Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK well I found this out by accident. But BOY IS IT NICE!!!!

I live in FL and it gets hot and humid. This produces the coldest item to help keep cool (at least for a little while). It feels at least 30 degrees cooler than the environment.

I was messing with a denatured alcohol stove a while ago and I spilled some. WHAM-O, instant cold. It uses evaporation (a method used for thousands of years). The denatured alcohol evaporates on the inside of the can, draws the heat away and makes the outside COLD. It lasts about 15 minutes or so. The rusty tin can seemed better because the denatured alcohol seemed to "grab" the small crevices and such; extending the effect and duration. If using a newer can, make sure to burn it a little to get rid of the plastic liner inside some cans. That can reduce conductivity. Completely re-usable.

Method:
1) Pour about a teaspoon of denatured alcohol inside the tin can and spread it around.
2) Let it evaporate and put the tin can on your skin.
3) Try it yourself! If anything just coat the tin can bottom, hold it in your hand, and blow into it.

Materials:
Tin can
Denatured Alcohol
Flask for carrying Denatured Alcohol

These are common camping items. Tin can from food and alcohol stove. Even when the AC goes out here in FL this can work well.

Just don't smoke I guess LOL And watch out for the fumes. Ohh BTW Rubbing alcohol did not work as well. I think the water content was too high.

·
war comin, choose a side
401 Posts
Very cool. I am in georgia so i will definitely be trying that out. :thumb: :thumb:

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is an article on other ways to cool things. Will not evaporate as fast as the alcohol but if you have enough water it definitely will help.

http://www.fao.org/climatechange/17850-0c63507f250b5a65147b7364492c4144d.pdf
Very cool file. Thanks for sharing it! This is exactly one of the reasons I still take my old Pelco aluminum canteen with me. Soak the canvass case and let the evaporation cool the water inside. Can't do that with nalganene or a water bladder.

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't be sniffing the fumes.
Nurses used alcohol to cool down kids, but read this:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/07/health/07real.html

I wouldn't put it on the skin directly. That is what the can is for. If put directly on the skin denatured alcohol can be absorbed and dehydrate the skin really fast. As far as the fumes, they aren't that bad since the opening of the can faces away from the skin. But yea, don't go around breathing it.

It works better when you burn the inside of the can a bit. That removes any plastic lining inside.

Just don't sniff that either if you are concerned about BPA or anything. :thumb:

·
Kibitzer
6,631 Posts
Soak the canvass case and let the evaporation cool the water inside. Can't do that with nalganene or a water bladder.
Depends if you have the old canvas bladders.
Used to see canvas water bladders hanging on front of cars to keep cool.
I've got a small British canvas water bladder that does same thing when wet.

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Depends if you have the old canvas bladders.
Used to see canvas water bladders hanging on front of cars to keep cool.
I've got a small British canvas water bladder that does same thing when wet.
This is the one I have. I love it also because if I wanted to boil water in it, the curved shape of the canteen has a large area is really effective at transferring heat.

·
Numquam Succumbe
4,173 Posts
Dood, If you could rig up some kind of flexible and hollow metal bracelets, necklace, and thigh-ties, I bet that would work amazingly well as an emergency cooling system for heat casualties! :thumb:

Will it damage the skin if you hold the can against the skin for too long?

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dood, If you could rig up some kind of flexible and hollow metal bracelets, necklace, and thigh-ties, I bet that would work amazingly well as an emergency cooling system for heat casualties! :thumb:

Will it damage the skin if you hold the can against the skin for too long?
I thought about that actually. The problem was making something with enough ventilation room to get the evaporation going. In order to counter that, I would have had to add a fan or something, but then what would be the use. Now the flexible metal outerwear is a great idea.

I tried with aluminum foil and that worked well but made a mess. Then I figured it was not a real commercial idea since it is so targeted and there are already other methods of cooling out there for the general hiking crowd. Not to mention the use of a highly flammable liquid + general public = lawsuit LOL So I decided to post it up here for everyone to try at own risk.

But it will not hurt skin at all. It isn't so cold where it will cause any damage to skin. Just amazingly cool enough to give you an "AAaaaaaaaaahhhhhh" moment in the heat :) The nice thing is that it remains cool for a surprising amount of time. Like 10-15 minutes or so.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Check out the African cooling pots. Big clay pot filled with wet sand. Small pot in the middle. Water in sand evaporates and cools center pot. Also put a coulple couple cotton boot socks over your water bottle, wet them, and hang them on your pack. They will evaporate and cool your bottles.

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
I am going to try a towel or sheet and soak it in water and lay it on top of me to sleep , I think it will work. Maybe even get a tarp and lay it down first and then the towel of sheet can over it to keep cool and dry.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts