Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience with the Steiner Predator series binoculars?

I read the info and understand that it is supposed to help one see wildlife through foliage, etc by enhancing browns and reds. Does this limit your vision too much to use them for general purpose? I want an all purpose binocular for survival, surveillence and hunting situations. Specifically, would these binoculars inhibit my ability to see humans in a wooded/foliaged environment?

I will be using these in many environments, but most often in wooded areas in New England and in all seasons so some anything from heavy foliage to all the leaves gone. These are to be a replacement for my current cheap pair.

I am specifically considering this pair:
http://www.opticsplanet.net/steiner-binoculars-8x30-predator.html

My other consideration are these:
http://www.opticsplanet.net/steiner-10x50-police-binoculars.html

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a pair of the 10x50's and they are great to look through. Great field of view and very sharp. My dad bought them 20 years ago and it looks like they still sell the same exact model. I'm not familiar with the other pair that you are looking at. The only complaint I have is that they are very heavy to carry around. If I'm hunting or looking for something I bring the Steiners, if I'm backpacking for a few days and weight is an issue I bring something smaller and lighter.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Yeah,for general use in the field,their 8x30s might be a better choice.Even those 7x50 models are really chunky.
I've watching them on EBay for a while.Prices are all over the place.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah the police model seemd like they will be a little big and heavy. An extra 4-8oz on every item really adds up in a pack.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I was trying to find a post on here that specifically dealt with the subject of binoculars- and what people are carrying with them etc.
this is the closest thread I could find - so somebody re-direct me if there is a binocular specific thread. - and sorry to Hjack this thread but I HAVE sent the OP some info via PM

I originally got some cheap " bushmaster" binoculars and they were ok - small ( a bit bigger than a pack of cigs ) but recently got some Nikon 8x40's
I think they are the Extreem EX ones -waterproof , they give a nice clear image , I kinda wish I had the $ for a 10x50 - but I found it hard to keep a stable image on it - I dont have the steadiest hands in the world.

what is everyone else using?

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
In the majority of cases,you will find 7x-8x magnification to be plenty. I even use 6x on some binos. Particularly in deep woods,you don't really want higher magnification. It takes longer to find the object your trying to see,the image appears more unstable,and the unit itself is heavier. Go light.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Thanks for that -not really had much opportunity to do feild testing on these units - but happy with the quality so far

do many people carry a small set in their BOB?

·
Never compromise.
5,674 Posts
Thanks for that -not really had much opportunity to do feild testing on these units - but happy with the quality so far

I keep a small pair of 10x32 in my rolling gear, and a larger 10x50 pair in my ruck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think they are just amazing, Imagine your self in a place black and drizzling. You hear the sound of several shots fired below you. You hear instructions barked out over the police band radio. You mix up to get into position and attain your binoculars.You pray they not fogged up. You consider they are Steiner binoculars and the concern is gone.

·
"This is my Boomstick!"
1,774 Posts
I have owned a pair of Steiner 8X30 Predator binos that I have hunted with for the last five years. However I have only used them in November in MN which by that time all of the green of the forest has died besides the pine.

I love them and use them whenever I am on an outdoors adventure. The colors are vibrant when I have used them in the Spring, Summer, and Fall months. I do not keep them in my BOB but rather with it, sitting right on top of it in the closet by the back door.

Steiner, Swarovski, and Leopold and you can not go wrong.

My favorite feature is that you do not have to re-focus as the stay in focus from 20yrds to infinity :thumb:

·
Registered
2,325 Posts

I have made sure that every emergency pack I've made for family members has a pair of binoculars in it. Small, compact, lightweight, and rather inexpensive, but they enhance the vision quite well, and that's what matters. I thinks its almost a necessity, IMHO.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I use these Steiner Firebird II binocs that I've had for over 13 years. They are super clear and have decent field of view. I use them in Maine during the fall and even at the range. They are fairly compact which makes them easy to carry most places. I also like the military Steiners, which I could have just picked up for $100 at a local gun show but missed out. I have been meaning to get a cheap monocular to keep in my chest rigs for just having something small to catch a glimpse of things if need be.

The price in this link seems a bit high but I did get mine a while ago.
http://www.finest1.com/steiner/f184brd.html

·
Banned
6,705 Posts
I currently have 4 pair of Steiners

A 722 Model Military 10X50s, weighty, but great optics
8X30 Predators for hunting
8X26 small binos for hunting also
8X30 Scout w/compass, currently sent to Steiner for repair (Sent last August) They apparently have lost them, but have pledged a replacement pair with compass.

They are all very clear optics.

However, They claim the Nikon Monarch have are a more clear binocular. Cheaper too!

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
I used these:

Steiner Army 10x50 (Army Issue in Afganistan).:thumb:

I own:
Steiner Police 10x50 (like Army issue, but black and cheaper).
Steiner Predator Pro 10x26 (Pocket sized).

As I understand it all glass are made in only three places; China, Japan, Germany. None made in the USA. That being the case I stick with USGI issue German made:D:

Someday I will get a Steiner Predator Pro 10x40 (Mid-sized).

I dream of, but will not get the new Steiner Military LRF 10x50 (built-in range finder to 1,600 yards) at $2,860.00:eek:

http://www.opticsplanet.net/steiner-10x50-military-binoculars-laser-rangefinder.html

·
Registered
250 Posts
A brand that flies under the radar of most that is really good is Swift. I have the 8.5 x 44 models and they are really nice. $400 usually. I have found that I tend to leave binos behind any larger than that. I have a pair of 10x50 Nikons, but I only use them in the truck or at home, not for hunting. A small quality pair of 8x32's go a long way, I get a lot of use out of my Bushnells in that size.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have the 10x50 police you posted a link to. I use them for work mostly but I work nights and they are great. Very crisp and clear glass. Gather light very well. I have used them only at work so far which they have been great for but the will be with me when I go camping/backpacking as well.

·
Retired Army
6,274 Posts
I have a pair of Steiner 10X50 military. Great glass in low light, but big and heavy. End up not using them much. I keep 8X30 Swarovskis in the truck, and 8X30 version of the Steiner military in a canteen pouch on my chest rig. For me the med size of an 8X30 is just about right. What ever you get, lay out some $$. Your eyes will thank you.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have a pair of Steiner 10X50 military. Great glass in low light, but big and heavy. End up not using them much. I keep 8X30 Swarovskis in the truck, and 8X30 version of the Steiner military in a canteen pouch on my chest rig. For me the med size of an 8X30 is just about right. What ever you get, lay out some $$. Your eyes will thank you.
The big thing I like about mine is you can focus each eye independently so I don't have to wear my glasses when I am using them.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts