Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Adapt Improvise Overcome
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for jerry cans for water, however, I absolutely do not like eating or drinking out of plastic if and when I can help it. So I am looking for steel jerry cans to put drinking water in. Now, I have seen many but some say they are 'specially coated to prevent corrosion' (I presume that means on the inside?).
I sent a question to a seller but there might be a conflict of interests there so I thought it best to ask people who might well know something about that!

So, is it safe to use (new / unused) steel jerry cans to put your drinking water in?

What are your thoughts please?

Thank you!

·
AKA The Dragon
2,818 Posts
Here, new jerry metal cans are internally coated to prevent corrosion or other reactions between fuel chemicals and the metal.
The coating maybe toxic or at the very least taint the water.
know what you mean about the plastic water containers and some types are not UV stabalised.
Have seen smaller metal water bottles, some are internally coated with different anti corrosive inhibitor for water, depending on the metal type.
Have heard some survivalists making their own large metal water jerry cans from stainless steel, very expensive though.
To be on the safe side unless you have confirmed information, I wouldn't use fuel jerry cans for drinking water.

Reactions: NAUTHIZ

·
Adapt Improvise Overcome
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, that's what I was thinking.
I was unsure because the seller I asked has visibly plastic blue water cans and visible metal fuel cans.
However, this seller seems to indicate that it might be possible?
Apparently metal drinking water jerry cans are designated GJC20W by the UN? (I think..)
http://www.britishpacific.com/BPSite/landroverparts/NATOjerryCans.html

Of course I am in The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland..

Hmm.

·
Adapt Improvise Overcome
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Because I want to be able to use them for camping also. I think glass would be ok in the house tucked away somewhere safe where they aren't likely to get knocked around or broken but as for the jerry cans - that would be ideal.
I am still not sure about them.. I mean the blue painted metal jerry cans SAYS it should be ok for drinking water.. but the problem is WHO says it? Salesmen or manufacturer. I appreciate the feedback, and I expect you are all correct.

·
*** Forgives, I don't
1,369 Posts
In the 70's when I was Military water was stored in Jerry cans. You can safely drink it. After a while it would have a "stale" taste. I had family members send packets of kool-aide to mix with the water I filled into my canteen. It helped but to answer your question: yes, its safe to store water in them.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Store water in food grade containers only. Never put water in a container designed to be used for fuel. it is not safe. Never put water in any container that has had a chemical in it. Plastic is even worse. Plastic that has had a chemical will never be safe to use for water or food. Just in case you are wondering, I work for a chemical company and have spoken to the head of our labs. he is a PhD from MIT.

·
Displaced Texan
501 Posts
found 8 of those 5 gallon water cooler bottles from sparkletts just sitting outside the door of an empty foreclosed home last week. Took them home & decided I would store them for a while. The majority of our stored water are in the typical 55 gallon blue drums. Treated with super aerobic oxygen.

I would steer clear of using those jerry cans. For camping you're better off investing in the square water containers from walmart. Has anyone noticed the price went from $6.88 up to almost $11??? Or is just the stores here in S. Nevada?

·
Adapt Improvise Overcome
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Displaced Texan
501 Posts
well these are specifically made for water....so yes. They seem like they would be good. If you think they are going to get dinged & dented and banged around....maybe get a plastic one for camping. And use these for storage. I like them- I'd buy them.

·
Banned
647 Posts
I would steer clear of using those jerry cans. For camping you're better off investing in the square water containers from walmart. Has anyone noticed the price went from $6.88 up to almost $11??? Or is just the stores here in S. Nevada?

Yes, they did so here, too. But not before I bought my 12 of them:thumb:
And yes, they are excellant for camping.

BTW, Gander Mountain sells the model with the filter attatchment - $14 IIRC. I have a few of those, too.

·
Registered
816 Posts
you could always use a beer keg :p

There shouldn't be a problem with the metal cans. The military uses the big metal 'water buffaloes' for years without doing anything to them

·
Registered
191 Posts
Good choice,
Plastic bottles will contain chemicals such as POPs (persistent organic pollutants) that can build up in your body over a long time.

If it had corrosion resistant paint
The corrosion resistance is probably only protecting the steel (as it does rust), you were right to consider weather this may affect the water. However if the corrosion resistant paint wont corrode from oil, there is little chance it will from water. However it may contain industrial chemicals such as POPs and may effect you that way.

If it may have contained oil
Wash it out with a detergent if you don't know if its had oil in it. Id suggest doing it a few times too just to make sure. The more water you put in it the more dilute the left over oil will become. What you need to do is dilute it until there’s no chance of there being any oil left.

FYI: They test homeopathic medicines the same way, it often turns out that the person just gets better naturally but they are convinced its the herbs and stuff that did it.

For long life stores:
However there may still be bacteria etc; you should be fine if you carry chlorine tablets and make sure it doesn’t contain anything they could feed off of. Even if there is dead bacteria in the can their bodies will contain poisons, the body is able to filter certain amounts. One of the best ways to insure long life water is by distilling it.
As a side note; remember that water expands when frozen.

·
Adapt Improvise Overcome
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey all,

I would like to update this thread (2008 seems so long ago.. such wasted time since).

The blue jerry cans, marked as 'water' jerry cans have been in service since then. When I used one for camping the water tasted a bit odd, like chemically, I suppose like something plastic.

Since then I have used a couple to store water in - and left water in - for some months at a time, maybe a year at the longest interval.

I found some interesting results from this. Although they absolutely did not leak in that time, when I went to change the water in them recently I discovered that the water had a yellowish to greenish tinge and was noticably discoloured and cloudy - both in the process of pouring it and in it's standing state (I poured it into a clean bucket).

On inspection of the inside of the can with the aide of a torch, I found where there was previously just the light grey colour of whatever it is that is painted to coat the inside the added marks of rust corrosion.

I expect that given a long enough time with water inside the can it would rust from the inside out. This was apparent on all of them, as was the cloudy tinged water. I think the tinge is a result of contamination of both the can lining and the rust together. It did not look like something to drink and I did not taste it.

This is a shame because I hoped they'd stand up to the job. I realise that ideally they would have times of not holding water where they could air out but that is not what I bought them for. And to confirm these are jerry cans designed for water containment, approved by the UN. I do have the specifications sheet somewhere but it is in German and I cannot comprehend it, if anyone wants to take a look and let us know what it says just ask.

Earlier this year I bought a stainless steel flask by KleanKanteen of 800ml size and it has served very nicely as a regular water bottle. Shame it is so small.

I think a stainless steel jerry can, designed for water and brand new (so it hasn't had any fuel or other questionable liquids stored in it previously) is the way to go in future, alongside glass jars such as ' demijohns '. The prices of a single jerry can are prohibitive though at the moment - around £200 each. They would be £165 but we have, in Uk and much (or all?) of Europe this so called VAT *Value Added Tax which is placed on, I think everything we buy.
I think this form of tax will be introduced to the United States before too long - ontop of all the other taxes like sales tax etc.

If anyone has any comments or questions feel free to ask and I will do my best to relay what I have learned.

·
Inglorious Deplorable
21,136 Posts
you could always use a beer keg :p

There shouldn't be a problem with the metal cans. The military uses the big metal 'water buffaloes' for years without doing anything to them
A bit irresponsable. Only put beer in a keg. They are not made for water. Don't even try it. It's wrong.

·
Family Always Comes First
698 Posts
found 8 of those 5 gallon water cooler bottles from sparkletts just sitting outside the door of an empty foreclosed home last week. Took them home & decided I would store them for a while. The majority of our stored water are in the typical 55 gallon blue drums. Treated with super aerobic oxygen.

Texjen, I would not think of using those discarded containers because you have no way to know what was really stored in them. Meth Labs have shown many different containers and you can not say 100% that these containers are safe to use. I would never put my family at risk with them.

Medic73

·
Banned
4,888 Posts
I use the plastic 5 ga military water jerry cans. They are tough as nails and you can throw em around. I get them at my local surplus store for about 20-25 bucks. The water tastes fine.They usually are tan in color

Personally I dont trust those walmart water containers...esp in freezing weather.....they are just not thick enough and Im afraid they will leak/crack

in a pinch you can also use it for gas and not worry about leaks

1 - 19 of 19 Posts