Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a wood burning stove(Harman TL-300, which was a great purchase btw!!!) in the house that I use throughout the winter to keep our heating bills down. It has a cooking grill attachment and I'm sure I can boil water on top for cooking as well. This should be fine for winter cooking, but what about the spring/summer/fall when it's warm outside and possibly HOT inside without A/C?

My plan was/is to rotate 3(+1 in use in the BBQ grill) x 20lb propane tanks and use them with the bbq grill for SHTF cooking in the warmer 9 months of the year. I haven't done the math, but my 3+ propane tanks would probably not last through the first year with heavy use. In addition, it's very dangerous to use bbq grills indoors, so I should use it outside--which could become a beacon to attract hungry sheeple in the area. This could create a situation that I would rather not have to deal with if I can avoid it. I thought that I could risk using it inside, but I suspect that I wouldn't have A/C in a SHTF situation and that grill puts out some serious heat and it could make the indoors unbearably hot, especially in the middle of the summer.

Thought about doubling my propane canister count, but then read up on Kerosene stoves on these boards and from Google searches. Apparently they're widely used in 3rd world countries throughout Asia for daily cooking. Battle tested and proven by people who rely on them to feed their families conveniently and inexpensively. I'm sure that it will be much safer to use a kerosene stove indoors rather than my propane grill.

So I bought a Butterfly double burner stove from St Paul Mercantile http://www.stpaulmercantile.com/index.php. The site claims that the small 1.8 qt bottle(less than half of a gallon) will run one burner for 12 hour. That should give me well over 120 hours of use from one 5 gallon can of kerosene! Even if I use it for an hour each day, that's over 120 days of cooking energy in one 5 gallon can of kerosene! And most importantly, I can now cook with stealth inside my home year round if needed!

Exchanged some emails with John from St Paul Mercantile and he seems like a good guy. I think he's the owner/secretary/manager/etc---a real one-man show. He went out of his way to answer my questions and I highly recommend you check it out if you're interested in kerosene stoves or lanterns. They sell water filters as well.

I just filled up 3 x 5 gallon cans of kerosene, which supposedly has a very long shelf life--much longer than gasoline or diesel. Some say it will last forever, but that's hard to believe. Will probably re-fill them once every year or two as I use a kerosene heater from time to time in the garage. Cost me well under $4 per gallon at my local gas station. Heck, I might even bump my storage to 5 cans.

What's your plan for Stealthy Summer cooking?

Duke

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Two Words... Solar Oven. Works like a charm and I can make one with just about any scraps.
Thought about that too, but it takes much longer to heat water, you're dependent on the sun shining and you would need to keep it secure outdoors. It does look easy to build with aluminum foil and a box, both of which should be readily available to most of us. I guess you could also put it on the roof to keep more secure, but I'll bet people could see that reflection from miles away!

Solar cooking does have its bonuses and I'll probably consider that as one of my sources for heating water/food as well.

Duke

·
Guns and Yoga
1,859 Posts
I don't have a problem with securing it or reflectivity, but you could also try cooking in the ground with a dutch oven. Uses a lot less fuel and can me pretty stealth.

·
My Temperature is Right
5,578 Posts
I don't have a problem with securing it or reflectivity, but you could also try cooking in the ground with a dutch oven. Uses a lot less fuel and can me pretty stealth.
You're missing the stealth aspect. Anywood fire will put out smoke and food odors. If you shut the windows in the house the kerosene range puts out no more heat than your normal stove, the house will contain any cooking odors.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I am not to worried about stealth so I have a spare woodstove I can put outside and cook with in the summer...dont have to worry about propane or kerosene...lots of trees around
Also u can burn wood in a bar b que if its cast

·
Guns and Yoga
1,859 Posts
You're missing the stealth aspect. Anywood fire will put out smoke and food odors. If you shut the windows in the house the kerosene range puts out no more heat than your normal stove, the house will contain any cooking odors.
There's no smoke. You par cook the food in the dutch oven, then bury the DO in the ground and cover. The insulating properties of the ground (or straw, etc.) finish cooking the food. Heat it with Kero or whatever inside, then bring it outdoors, using a LOT less fuel.

·
Banned
212 Posts
Thought about that too, but it takes much longer to heat water, you're dependent on the sun shining and you would need to keep it secure outdoors.
Well yes and no. A well built solar oven would be made out of brick and tile for maximum heating potential. The reflectors dont need to be too large to get the "three suns" action you want. You make it large enough inside to fit a cast iron dutch oven. You don't use it for heating water, just for slow cooking chickens and such. Treat it like a crock pot you fill at noon for yummy food after work if it's not raining or cloudy.

A solar oven is simply one arrow in the quiver, not the whole of the quiver.

·
My Temperature is Right
5,578 Posts

So I bought a Butterfly double burner stove from St Paul Mercantile http://www.stpaulmercantile.com/index.php. The site claims that the small 1.8 qt bottle(less than half of a gallon) will run one burner for 12 hour. That should give me well over 120 hours of use from one 5 gallon can of kerosene! Even if I use it for an hour each day, that's over 120 days of cooking energy in one 5 gallon can of kerosene! And most importantly, I can now cook with stealth inside my home year round if needed!

Exchanged some emails with John from St Paul Mercantile and he seems like a good guy. I think he's the owner/secretary/manager/etc---a real one-man show. He went out of his way to answer my questions and I highly recommend you check it out if you're interested in kerosene stoves or lanterns. They sell water filters as well.

I just filled up 3 x 5 gallon cans of kerosene, which supposedly has a very long shelf life--much longer than gasoline or diesel. Some say it will last forever, but that's hard to believe. Will probably re-fill them once every year or two as I use a kerosene heater from time to time in the garage. Cost me well under $4 per gallon at my local gas station. Heck, I might even bump my storage to 5 cans.

Duke
Duke,

Would be wise to seek out a plastic conversion tank for the butterfly range. Breaking that glass container could really ruin your day.

The guy that's making perfection stoves now has changed to plastic, though glass is available if you want it.

·
Do you smell that?
4,591 Posts
Duke, I have the three burner from Stpaul. I really like the thing. I also bought a spare fule bottle and 2 additional sets of wicks and he threw in 2 more for free. The little stove is just great, I have used it many timesa and plan on using it for canning later this year.

I bought 50 gals of kerosene for $160, and Im going to get one more. Next month Im ordering a couple of the kero lanterns from him, the pressurized version. I have a number of wick type lamps that can burn the same fuel, I just one of the pressure lantern for times when I need more light.

Have you tried to use it yet?

Reactions: DukeOfDeath

·
Do you smell that?
4,591 Posts
Duke,

Would be wise to seek out a plastic conversion tank for the butterfly range. Breaking that glass container could really ruin your day.

The guy that's making perfection stoves now has changed to plastic, though glass is available if you want it.
Cranky I thought the samething so I ordered a replacement with mine. But let me tell you that tank is made from seriously heavy glass. You would have to drop it something like concrete to break it, and I bet you would have to throw it.

Reactions: cranky1950

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Duke,

Thanks for the tip! It's made of pretty thick glass, but it's still breakable and breaking it would indeed ruin my day. I also bought a spare just in case. ;)

Duke

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Duke, I have the three burner from Stpaul. I really like the thing. I also bought a spare fule bottle and 2 additional sets of wicks and he threw in 2 more for free. The little stove is just great, I have used it many timesa and plan on using it for canning later this year.

I bought 50 gals of kerosene for $160, and Im going to get one more. Next month Im ordering a couple of the kero lanterns from him, the pressurized version. I have a number of wick type lamps that can burn the same fuel, I just one of the pressure lantern for times when I need more light.

Have you tried to use it yet?

Not yet--it just came in today. Will probably test it out this weekend. Do you store your kerosene in a tank or in cans?

Duke

·
Do you smell that?
4,591 Posts
Not yet--it just came in today. Will probably test it out this weekend. Do you store your kerosene in a tank or in cans?

Duke
In drums. I keep 5 gal in a can for daily use. And I made a mistake, I got 55 gals for $160, and Im getting another one.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,576 Posts
Similar to yours, actually. I have an Alpaca kerosene cooker for now, but plan to upgrade to the Butterflies and their camp oven. I also have a propane cooktop, a couple small butane hot plates that I use for Asian dishes cooked at the table, several charcoal grills, smokers, and a small charcoal hibachi that I absolutely love. I also made a really nice solar oven, but it didn't survive the move and I need to make a new one. No big deal. I just haven't gotten motivated to do it yet.

As you can tell, I love to cook, so I have a collection of cooking methods. But I tend to focus more on kerosene than propane. For me, the propane cooktop was simply a way to broil a steak or something without smoking up the house or having to fire up a charcoal grill. I love to cook over charcoal though and have several hundred pounds of it put away. I could cook with wood as a sustainable alternative if I had to.

·
Free Mason
1,100 Posts
I have three of the butterfly type kerosene stoves. Mine are older models purchased at flea Markets. All are made in the 50's. Two are counter top two burner units similar to yours. The fuel jug is on the right side rather than in the middle. The third unit has three burners and long legs so it sits on the floor. The three burner has a metal tank on the back. I have ordered replacement wicks from St. Paul Mercantile. He has them made special. The original wicks are asbestos the new wicks are fiberglass. In a pinch you can use cotton as two of my units had standard lamp wicks. As with any wick appliance I will use clear kerosene. I have found that red kerosene tends to plug up the wick. Next weeks prep will be 200 gallons of kerosene.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
A solar oven is simply one arrow in the quiver, not the whole of the quiver.
Good point. Seems like it's best to have multiple means of cooking. There may be times where you need stealth and others when you don't. Keep your options open and don't rely too heavily on one method or another.

Duke

·
Registered
51 Posts
imho the smell of food being cooked can carry a long ways and if your dealing with the starving masses they may be motivated to track the food down

1 - 20 of 41 Posts