Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live near a salmon river and lochs and in an area thats got a lot of forestry and peat .My houses main heating is a multi fuel stove.I keep chickens (inc a small rooster) and have two cats and a large dog who are pets .
I rent a rural property with decent size gardens and grow some potatoes and hopefully other veg are going to do well
Its in a small settlement a long way from a town .But as the covid lockdown has shown only a few days from being inundated by people from cities and towns escaping any hassle
What would be peoples suggestions for starting to prep .I am primairly concerned about a nuclear strike as the UK has been threatened and we are far enough away from any targeted areas to not be instantly decimated or affected by the blast so the major problem would be radiation and fall out

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I live near a salmon river and lochs and in an area thats got a lot of forestry and peat .My houses main heating is a multi fuel stove.I keep chickens (inc a small rooster) and have two cats and a large dog who are pets .
I rent a rural property with decent size gardens and grow some potatoes and hopefully other veg are going to do well
Its in a small settlement a long way from a town .But as the covid lockdown has shown only a few days from being inundated by people from cities and towns escaping any hassle
What would be peoples suggestions for starting to prep .I am primairly concerned about a nuclear strike as the UK has been threatened and we are far enough away from any targeted areas to not be instantly decimated or affected by the blast so the major problem would be radiation and fall out
this is the dog she would need to be with use while we sheltered
Snow Dog Carnivore Dog breed Mammal

the river thats about 100 yards down from the house we are not far from where it starts

Water Sky Plant Plant community Tree

some of the forestry
Plant Wood Tree Natural landscape Twig

the flock I would want to save them as they forage well and we have good broodys to hatch chicks they are all but one bantams
Bird Plant Phasianidae Chicken Grass

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A way to process and store fresh water would be pretty vital. Then work on slowly stockpiling some additional food. Take your time and research so you don’t waste your time and money.
Hi thanks ,I was going to buy some water butts but I wasnt sure if buying more smaller ones or a two bigger ones is better .(Big garden storage containers for storing rain water ,our water supple froze once winter at our last house so I used one for storing water to use for washing etc ever since its was 25lt though quite small ,I am not sure if water butt is the correct word for them in the US ?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Gorgeous area! As Offrink mentioned, a way to filter water, and store some in case of radiation. Study your prevailing winds to determine fall out risks from any likely nukes. You will need a way to construct a shelter, if you rent will the LL allow it? Do you have a well stocked pantry? If not start adding to it. Aim for a month's food, then three, six, etc.

How are your neighbors? Will they stand together in a tough time.

Are you able to get a gun permit for hunting or something? If so it might be worthwhile in a bad time.

Realistically, Putin is highly unlikely to mess with the UK. This ain't the Queen's first rodeo. He knows if he touches British soil Russia will no longer exist. But globally I feel that "We, the People of Earth" need to mutually remove all these pshcyos in power. Putin, Xi, Jung Un, Bolsenaro, the Burma junta, the Phillipeans just traded one despot for another one, and a few more, including ensuring Trump never gets close to the "button" ever again. If We don't stop it pdq sooner or later boys must play with their toys.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice country. Looks like your forest might have more things you could eat than my forest has.
If civilisation had collapsed and the estate owners had all gone theres lots of stuff to eat , black grouse,pheasants ,sika and Roe deer ,probably rabbits and hares ,the river has trout and sometimes salmon..Wild garlic ,hazel nuts,wild raspberries ,blackberries and whinberrys ,maybe elderberries I have only moved here a few weeks back ,I also used to forage a lot of bolete mushrooms at my last house ,that was densely packed forestry that nobody used for anything so foraging wasnt an issue ,I am planning a trip back in autumn to stock up.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gorgeous area! As Offrink mentioned, a way to filter water, and store some in case of radiation. Study your prevailing winds to determine fall out risks from any likely nukes. You will need a way to construct a shelter, if you rent will the LL allow it? Do you have a well stocked pantry? If not start adding to it. Aim for a month's food, then three, six, etc.

Are you able to get a gun permit for hunting or something? If so it might be worthwhile in a bad time.

Realistically, Putin is highly unlikely to mess with the UK. This ain't the Queen's first rodeo. He knows if he touches British soil Russia will no longer exist. But globally I feel that "We, the People of Earth" need to mutually remove all these pshcyos in power. Putin, Xi, Jung Un, Bolsenaro, the Burma junta, the Phillipeans just traded one despot for another one, and a few more, including ensuring Trump never gets close to the "button" ever again. If We don't stop it pdq sooner or later boys must play with their toys.
Hi thank you
Re the shelter I cant construct anything or dig ,but I was going to use the kitchen for us and the dog cats and three chicken (the rooster and 2 ladies )Because all but small part of one wall are surronded by lots of other walls and theres either radiators or chunky electrical appliances on all the lower walls that I thought might help protect against some radiation.Its got a small window but its deep set and I was going to use cat litter bags and thick steel tray to cover it? I was going to store water in butts against the other remaining bit of the external wall to protect it ,would that work?
I have a windowless small box room next to the chicken but thats got 3 external walls were I was going to put the rest of the chickens ,some plants etc and next to it is our pantry with stored pet food ,chicken food fuel etc
Yes people here stand by each other here,its that kind of place and we tend to be used to fending for ourselves rather than expecting govt help because we are a long way from anywhere the govt cares about ,during Covid lockdowns within a few days the locals got a system in place to collect and deliver supplies and medication etc to all the people in remote areas.Which is trickier than it sounds because we werent allowed to leave homes and gardens except for brief periods of time and a limited number of reasons and all the shops and animal feed places shut.
I cant have a gun they are very hard to get a licence for here,even air guns have to have a licence and cabinet ,but physically I wouldnt be able to hold or shoot one I have quite severe arthritis in my finger joints they are very badly damaged ,I had hunters stay with me at my last house and I had to use two hands to carry a rifle to one of them.But my daughter learned archery and I can just about use a bow .I dont eat meat at the moment but I used to eat spare cockerals if I got mean ones and a lot of game because the hunters often dropped off the ribs and the odd leg of red deer ,But the chickens eggs and spare boys were going to be my protein providers

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Medical stuff is pretty high on my list.
Yes I worry about that its hard to stockpile medicine here in the UK because most of it has to be prescribed ,I couldnt even get any form of medication for my birds because we had an avian flu lockdown and anyone asking for chicken meds ended up with defra on their doorstep.
But I bought Iodine tablets as I read those were the main thing you ought to take if there was a problem with radiation ,either an accident or bomb and I wondered about buying other radiation linked stuff like charcoal or D.E

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

re Putin ,I was wondering how likely he would be,,,but we live in an area that the RAF uses occasionally for war game type exercises and theres been a lot more exercises going on recently normally its maybe a three or four of planes once or at most twice a year because we are a long way from any bases ,but theres been two or three the past month using more planes than normal and they started straight after the war with Ukraine started

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Here's a good resource for nuke stuff. Best to print it out or get a hard copy or maybe on a removable drive. It has all sorts of info and being self reliant.
I would fill your recycled bags with dirt or gravel to block window openings if possible.
I have raised chickens many times and it takes about 25KG of food to get them thru a bad winter with below -20C temps here where I live.
I currently have 14 peepers coming up and i managed to find some "clean out grains" from a feed mill that were available very cheaply. This summer the chickens will be on grass hopper control for our garden. We grow hard winter squash that keep thru the winter in a cool room.
Since you have the knowledge of many things try to find some others that can be the brawn to your brains. A small group can make things so much more possible.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Maybe think about a high quality respirator with top of the line filters. Even a gas mask, except they’re pretty expensive. Breathing fallout is worse than getting some in your hair. You can’t wash it off if you breathe it.
Hi I will def look at that thanks ,I looked at the disposable PPE suits because I figured we might need to go out at least once during the first weeks after any event though I was hoping to avoid it..

·
Registered
330 Posts
re Putin ,I was wondering how likely he would be,,,but we live in an area that the RAF uses occasionally for war game type exercises and theres been a lot more exercises going on recently normally its maybe a three or four of planes once or at most twice a year because we are a long way from any bases ,but theres been two or three the past month using more planes than normal and they started straight after the war with Ukraine started
For sure I hear you. Our home is on the edge of the desert between two mountain ranges. Apparently there is a rarely used flight path for fighter jets that goes right over our subdivision. Three times in the past couple of years we've nearly jumped out of our skins when fighters flew just under the speed of sound about 300 feet over our house - and then hit the afterburners to get over the other mountains, about 10 miles and 6,000 feet higher. So fast they are completely gone by the time I get outside! Last time was on Easter Sunday. The AF never sleeps.

I understand about guns in Britain. Didn't know about air guns before. Still your situation sounds very good. And I suspect your neighbors will be more civilized than some of mine in a bad time.

Regarding a shelter, what you are doing sounds better than what we have available. If you have a heavy table and enough books you can pile them on top and create an indoor shelter or as Montana Bill said, maybe use sand bags of some sort.

We are (hopefully) not in a fall out zone. It is one of my weak areas. Hopefully they won't waste a nuke on our nearby dam. In which case we'll be stardust.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here's a good resource for nuke stuff. Best to print it out or get a hard copy or maybe on a removable drive. It has all sorts of info and being self reliant.
I would fill your recycled bags with dirt or gravel to block window openings if possible.
I have raised chickens many times and it takes about 25KG of food to get them thru a bad winter with below -20C temps here where I live.
I currently have 14 peepers coming up and i managed to find some "clean out grains" from a feed mill that were available very cheaply. This summer the chickens will be on grass hopper control for our garden. We grow hard winter squash that keep thru the winter in a cool room.
Since you have the knowledge of many things try to find some others that can be the brawn to but your brains. A small group can make things so much more possible.
Hi thanks I will check the link .
Thanks for the chicken feed estimate .Its not usually minus 20 here luckily even overnight ,I think it dipped to minus 17 once but normally its only a few below zero even at night .Our main problem here weather wise are gales and sometimes snow
I keep trying to grow some squash's I really wanted to store some for winter but my last house I had big problems with the landlords sheep eating my garden stuff because I wasnt allowed proper fences around my land but here its different even though I only have a small garden its properly fenced so I got more seed this year. I bought some traditional pumpkins and also some turks turban ,some warty squashes ,some acorn squash ,urki squash and some blue hubbarb squash. To see which will grow and which will store

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
For sure I hear you. Our home is on the edge of the desert between two mountain ranges. Apparently there is a rarely used flight path for fighter jets that goes right over our subdivision. Three times in the past couple of years we've nearly jumped out of our skins when fighters flew just under the speed of sound about 300 feet over our house - and then hit the afterburners to get over the other mountains, about 10 miles and 6,000 feet higher. So fast they are completely gone by the time I get outside! Last time was on Easter Sunday. The AF never sleeps.

I understand about guns in Britain. Didn't know about air guns before. Still your situation sounds very good. And I suspect your neighbors will be more civilized than some of mine in a bad time.

Regarding a shelter, what you are doing sounds better than what we have available. If you have a heavy table and enough books you can pile them on top and create an indoor shelter or as Montana Bill said, maybe use sand bags of some sort.

We are (hopefully) not in a fall out zone. It is one of my weak areas. Hopefully they won't waste a nuke on our nearby dam. In which case we'll be stardust.
Hi
Yes the planes make a huge noise and mostly by the time I hear one and look they are long gone
In most of Britain I think its still legal to have an air gun without a licence ,but in Scotland it isnt ,I dont know if maybe its because Scotland is where most of the hunting estates are so they want to make it harder for people to poach game because you have to give a reason for needing a gun ,Here I wouldnt really have one.
Your not allowed tasers or any self defence aids in the UK not even pepper spray ,I had a spray that just sprayed dye onto an attacker and the police said that wasnt strictly legal either.Your not allowed to carry most knives either .I had one a hunter gave me for when I went into the forest because something big was killing sheep and I worried about being in the deeper bits of the forest.But I wasnt supposed to carry it outside of the estates land

·
Homesteader
4,478 Posts
Welcome Macleod. Sounds to me you are on the right track. If you have a well, water filtration is not as much of an issue. A way to retrieve it without electricity is certainly a requirement.

It sounds like you are more likely to need protection from nuclear fallout than a nuclear blast. I'm not sure what you'd call it in Scotland but some plastic sheeting and duct tape will ward off a lot of fallout particles. After a couple of weeks the danger lessens greatly. Bring the animals inside too.

You certainly live in beautiful country. A net for the salmon river would be handy but the samon could be subject to fallout.

·
Registered
429 Posts
You are doing fine. Good location. I would just keep practicing skills (esp water foraging/filter), meet a few neighbors when you can, and keep doing your thing.

Those small villages outside the cities are pretty good... can have your space, people know and look out for one another, etc. They are most likely to survive.

If the area gets rough, have a few places to go to and skills to get there. You are correct that areas outside the city are suddenly not far at all if folks come looking. A bug out bag in home and one in vehicle would be logical, 2-3 weeks water at home, and 2-3 months long life food (full pantry of your normal food plus some rice, beans, oats, hard tack, dry nuts, etc) is good. The garden and livestock stuff is nice but can't be counted on in a weather disaster or many others... plus, it attracts attention.

Anything much more isolated than that type of location usually has severe weather that is tough even for a highly skilled outdoorsman. You have the porridge that Goldilocks chose with remote but not ultra-rural either. I do the same type of setup.

The nuclear war or fallout stuff is tricky... you are basically screwed on that one. People like to pretend otherwise, but there just aren't many happy endings there - short of an underground life you probably don't want anyways. You can try to prep for that if you want, but I doubt you can do that much digging and excavation and pouring at a rental, lol. The more common SHTF for you would be weather (storms, drought, etc), riot/unrest in the city, civil or military war, pandemic, etc. Good luck

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Mhari,

My suggestion;

Using your food program as a base line, place much emphasis on your shelter in place personal health care arrangements - optical, dental, medical, psychological - to include an area to treat a wound/injury. An exclusive supply of water placed in this area is ideal.

To me, less worry about a nuclear strike and more so re the "devolution" the politicians discuss.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts