Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i am not new to firearms at all but i am looking for a nice bolt action rifle, something i am put a scope on and possibly use for some deer hunting. it has to be reasonably priced ammo has to be a decent price also. i current have a enfield and the old trusty m44 but i am looking for a nice rifle non military surplus. a synthetic stock would be really nice too. any ideas would be great i am used to hunting with a shotgun and am fairly new to the rifle area.

thanks in advance

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Welcome.

There's quite a few nice bolt action rifles out there, and in quite a few different calibers as well. It all comes down to what you want to spend on one, to include optics.
One of my favorites has always been the Remington model 7 in either 308, or 7mm-08. I would also recomend that you take a look at Savage as well. I've heard good things about the Mossberg ATR from a buddy of mine that owns one in 308. He has had it for about a month now, and he seems to like it so far.
I'd also look around at your local pawn shops as well. Every now and again I run across a decent used gun for a reasonable price.

Hope this helps.

11B

·
Freedom Is Not Free
662 Posts
Ruger, Remmington,Winchester, Kimber,Browning,Savage, Springfield, Mauser, etc. etc. All of these are good firms/designs.
A lot of good used bolt guns out there. Do your research. Pickup and shoulder a lot of guns. What fits me, may not fit you. I would stay .308 or .30-06 due to wide variety and availability of ammo. Good luck

·
Registered
300 Posts
Start out with something that will not clean out your wallet and then some...go for a weapon that you can easily shoulder, and aim without much fuss or hassle. It shouldn't be too heavy for your first rifle...it should feel right in your hands and be able to hold it steady, without a lot of over correcting due to size and weight. A scope is always a nice option ,but not necessary..
Make sure the caliber you choose, has stopping power, and killing ability. A shot gun will surly blow one hell of a hole in someone, but it also sprays and scatters flesh and blood everywhere. Messy! A powerful rifle can drop the vermin-villian, many yards out, and in many cases, you can make a clean undetected get away...if that is your game plan.
I like the .308 and the 30.06. The .308 can be gotten in the LR/AR format, and use up to a 10-19 round magazine. The 30.06 can only be gotten in a sportster-hunters setup,with a 5 round internal mag being the most common. Both rifles are semi auto.

Any rifle can kill. All calibers can kill. It depends on the proficiency of the user-shooter.
A .22 cal rifle will also do the job. But, if your hit your target wrong, all it'll do is really **** them off...don't hunt Grizzly Bears with a 22. I won't suggest you think about using it as your main weapon of self defense either. Go for the shock that kills, .308, or 30.06 will do the job. Practice,practice,practice, until you can hit your target everytime with out fail...let us know what you decide!

·
Destroyer of Ignorance
2,988 Posts
I'd go with the Stevens Model 200. I have one in 30-06. Has a synthetic stock, iron sights, and comes in a bunch of different calibers. I think I paid around $300 new. I must say that this rifle has far surpassed my expectations.

Oh yeah, it's actually made by Savage. It's basically a Savage 110 (?). I put a scope on it and she'll throw lead all day into a one inch group at 100 yards with Remington Core-Lokt Ammo.

·
Premium Member
2,339 Posts
I'd go with the Stevens Model 200. I have one in 30-06. Has a synthetic stock, iron sights, and comes in a bunch of different calibers. I think I paid around $300 new. I must say that this rifle has far surpassed my expectations.

Oh yeah, it's actually made by Savage. It's basically a Savage 110 (?). I put a scope on it and she'll throw lead all day into a one inch group at 100 yards with Remington Core-Lokt Ammo.
I have quite a few people give the same time of review. A non-military bolt action rifle is low on my list of things to buy, but if I need to go out and buy one now. It would probably be the Stevens.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Look for a gently used gun. right now the pawn shops are full of them. Prices are right despite it being in season. In Dallas the Dallas Ind. School District just laid off a bunch of their teachers as an example. Lot of people out of work means lots of things in Pawn Shops and gun stores sold back cheap. Pawn Shops want stuff to move so they sometimes will make deals. Be sure you know the new prices of the gun you are looking at. Stick with calibers you may other rifles in. .308 is a good military round that also translates well into most areas as a hunting round. Very good for 300 meters and under. WIll work in an M1A as an example. DOn't get too exotic with the rounds you buy. STick with stuff you can get easily.

·
Be Prepared
448 Posts
Yet another vote for Savage. Dollar for dollar, the most accurate rifles made. Look for their "package" rifles. They come with a scope mounted/boresighted and a sling for a bit less than buying all separate.

·
Editor, Ready Magazine
588 Posts
All of the brands mentioned have good records and get good reviews. I don't think that you will go wrong with any of them either new or hardly used from a pawn shop.

I picked up a Mossberg 100 at a local pawn shop last month and so far I am very happy with it. It is in .308 and came with sling, Quick Detach bi-pod and a Bushnel Scope Chief 4-12x 40mm Scope and sits in one of the nice Mossy Oak stocks. So you can see that I second the Pawn notion. Great place to find deals, just make sure the dealer is a decent guy.

·
Registered
5,588 Posts
308 - don't see many for resale
30 06 - the standard
Savage Ruger Remington
Savage is hot right now, and usually most accurate
Ruger heavy duty action - hit and miss quality
Remington - the standard, but I heard was having some real issues

Stainless Steel and plastic

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.