Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a step daughter 11 primary lives with us when food starts getting short
and her dad and step mother and her other brother and sister are out of food
is it my job to invite them to eat what i have prep for are family.
if not how would you tell her sorry but your other family just gonna have to starve.i know they don't have any food or other prep i saw his mother in law
with his wife buying groceries for them already.say we do have to bug out
do i tell her farther i'm taking her to such n such place or invite them along
this part of planning is dificult i don't want to jeperdize my family yet i
don't want to have my daughters upset.i grew up where on holidays my mom
dad and step mom all sat down to holiday feast together hell one year we even thru in a extra chair for one of his x girlfriends so i have no problem with
situations like that i have invited his family for dinner but that has'nt happen
yet each of are kids go to each others houses to play but still complexed on what to do.

·
Agent of Influence
1,938 Posts
If you can prep for the 'other family' then that would be a good thing, but you aren't under an obligation to do so. Your responsibility is to your family, to your step daughter, not to her relatives as well.

If SHTF really does happen we are all going to have to make very hard decisions about who we will help and who we will not. In the end we aren't responsible for other people and their families, we have to put out own first.

·
Go to guy
661 Posts
I the end the word is survival. If she is part of your family then I would include her in the prep. If you plan on inviting the entire family then that is that much more that you are going to have to provide. In the end you have to go one way or the other. Do you invite some or all of them , if so yoou have to prep that much more. Tough decisions are not easy ones.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Prep for her, no questions asked. As for her family, how do you feel about them? Seriously. Are they a risk? Would you worry about being around them, or about them knowing where you are or what you have? It would be awesome if you would prep for them too (if you had the means to do so), but if that would put your family (including your step-child) in jeopardy then I don't think you should. I have 3 step-daughters of my own and I have thought of this many times. I prep for them and have many plans for the what-if's. . . . what if they are with us and we have no way of communicating with/finding their mother? what if we have to bug out? what if they aren't with us? can we get to them? if we do, do we take the whole family (their mother, her other child and her live-in boyfriend)? (One thing we do have to consider is they live very close to a nuclear site. I pray they are with us if the world goes to hell.)

These are tough questions, no doubt. I think you first need to think about whether or not you could "live with them" if TSHTF and go from there.

·
Silent Bob
2,343 Posts
I have to agree with the others here, your only responsible for your family. Something to think about is, people are not going to starve over night. My hope is the ones of us paying attention will see this coming. Personally I would avoid telling them or anyone that what your plans are and what you have prepared. For me breaking contact with her other family during the time of turmoil might be the best thing to do. In doing so you keep your step daughter from having to watch them go through bad times, and you keep vital info about your family within your family.

·
*** Forgives, I don't
1,369 Posts
I have a very large family but a small "immediate" family. In a SHTF situation, not all can come aboard. Only those who skills outweigh the food they will eat are going to be welcomed. I have preached about preps enough to them. If they aren't ready so be it.

However, IF I had a step-child 11 years old. There would be no question. He/she would be allowed. I will be in a "bug-in" situation. My position is different from alot of others though. Tough times call for tough choices but all in all, I won't turn down a kid, just eat less.

·
Registered
247 Posts
It never hurts to be charitable now and then. If you have the means to do so. But the way I see it, If a man fails to prep for his own Household, then he is not providing for thier well being. Chairity...Fine. A common happening with these folks, Theres a problem. Theres no excuse for lazieness.
If the other brother and sister are siblings, by all means you could offer to take them in if you have the means. If they are step family,(even though I hate to see any child without food) they are not your responsibility.
Theres some solid advice in these posts and we all seem to be of like mind for the most part.
Good luck with your decision I.J.

·
I Love This Place
310 Posts
You seem to have a very kind and generous heart. That being said it may hurt you and your family if TSHTF. Your step daughter should be included in your prep but as far as the rest of her family it is not your responsibility.

I live on several acres and am reasonably self sufficent, my parents live just around the corner on several acres and have horses and are also self sufficent. In my prep I have made consideration for my 2 brothers one with a wife the other with a child, my sister and her husband, and my parents. My parents are somewhat on board with survialism. My brothers although not on board with be of great assets because we are all strong young men, along with my brother in-law(lazy but he would come around or get his ass beat on a daily basis). My sister is a Nurse, my mother was a nurse and has very good vet skills. I and my father are both millwrights and both brothers and brother in-law are carpenters. I have often thought about my neighbors and have decided if they offer vaulable skills they are welcome, but if not I am sorry but I am not going to be free handouts. In our future society one must be worth the food he or she will consume and must be ready, willing, and able to protect the community.

You have to ask yourself will your step childs father and family be a productive part of your community or will they be a burden and possible security risk.

Just my thoughts, I have played different scenerios in my head over and over and as much as I would like to be the protector of all that are weak or in need I can not and will not put the lives of those I love and care for in jepordy just to feel good about myself. Many will have to harden their hearts in the near future.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks to all and just to clear it up my step daughter is absolutly included
she is as my own she's been that way since i met her at 3 i am not rich or even well
off but all children hold a spot in my heart i would starve to feed any child.
but having troubles with the adults

·
Improvise Adapt Overcome!
12,005 Posts
My concern:
If the extended family of the step daughter is brought int, what about THIER extended family? What if the half sister has mother she cannot bear to part with? What if she has a second set of half sisters?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Here's my question. . .not only for you, but because I've wondered this many times myself.

First of all, I was a little confused by your first post, but does she live in your house full time, or with her father and you take her in when things get bad there? I ask because many people here have said to keep her with you and not her family, or don't let her family know where she is. If your wife doesn't have full custody, how does that happen? My step-daughters live with their mother full time (except for regular visitation and a little more now that they are older), but how could we just "take" them and expect no one to find us? I realize if things get completely bad, looking for us will be a last resort, but what if things are just pretty bad?

Having split families in the best of times is hard to do, but in times like these it's horrible. I think a lot of us are going to be making some hard decisions pretty soon.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
she does live with us she visits farther on weekends they have joint custody
would have to be super bad riots,total collaspe,civil war or something along
theese lines to run with her without his knowledge.

·
Forever Vigilant
2,260 Posts
It has always been my philosophy to prep not only for my own family (extended included) but also enough for every neighbor I have (fortunately, I do not have that many around me) so that I have more options available when the time comes. If you have enough preps, you will have more options and can make better decisions.

You are a very lucky person to have a close enough relationship with your step daughter's father (and step mother). Most people do not have that kind of relationship. Most have a hate-hate type of relationship and would never want their ex-spouse around, especially for extended periods. Just prep more to open your options. When the time comes, the prevalent situation will dictate your ultimate decision.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts