Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
duckbill platypus
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well folks, it looks as if i will be starting over. ive been divorced over a year now and it seems as if ill be starting from scratch.I found a small house to buy.it is a manufactured home sitting on a crawl space.the house is on 3 acres and surrounded by woods with neighbors not too far away.(not totally secluded) i am almost 45 years old and consider myself a "prepper" i will be living alone here except for the occasional visits from my kids.

ive been making a list of priorities such as appliances,furniture and repairs to the house but also things like adding a pantry or storage area and possibly a shed.probably a generator hook-up and wood/coal stove. funds are limited but i can do most repairs myself.:thumb:

it is kind of exciting in a way and sometimes i consider things like hidden compartments for ??? whatever come to mind. escape hatches, secret passages haha

the house needs new windows but i may need to save money for that. i am looking for ideas to save money on the heat bill as well as ideas for emergencies. (loss of power,food storage, etc.)

any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
A woodstove is a great idea, especially if the home is not too big and drafty. Works well with good insulation and good windows.

You will be surprised how much less utilities you use living on your own. You have approximately the same climate as we have at our place and were using LP gas and a woodstove in the winter. We have our stove in the basement and it heats the entire house just fine.

We used far less gas than we expected to last year. We get the tank filled in August because the LP gas is on sale price, then again in late February we top it off. From Feb to Aug this year we used $125 of gas. Our stove/oven is on the gas, as well as the hot water heater, clothes dryer, and furnace. Total we used about $700 in gas last year. Planning to use less in the coming winter because we'll be trusting the woodstove more.

Best of luck with the new house. It's going to be a blast for you to set it up just how you want it :)

·
Back of beyond!
2,575 Posts
well folks, it looks as if i will be starting over. ive been divorced over a year now and it seems as if ill be starting from scratch.I found a small house to buy.it is a manufactured home sitting on a crawl space.the house is on 3 acres and surrounded by woods with neighbors not too far away.(not totally secluded) i am almost 45 years old and consider myself a "prepper" i will be living alone here except for the occasional visits from my kids.

ive been making a list of priorities such as appliances,furniture and repairs to the house but also things like adding a pantry or storage area and possibly a shed.probably a generator hook-up and wood/coal stove. funds are limited but i can do most repairs myself.:thumb:

it is kind of exciting in a way and sometimes i consider things like hidden compartments for ??? whatever come to mind. escape hatches, secret passages haha

the house needs new windows but i may need to save money for that. i am looking for ideas to save money on the heat bill as well as ideas for emergencies. (loss of power,food storage, etc.)

Do what I did if you can and get solar installed. I live completely off grid and have to haul my own water. I also collect rain water to aid my water supply.

The solar is awesome, and I don't lack for any power whatsoever. I can have the TV on, the computer on, and lights and STILL have an adequate amount of power.

I have 6 months of dehydrated and freeze dried food stored, and there's enough deer and elk around here to eat well in the case of an emergency.

·
duckbill platypus
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thats good stuff, thanks! i will have to look into that. i have also considered my garden for next year, canning, dehydrating..even raising chickens.....but that is page 2..im still on page 1 remodelling and winterizing and storing up for winter.there are so many things to plan, like buying a propane tank vs. renting... insulating the crawl space. not to mention the shed idea.the pantry for storage. im looking forward to fixing the place to suit me.

·
Back of beyond!
2,575 Posts
thats good stuff, thanks! i will have to look into that. i have also considered my garden for next year, canning, dehydrating..even raising chickens.....but that is page 2..im still on page 1 remodelling and winterizing and storing up for winter.there are so many things to plan, like buying a propane tank vs. renting... insulating the crawl space. not to mention the shed idea.the pantry for storage. im looking forward to fixing the place to suit me.
Good ideas! We need to get a garden going and get chickens for next year. Been too busy getting everything set up here. We bought a propane tank vs renting, and we get our propane cheaper as a result.

·
Registered
4,010 Posts

Keep an eye daily on craigslist for either free stuff or inexpensive stuff by homeowners. Stay away from the commercial sellers. Also join freecycle in your area and areas near you and put an ad in there for what you need.Everything o there is free. Also try local garage sales for cheap stuff and sometimes you can make a cheaper offer and get it. Thrift stores are also a good place to pick up cheap stuff. St Vincent De Paul is a great one. Salvation Army a little high.

·
Homesteader
1,222 Posts
In one word,"weatherize" your house and it will save you a ton of money. A roll of insulation, caulking, plastic sheeting, foam in a can, and a few other small items to plug all the small air leaks that all houses have. Do this and you will see a significant change in your heating bill. I ducttape all windows and then staple plastic sheeting over the windows, and it makes huge difference in the temperature of a room.

I have lived in an a drafty old trailer for ten years, and have learned the value of making things airtight.

A wood burner will be a great help as well. I am in the process of setting up my wood burning stove, so I am really looking forward to smaller electric bills this winter.

It sounds like you have a great setup to start with, and hopefully you can take a few things that you learn from here, and put them to use. Good luck!!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Wood heat just like everyone said ,If you have a ele. hot water heater put a timer on it set it to come on once a day for one hr. with just you there that will put in a couple windows in no time.

·
Shoot the moon!!
247 Posts
Hi Bucky1, Similar situation here. I am a little older than you, divorced about 5 years ago, moved into a double wide and started from scratch. Thank goodness for my preps. I took them all with me when I moved and they basically got me through several months so that I didn't have to spend so much on groceries. Being female, it was/is hard sometimes but I get by just fine and actually enjoy not having to cater to others.

I had to laugh when you said "it is kind of exciting in a way and sometimes i consider things like hidden compartments for ??? whatever come to mind. escape hatches, secret passages haha". I felt the same way. LOL

whilelm is right about weatherizing. One thing I did when I first moved was get several cans of that foam insulator and fill every single nook and cranny in the house. That will help keep critters out too. I even removed the plates that cover the wall plugs and filled those up. That made a huge difference in the winter.

Put some blinds and insulating curtains on your windows to help cut down on drafts and well as summer sun. If you can't afford curtains right now, buy some of those cheap throw blankets from wal mart (usually see them rolled up and on sale) and hang over the windows to block the sun. I did that when I struggling at first and it helped. I have several windows on the back side of my house where the extremely hot summer sun shines in. I fixed that problem with aluminum foil over the windows. Seal your doors good.

I replaced the big air duct under my house which made a huge difference too. I do have a fireplace in my house so that helps tremendously on the winter power bill.

My house was about 5 years old when I first moved in so it needed some routine maintenance. I replaced the wax ring on the toilets as they had started to leak. Check your water heater. Mine started leaking after about a year so I had to replace that. Thank goodness there wasn't too much water damage. One of the kitchen sink pipes came unglued and had a slow leak that I didn't find for about a week. I guess when a mobile home is moved, all sorts of things are wiggled around.

Sorry for the long reply but I hope that will give you some ideas. It is all from experience.

·
Registered
7,738 Posts
not house oriented reply ... but ..... if you have smaller children that you share custody with your ex-wife .... advise you not to discuss your prep plans and prepping lifestyle with your children .... some preppers have had it used against them in court and child welfare situations ..... social worker types hate us alllllllll

·
Back of beyond!
2,575 Posts
What DW said, except make it a wind/solar hybrid system. If wind is feasible for you.
Good idea for sure! In my area except for stormy periods, there's not much wind to capture. Though I was thinking about getting a wind generator just for the stormy periods too. It would be nice to have additional power for when mother nature is uncooperative.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts