. My husband has already had a vasectomy, so there is no real reason right now for me to do anything.

If we were going to play Mad Max and I had some warning, you bet your azz I'd be sterilized. The main reason would be in case of rape. Secondary would be childbirth. Not interested in possibly dying over a fetus I didn't want in the first place.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I might consider it in the future, but as it stands I am a young, healthy woman who wants more children some day. The possibility of SHTF isn't enough to make me give up the opportunity of having more children. I really don't think it's a viable "preparation" unless you never want kids (like OP said), end of the world or not.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I got sterilized 3 and a half years ago. Not as a prep thing, but because I don't want kids.

It took ten years of begging my doc to do it, and I'm pretty sure the only reason he conceded was because I was going in for a laparoscopy anyway to take care of severe scarring due to a botched appendectomy.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
I was pregnant with my second child when I told my doc I wanted my tubes tied before I ever left the hospital after the second child. He gave me some hassle, I was only 22 but I was having the second kid and knew I didn't want any more. He did it, but I had to sign papers saying I knew I wouldn't be able to have kids any more. This was simply because we wanted to stop at 2 kids. My daughter is considering it even after having only one child. She doesn't want to bring another child into this world we live in. She is considering adoption though.

·
Registered
69 Posts
tons of kids that need homes! i have 3 kids and had my tubes tied with the last one. i have always told my friends (and you ladies qualify) that if you definitely DONT want kids - tie them off and go about your life with less worry every 28 days. if you dont want to do it - maybe you want a baby and should look into that. with all of our kids, i'm feeling PRETTY good about the decision and it didnt hurt at all. i did have it with a c section so was kind of distracted by that - but i didnt feel anything inside at all.

·
Registered
69 Posts

I just realized that may have sounded like a smart a**ed joke. It's not. It's a serious question.

Of course I visited the vet and got clipped about 30 years ago. So I guess I have no room to criticize.

I say - LET THE MEN HAVE THEM! (another smart a$$ comment to go with yours! lol)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Don't think I'd take this step on a prepping basis, but it sounds like you had other solid reasons. I have included a bunch of plan-B (morning after pill) assorted condoms, non-hormonal BC (hormonal f's me up) pee-on-a-stick pregnancy tests in my preps. Most of this stuff has a shelf life, but as I work with at risk young adults and have many sexually active female friends of impregnating age, I need it in the closet anyway.

I believe one's Bug Out Brain is the most important prep and have been learning natural family planning (based on point in fertility cycle, mucus, temp, etc) for TEOTWAWKI and as a cheapo-backup plan for now, as well as studying herbal birth control. Most interesting discovery so far? A tablespoon of Queen Anne's Lace (the common North American name, but it's a European weed,) seeds well chewed and swallowed are nature's morning after birth control. Found a fair bit of substantiation for this, even a small clinical study, and it was first recommended by my gynaecologist. Only side effect? Horrible taste. Google it.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts