Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, as many of you already know, I'm 14 (15 this October), and I love the outdoors. I'm 5'10, and weigh 180 pounds. I am in weightlifting class at my High School, and I ride my bike a few times a week. Every day, I do about 50 reps on each arm of 20lb dunbells, and I use several other machines. At home, I ride my bike about a mile or two per day, and I plan on getting a new mountain bike and a set of dunbells soon for home.
Now that I weigh 180 pounds (no I'm not FAT), I don't plan on losing any of it, but I plan on toning almost all of my fat into muscle. My goals are to be able to do 30 reps on each arm of 35lb dunbells, and ride 3 miles everyday on my bike, by the end of this school year. I need to become very fit, since most of the things I enjoy are in the outdoors. I also eat a balanced diet, and a LOT of meat (beef, chicken, fish and turkey usually.) to gain protein. I also stay well hydrated, and drink an average of 2qts of water every day.
If anybody has any advice or encourgement, please post! :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Stealth Hawk
The first question that you have to ask yourself is why you are training. Are you training for looks (Bodybuilding) or performance (Various sports)? Are you training for better performance in the outdoors? I use a gym where I live but I also train outdoors a lot. I trail run, do pullups on branches of trees, throw rocks (20-30 lb variety), carry sandbags, drag tires while I run etc. I do all of these because I have found that very few things that I do outside are uniform. If I lift weights in the gym, then the bars are evenlly weighted on both sides, with knurling that shows me where I should place my hands. I rarely find this type of uniformity when I am in the wilderness. If I decide to cross a stream by hopping on rocks they aren't all the same size, distance apart and with flat surfaces so if I want to train for the outdoors I need to train with unstable weights on weird surfaces.
Check out Crossfit.com, rosstraining.com and goggle bodyweight training. Get outside of the fitness box
Mtn Man

1 - 2 of 2 Posts