Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where do you draw the line for someone stealing from your garden, chicken pen, heard of sheep, etc., what would you do about it? In a scenario where your garden/animals are a primary source of fruits and veggies or meat, and you find someone/people helping them selves to your crop as needed, what would you do?

·
Registered
647 Posts
You should put a stop to it , even if it were someone who is in need. If their were enough excess food in the garden I might offer to let them work in the garden for some of the vegetables. If they didnt want to do that then too bad they dont eat.

Reminds me of a true story my Dad used to tell. He worked for a man in West Texas on a farm. The owner Andy , grew a lot of watermelons. One evening after changing the water in the irrigation ditches, he and my Dad were headed back home. Driving down the road Andy notices out the window some watermelon rinds scattered along the side of the field, so he stops to check it out.

Sure enough there were the footprints of several kids who had gone into his field and were stealing and eating his watermelons. Andy and my Dad returned to the vehicle and headed back to the barn. When they got there Andy had my Dad make up a sign , and then they returned to the spot whre the kids had been going into the field. They planted the sign just off the road so everyone would be sure to see it. The sign said : Their is one watermelon in this patch that has been poisioned!

The next morning They returned to see if the sign had worked. My Dad said when they drove up to the sign, their was a second sign that had been placed right next to Andy"s sign. The second sign said, " No Thier are TWO watermelons in this patch that have been poisioned. LOL. Andy , afraid to sell them for human consumption had to feed them to the hogs.

·
V
21,713 Posts
Funny because the laws states side are alot different to ours so reactions maybe different to a point, most know not to steal from me ( i know some of the local toerags parents from a colourful childhood) so I have no real worry pre event, BUT if there was an event that lead to me having to rely on my garden for food, then the line is anyone steals from me gets a beating and if I'm not able to subject that beating I'm bound to know someone who can.

If its a toss up between them eating or me and my family, well I'm not gonna let my kids go without.

·
Registered
171 Posts
well like others have stated they can work for it but not just take it thats just wrong. if the problem persists good old trip wire and traps work. First i would set some trip wires that would let me know they were there like the glow stick trap or a shotgun shell one. then i would place the traps used for hunting, maybe some ground snares. catch them in the act and show them who is living there. Use intimidation to scare them off i am not sure if i would shoot someone over my garden but as others have stated its your families life in the garden and i am sure most of us would do anything to protect our families and their interests.

i do hope we were talking post Shtf

·
Registered
377 Posts
My survival group has an apple orchard of their own at the edge of the valley. Every now and then we catch some nieghbor kid stealing apples. If it's just the nieghborhood kids out on a bike ride, we pretty much figure it's a better snack then some get at home. Once we did have some older kids park their cars in the orchard drive for a drinking party and that we called the cops on. We do things on a case by case basis. We like to work with the nieghborhood, but if the nieghbors were destructive then we'd do more about it. People not from the nieghborhood would be immediately prosecuted.

We live far enough back into a private valley that our personal stock, gardens, or orchards aren't seen by the public and so we don't have that problem. It would depend on who it was and what they took if a person did steal from my personal food. I don't mind helping but I do grow my food for my family or for profit. If I was to give too much away it would cut into both.

BLT

·
Scarred for life...
3,295 Posts
Do you need someone to work your garden for you?

Part of the point of a garden is growing your own food with your own hands so paying someone (in money or in food) defeats the purpose somewhat doesn't it?

Stop theft in tits tracks.

A car with the tires flattened or the view of the business end of a shotgun does wonders.... not that I would do that, Im jus sayin'....

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
shoot them like you would any animal. if you had a fox in your hen house what would you do? theives should be hanged, in this case shot. a backside full of rock salt will make them rethink going to your place again :thumb:

·
I help enlighten folks
16,624 Posts
shoot them like you would any animal.
make sure to shoot the hungry toddlers hiding in the bushes too.
Wouldn't want them to survive and pull a Vito Corleone on you years later.

·
Banned
1,711 Posts
shoot them like you would any animal. if you had a fox in your hen house what would you do? theives should be hanged, in this case shot. a backside full of rock salt will make them rethink going to your place again :thumb:
Wrong, a human life is worth more than any material possession. Don't know about you, but my life is worth more than a tomato. A fox isn't a human being, big difference. Not sure how I would deal with this, personally, but you can't blame a starving person for trying to get food. Thieves should not be hanged, the punishment far outweighs the crime.

·
I help enlighten folks
16,624 Posts
The only thing you're good for is one line comments, mindless diatribe's and putting words into people's mouth's.

You fail at life.
just because I would think before I shot someone in a garden doesn't make me mindless. Warning shots are pretty effective. I'm just not as bloodthirsty nor plan to be starving to death when my garden is going. If that differs from your plans, that's just life I guess. I see you wrote TWO sentences, wow, how verbose you are. You may now resume shooting toddlers.

·
Apathetic Protagonist
70 Posts
Maybe FX's post was a little antagonistic, but it raises a valid point nonetheless. There will be consequences for blasting people away every time they sneak into your garden. Maybe the law will come down on you - or worse, the thieves' friends will come looking for vengeance. Thieves should be swiftly dealt with, especially in a SHTF scenario, but butchering them "like any animal" is heartless and borderline sociopathic. Maybe that's just pre-SHTF sentimentality talking. But there's no point in surviving if one can't preserve his humanity.

·
Destroyer of Marxism.
875 Posts
Call the cops, take pictures and drag them to court.

In a world were police are no longer available, should that ever happen, 12ga rubber ball or buck shot works wonders. There's lots of "less lethal" options. I've procured the rubber shotgun rounds for neighbor's dogs. Dogs shot w/ it seldom come back. If lessons aren't learned, I use the hard stuff. They NEVER return then. The lives of humans other than my loved ones will loose a lot of value if our land becomes our sole source of sustenance, and there is no law enforcement to discourage thieves.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
the line will already have been drawn when it reaches that point. having said that, yes if you can spare some and they are willing to either trade or work it off go for it. who knows you may have just found an ally. if not you do what needs to be done to insure the survival of you and yours. you can say you'll draw the line with everyone/anyone, however, unless you've been down range it's just wanna be talk.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
My thirty acres is surrounded by a subdivision. I grow a garden far away from a property line, but if SHTF, my house is also vulnerable. I have thought in this situation, the family would take shifts pulling guard duty. I would also not be opposed to allowing neighbors that adjoin my property, a small plot for gardening in trade for produce or labor.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts