Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
AAAH GET TO ZE CHOPPA!
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone here have experience working within a State Defense Force? Or, does anyone have any alternative suggestions to acquiring similar training?

I am curious about them because they offer training in communications, first aid, and emergency management, which would definitely come in handy. While they follow some military conventions and work side-by-side with the National Guard, they don't seem to be combat-oriented (I consider that a plus). It's also all volunteer, so you aren't signing yourself over to the government for mandatory service or anything. It is essentially a volunteer, organized miltia that works with the National Guard on a local level.

This is Virginia's SDF:
http://www.vdf.virginia.gov/

So yea- thoughts or suggestions? Any experience to share? Or, would I be better off just taking some FEMA courses instead?

·
Deo VIndice
6,108 Posts
I talked to a local guy around here about them. They went from 6 to 3 groups due to lack of participation.
Their main tasks here were helping with parking, crowd control at fairs and the like. They had no weapons, are not allowed to carry them and buy all their own bdus, boots, patches, etc.
I couldn't see any advantage in joining, since they rely on ex-military and offer no real medical or other real training, but maybe twice a year.
Unfortunately, it came across as a bunch of middle aged former military getting together just for the sake of wearin cammo and rank again.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Some State Guards are knee deep in FEMA and recieve FEMA funding & training. Others are kick ass like VA State Guard WAS in the day. NC used to have a big un. NC now has a Quasi State Guard that works with FEMA. SC & Georgia have them. SC has vehicles and people that know what's up. NAU, NWO, etc. They're the most Patriotic I know of except for my VA SG buddies who are now 'inactive' i should say.

·
Registered
801 Posts
If you only have one eye use it to read the writing on the wall; government is the answer to nothing...

You want fast training go to the library or a bookstore.

The American Red Cross offers all kinds of first aid training from basic to CPR and the "fee" is usually nominal, you get to keep the books.

·
AAAH GET TO ZE CHOPPA!
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea after looking at their training requirements, I saw a lot of FEMA online courses. Those things are mind-numbing...

I liked the idea that they aren't under direct control of the federal government... but a quick executive order or bill can change that in a jiffy.

Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
5 Posts
You guys should check out the Texas state defense force! They look like they got their **** together and it looks like they have their own special response team!

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
I was active in ours for years in the early to late 90's. I did some boating training, firearms training and we ran OPFOR sometimes. Disaster relief was the main charge we had. Under the direct command of the governor. We did some Search and Rescue for avalanche response but most guys didn't show.

We gave a Navy SEAL team a very rough time near Valdez once on a training excercise. We got our butts chewed for going for violating oil terminal and pipeline security. That's a very soft target.

There are 4 Companies here. Kenai Peninsula had the best one for years. Insertion team, FEMA training, ETT, OUPV-6 training and other stuff.

Really though, I grew tired of their garbage. It was 6 months before I even got my dog tags and you can't deploy on a truck, helo or plane without them. Command was a mess and we stood around doing nothing most weekends.

They issued a bunch of Garand's which is a fine weapon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts