Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
One of the Frozen Chosen
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Businesses in a small, nearby town have received notice from the Elec. Co that they may need to shut down...due to lack of natural gas for the electric plant and/or for heating. The largest business in town used gas for their product and had to close down this year (Agrim in Soldotna/Kenai). That put a lot of people in a small area out of work...but that may have been the canary in the coal mine.
Due to contract obligations, the gas has to be available ... for overseas customers. This means the gas lines may not be able to retain pressure for local customers, hence the advance notice of possibilities to businesses. What does that mean for local consumers...what about folks using natural gas for heat...will there be a check made of every location to be sure pilot lights are relit when/if the gas get pressurized again (possible future consideration)....
This is not in the news (no surprise there); however my brother worked at Agrim many years and knew what was coming down the road. This info today about advance notice is another indication of why we need to be allowed to get to the resources up here...plenty of gas, just need to access it. Until then, I continue stocking up for alternate sources of heat. It was below zero last night, and looks to be a cold winter.....

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,888 Posts
Here's a chart showing the pricing of Natural Gas over the last 5 years:

http://www.finviz.com/futures_charts.ashx?t=NG&p=w1

The price of natural gas is very low, and is the lowest its been over the last two years.

Shortage? If there were, the price would be going in the other direction. No shortage, no conspiracy.

Reactions: 9111315

·
To the surface!
8,012 Posts
The US has the largest supply on natural gas in the world. If we could get the big semi rigs and autos to burn LNG, oil supplies would last for another 100 years.
They can burn it, but the trailer would have to be all CNG for them to have enough range. That's the problem - carrying enough of it around in a small enough container. Liquid fuels have more BTUs for the same volume.

·
Not what I appear to be
2,174 Posts
Seems like the world didn't end three years ago, WHEN THIS THREAD WAS ORIGINALLY POSTED !

Any more news about Y2K ?

Come on folks, there is better stuff out there than this.

·
Banned
4,069 Posts
With the amount of NG we consume in our industry and the structuring of our contracts, we would be one of the first to receive notice of any impending shortages in order to give us the opportunity to reserve supply (at a significantly higher price.)

There's been no indication of this at any of our facilities which range from Washington, to NY, GA, Ut, Tx, In and others.

Not saying it's not possible, but most large industrial consumers would be cut of before residential customers for a couple of reasons. The first being profit. They make more money for the same volume of gas from residential customers. The second is public relations. Cutting off heating to people so that industries can continue operating doesn't generate a lot of good will.

For example. When the tornados took out much of the surrounding power grid, my company was the last to get power back even though we consume more than the nearby town of 75K people.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
16,091 Posts
The original post was from Alaska, I understand the natural gas supply in the rest of the US is one of the bright spots for north America.

·
Inglorious Deplorable
21,136 Posts
They can burn it, but the trailer would have to be all CNG for them to have enough range. That's the problem - carrying enough of it around in a small enough container. Liquid fuels have more BTUs for the same volume.
Would still have less weight and more range than an electric car.

·
Registered
276 Posts
No shortage at all. We are poking holes in the ground all over Texas. And there are many, many wells that have been capped just waiting on the price to go up so the energy companies can actually make money.

I will be on the wellsite in the morning...just to make sure :)

·
A Hoosier not a Hillbilly
3,016 Posts
I just wish we could keep all of our natural gas instead of selling it to the highest bidder. Overseas, (China). We're going to need all the gas we can get in the future. (Oil replacement). But no, thanks to the free market we live in the highest bidder gets it, no matter who they are. Can we say"NATIONAL SECURITY"?

·
To the surface!
8,012 Posts
Would still have less weight and more range than an electric car.
But less cargo carrying capacity. For trucks it is less a matter of how much they weigh than how much they can carry volume or weight wise. A semi truck running on natural gas would have significantly less cargo capacity to get the same range, or they would have to stop to refuel much more frequently.

This is what is holding up hydrogen in cars too - the amount of fuel you can get into a given space. Most people don't want to give up their trunk space even though they probably don't use it. Then there is the infrastructure problem - but that is an issue for any different technology.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts