Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Bread Baker
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok folks. Looks like I, in the very near future, will be looking for a rifle. Im looking for suggestions. I would like something that is a step up from a .22 Light on recoil, something that my wife and child (maybe in a couple of years)would feel comfortable with.

Im open to suggestions. Im also NOT opposed to a .22 Seems that the Ruger 10/22 and the Marlin 60 are very popular. Im just trying to get the most bang for the buck. I would prefer bolt action, but semi-automatic will be considered as well.. In a SHTF, it would be used primarily for small game. I don't have intentions of hunting wild boar or bigfoot.. but I do realize shot placement is key.

so lay it on me:D:

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Look for a gun that is cheap to shoot. .223 or 9mm in a carbine would have the cheapest ammo. 7.62X39 might be too much for them.
.22 LR is hard to beat. Get several rifles.

·
Bravo Zulu
13,133 Posts
Sorry, I thought this was in addition to a .22LR.

My thoughts on this.

First gun: .22 LR
Second gun: 12 ga.
Third gun: Centrefire to suit game/needs.

Over here, a .243 will be suitable for most hunting needs. Some places, the minimum calibre for deer is 7mm, and in other areas we have scrub bulls, buffalo and camels, which is where the .308 (and greater) comes in damn handy.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Ok folks. Looks like I, in the very near future, will be looking for a rifle. Im looking for suggestions. I would like something that is a step up from a .22 Light on recoil, something that my wife and child (maybe in a couple of years)would feel comfortable with.

Im open to suggestions. Im also NOT opposed to a .22 Seems that the Ruger 10/22 and the Marlin 60 are very popular. Im just trying to get the most bang for the buck. I would prefer bolt action, but semi-automatic will be considered as well.. In a SHTF, it would be used primarily for small game. I don't have intentions of hunting wild boar or bigfoot.. but I do realize shot placement is key.

so lay it on me:D:
AR in 5.56x45 is the way to go:thumb:will shoot 223 also and will kill most anything

·
Registered
363 Posts
Ruger makes a bolt action rifle chambered for .357 Mag.

With .38s in it, it would be very mild and good for small game.

Hot magnum loads would be able to take whitetails.

Later, you could get a good .357 revolver and have a good combo package.

·
+Adcock
3,102 Posts
All good suggestion so far.

.243 is not a cheap route (ammo wise) however it is very low recoiling, accurate and effective round.

I would not say it is a step up from .22 though, it is a serious rifle round, more like 10 steps up.

.223 is a solid choice as it is inexpensive, can be loaded up or down quite a bit and there are literally 100's of rifles to choose from.

Pistol carbines are also a solid choice with the 9mm being your best bet. 9mm shoots at about the same range as .22lr, it is about as flat shooting, it is about the same in all regards except bulk and power.

Bolt action 9mm's don't exist unless you are talking about a custom job or I simply have never seen one. Lots of semi's though.

Since this would be a small game getter you would want the most accurate carbine you can find and also store both plinker and quality ammo.

The Beretta Storm,..

http://www.berettausa.com/products/cx4-storm/

Can be picked up for around $700 or so, matches with 2 of their pistols (mags), is reported to be very accurate, is lightweight, easy to take down, built solid, etc.

Might be a good choice for you.

·
Bread Baker
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I should have mentioned that i currently have a keltec 9mm and a mossburg 12 gauge. Just looking for a rifle to round out the package. Also ammo cost is a concern to me. Which is why i picked the 2 that i mentioned.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Look at Savage bolt actions. Always tend to be less expensive than say Remingtons. The .223 or .308 are both good military rounds with the .223 being the less recoil. My son shot .308 since he was 12. If you want a non military caliber then .243 for the wife or young son.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I should have mentioned that i currently have a keltec 9mm and a mossburg 12 gauge. Just looking for a rifle to round out the package. Also ammo cost is a concern to me. Which is why i picked the 2 that i mentioned.
First you need to decide what you think you will be using the rifle for. Do you plan on hunting, occasional varmints or larger predators/cougar,bear,wolf.

there are many calibers, some will do the same as larger calibers, just have to be a better shot.

Just wanting a rifle to round out the package, is too broad of a statement.

If you want a rifle for certain situations, then we need to know more information. Is the terrain open or brushy.What type of animals would you be apt to target.

Are you going to be shooting it regularly

I hate to even bring up brush, i hate it when someone says X is a good brush buster. I hope they are not shooting through brush at sounds instead of identifying the target and knowing what is behind the target.

Yes, some calibers are better in brushy areas. But , only because some calibers or bullets are not deflected as easily as smaller and lighter bullets. Sometimes there may be a twig,blade of grass, between you and the target that may not be seen.
This is where the larger heavier bullets may not be deflected, not because they are being blindly fired through brush in the hopes of hitting the target.

Also the military surplus ammo is going to be full metal jacket(at least the common). these are not the best choice for a hunting bullet. They are designed to poke holes instead of expanding to create blood loss and breaking bones, tissue damage.

I'm not saying the full metal jacket bullets wont do major damage, I'm just saying they are not designed like the jacketed game bullets.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Reloading is your friend.
I can load a .223 or 30-06 with cast lead bullets down to even less than .22lr power, recoil and noise. I use them running the trap line, carry a full power load in the rifle and switch to dispatch an animal in a trap. Also great, cheap practice for the kids.
With a little research you can load about anything from where it will only dent a 3/4 plywood backstop at 50' to the max listed, which is about factory ammo level.

Your better half can probably handle a lot more than than you give her credit for. Remember what she went through at the hospital to give you your child? A lot of tiny ladies shoot skeet with 12GA. Kids will grow. In WV I would suggest a 30-30 lever action. I think I am correct that you cannot use semi auto for hunting.

Small enough for the lady and growing kids but big enough for all else. Not enough recoil to worry about. Fast follow up shots, common ammo and plenty of power for deer at 150 yards. In WV woods there are very few shots more than that.

·
Bread Baker
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
First you need to decide what you think you will be using the rifle for. Do you plan on hunting, occasional varmints or larger predators/cougar,bear,wolf.

Just wanting a rifle to round out the package, is too broad of a statement.

If you want a rifle for certain situations, then we need to know more information. Is the terrain open or brushy.What type of animals would you be apt to target.
In my OP I said:

In a SHTF, it would be used primarily for small game. I don't have intentions of hunting wild boar or bigfoot.. but I do realize shot placement is key.
At any rate, last night I decided to pickup a Mossberg 702 Plinkster. Brand new for around $100. I figured for the price, I couldn't go wrong. Now just need to head to the range.

In regards to my wife, she loves the 9mm, doesn't care a thing for the 12 gauge. But.. we have had the talk, in a life and death she would use it.. but would prefer the 9.

·
Registered
7,138 Posts
Ah, get a Marlin 795 for around $100, pickup a few more factory mags and then CCIs/bulk ammo and you are good to go.
the blued model also has a 25 buck rebate until the end of the year. if you can pick it up for 100 ends up being 75

dont forget the 702 plinkster for a little over 100 and the savage for a little over 125 all are semi auto. the 702 uses the mags from thier ar so yuo can get high cap mags. the 795 i havent shot with my high cap mags but heard they have problems.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts