Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I was visiting my wife's family for the 4th of July weekend, one of my brother-in-laws and I started debating step by step what things would be like if we faced a truly serious and sudden TEOTWAWKI. He, and many of my wife's side of the family, are preppers....not necessarily hard core preppers... but to varying degrees the majority of the family is on board with storing food... living semi-rural... growing fruit/vegitables, and having chickens on the property...

As we discussed the steps, a group started to form, and then one of my sister-in=laws dropped the dime about a documentary that The History Channel made called After Armegeddon. It is step by step a reinactment of what a group of scientists and preppers describe as what will happen post TEOTWAWKI

We pulled it up on The Aftermath Show.... but I also found it on You Tube. If you haven't seen this... it will amaze you. This is practically taken from the pages of this forum.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Thanks for sharing! My boyfriend and I just watched all 9 segments. Eye opening. Although candy coated too. I think things will be much much worse than this and although I wish for a happy ending, It would take a very long time to get to that!

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for sharing! My boyfriend and I just watched all 9 segments. Eye opening. Although candy coated too. I think things will be much much worse than this and although I wish for a happy ending, It would take a very long time to get to that!
I agree... it will be much worse... but I realized why they "sugar coated" it. They had to show a "survivor" so that the show could run through the entire gamut of what people could experience. 90% of the sheeple will get slaughtered very early one. And if they showed the people who got killed instead of the small percentage that got away... the documentary wouldn't last 5 minutes.

But like HI said... if these people had been smart they would have headed out of LA as soon as they recognized TSHTF. Instead they hunkered down until it got so dangerous they could barely escape. The single most dangerous place to me in TEOTWAWKI is inside a major city. I'm technically a "businessman" and I have to make numerous business trips to major cities and often foriegn countries. This means the majority of the time I am unarmed and have almost no gear with me. I do NOT like those kind of trips at all.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
This is practically taken from the pages of this forum.
It probably was. IMO there is very little that is truly original in the survival area whether it is in print or film, which is why I like this forum. Scattered among all the posts about zombies, raiders, cannibals and how to can peaches like your old Aunt Bessie used to are some truly original thoughts and suggestions. It is my opinion that the majority of TV documentaries and those silly apocalyptic TV series are a waste of time.

·
Registered
22,055 Posts
That series was a fun watch, but this guy gets lucky a number of times, else he'd have been dead.

Also love how snidely he makes fun of the guy whose body he loots for owning a gun, "this guy musta thought he was a cowboy!"

Reactions: mumbojumbo

·
Healthy Skeptic
254 Posts
It probably was. IMO there is very little that is truly original in the survival area whether it is in print or film, which is why I like this forum. Scattered among all the posts about zombies, raiders, cannibals and how to can peaches like your old Aunt Bessie used to are some truly original thoughts and suggestions. It is my opinion that the majority of TV documentaries and those silly apocalyptic TV series are a waste of time.
DO NOT knock Aunt Bessie's state fair winning peaches! :)

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
I also watched this on tv, but felt it was candy coated to the extreem.

My son started to wake up a year ago, and has decided to come to the homestead up here when the Euro falls. He has several routs that he and his son could take. This summer they will be hiking along some of them.

You can't just take off without knowing the hardships you will have to face. You need to do some trekking along the paths that you intend to take if you need to escape.

God Bless and keep on prepping.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I'm technically a "businessman" and I have to make numerous business trips to major cities and often foriegn countries. This means the majority of the time I am unarmed and have almost no gear with me. I do NOT like those kind of trips at all.
This is a really bad thing for you. The videos that were on Nat Geo rating survivalists showed one business man who traveled to cities for work. They said thats his BIGGEST downfall and he could get trapped in the wrong place unable to get home if and when it goes down. Any chance of you working from home via conference calls? Good luck to you!

·
Mod Certified PITA!
12,092 Posts
<snip>

But like HI said... if these people had been smart they would have headed out of LA as soon as they recognized TSHTF. Instead they hunkered down until it got so dangerous they could barely escape. The single most dangerous place to me in TEOTWAWKI is inside a major city.

<snip>
That was the problem, though: The father did NOT recognize it was a TSHTF event until it became clear to him everything was breaking down and safety was no longer a given. He kept insisting that a simple pandemic could not cause a collapse, that everything would get back to normal, and since his usual means of gathering information - TV, radio, phone - were non-functional, it was only when he actually got out and saw what was happening that he realized he was wrong. This is why you've got to have communications in a disaster, because otherwise you're flying blind...

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,529 Posts
YES!!!!! Please everyone leave California, especially the LA area and please take the legislators along with my boss and anyone wearing Ed Hardy.
NO! Stay right there. The rest of the country does not want you. We've seen what happens to an otherwise nice city when a bunch of californians move into it. They try to turn it into little California.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I saw that show the other day on TV. It's still on my DVR, in fact, as I want the wife to watch it.

For the first entire hour, I kept yelling at the screen: "Get out of that house, you dumb bastard!" :D:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts