Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Rookie
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out to Lowes today with the hope of putting together a "start up" vegetable garden.

I've got 6 different vegetables spinach, carrots, Jalapeno peppers, broccoli, string beans, and tomatoes.

I have no experience with planting but very anxious to learn. I picked up a Burpee Self Watering seed starter, does anyone have any experience with this kit? It says to wait 4 weeks until the seed sprout and then transfer them into individual containers. Any recommendations on which type of containers I should use? How exactly do SWC's work and what is the best way to build one?

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
For tomatoes you'll want something at least 12" deep for roots. A five gallon bucket works well if you drill small holes in the bottom for drainage.

Carrots don't like to be transplanted, you'd do well to put them in some square 10 to 12 inch deep pots, the kind that people use on their decks and patios. They're super tiny when they first sprout, as is their seed. If you plant seed in one pot, then follow with additional sowing in a second pot you'll have more than one harvest of carrots and won't have to use them all up or give them away. Sow them in rows that are 2 or 3 inches apart and thin seedlings in rows to 2" apart. That's a lot of carrots in a square foot pot!

If beans are pole beans then you'll need a trellis for the vines to grow on. If they're bush you won't. I'd try a five gallon bucket with pretty much everything you're growing except the spinach and carrots, or you're going to need a planting bed to put it all in. I've seen spinach growing in recycled 2 litre soda bottles and hung on a railing. This will require that you keep an eye on the water and make sure your spinach doesn't dry out too much, but whatever works.

If you go this route then you really wouldn't need to transplant much, it's better to sow right in the pot if you're going to and spend your money on a decent fertilizer and the proper sized pots for what you want to grow.

I am biased though, I never had luck with those little seed starters and end up putting my seed right into the garden most of the time. The only things I've been able to get going in one of those things were my melons and zucchini and the zucchini about died from heat, which the melons loved.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Any recommendations on which type of containers I should use?
I use 2 cubic foot pots. Mix some organic potting soil with some 13-13-13 and you should be good to go.

Spinach probably has a higher nitrogen requirement then the other plants, but 13-13-13 will probably work for spinach.

A few years ago I grew spinach in pots that fruit trees came in. All I used was some potting soil and a handful of 21-0-0 fertilizer

·
Banned
1,470 Posts
I went out to Lowes today with the hope of putting together a "start up" vegetable garden.

I've got 6 different vegetables spinach, carrots, Jalapeno peppers, broccoli, string beans, and tomatoes.

I have no experience with planting but very anxious to learn. I picked up a Burpee Self Watering seed starter, does anyone have any experience with this kit? It says to wait 4 weeks until the seed sprout and then transfer them into individual containers. Any recommendations on which type of containers I should use? How exactly do SWC's work and what is the best way to build one?
I have all those and more growing in SWCs. Some things have produced for the last couple months, many more things are kicking in now.

SWCs are a proven method of intensive gardening. I have only 250 sq ft devoted to a container garden. The thread is here:

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=223718

·
Registered
60 Posts
We just started our first garden. We live in SC, so the temps lately have been amazing for our veggies. We started from seeds and just put them right in the ground but for herbs I made a mini green house and those have all sprouted too. People laugh but I use the starter kit from Lowes and just tent saran wrap over the top. It has worked for me the last 4 years.Just be careful to never over water!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts