Survivalist Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
Ready
1,250 Posts
My 3/4 has always run 10 ply. They are stiff. When my new ATs were installed they did the 80 rear and 60 front. It’s 4wd and I “x pattern” them when I rotate. Didn’t make sense to run the 60/80 plus from my understanding that is the setup for towing. I run 60 all the way and it makes a difference.

I might suggest tires that have Kevlar. Maybe run flats?

I have heard of many people running 10 ply tires on jeeps and Tacoma’s. Most want them for the added stiffness, puncture resistance, and the ability to run 10 psi on trails. Many that I have heard run them on the road miss the ride and mileage of the originals.

My 4Runner runs the exact same size as my 3/4 ton. I considered 10 ply for them but decided it was unnecessary overkill. The price of tires recently I could almost afford two sets of C/D tires for the price of 10 ply.

I have also seen people putting regular tires on a 3/4 ton when it should have been 10 ply and it does not last long for them.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Care to provide some specific examples?
Nobody sells 10 ply tires anymore. They are load range E. If you run load range E tires on a vehicle that takes load range D tires, you don't have to have them inflated to 80 PSI. Most half ton truck wheels are only good for 40-50 PSI. Tire manufacturers also have inflation charts so that you can see what you require for the load you are hauling. There is also a huge psychological factor when adjusting tire pressure for a better ride. It only feels better because you think it does.

Source: I have been a mechanic for 25 years and have driven a bazillion different trucks will all kinds of tires. A P265/70R17 at 35 PSI vs an LT265/70R17 at 35 PSI will be indistinguishable.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
I have 3 3/4 ton trucks and run 10 ply tires on them But My Jeep Grand Cherokee is an 07 I lifted it and put oversize tires on it 265/70/17 10 ply General Grabber ATX on it The ride was so bad, it was un-driveable the Jeep didn't weigh enough to flex the sidewalls of the tires I would go around a curve and it would loose traction an slide on wet roads. I swapped the 10 ply's for normal tires and everything went back to normal.

·
NRA Life 1971
9,371 Posts
My 1/2 ton came with 6 ply rated tires. I changed them to 8s.
I liked the additional rigidity. Never tried 10s.

·
Registered
143 Posts
It is time to buy some tires for my FJ Cruiser. 265/70r17

I will be purchasing some Cooper's, but have the option of standard ply or 10-ply.

For a survival vehicle... would you abandon a "nice ride" of standard ply tires.... or would you go with 10 ply tires, because they are so much tougher???

If you have to go off-road, you can kiss goodbye to the nice ride anyway. I'd go with the 10ply, if I had the money.

·
Registered
15,528 Posts
Nobody sells 10 ply tires anymore. They are load range E. If you run load range E tires on a vehicle that takes load range D tires, you don't have to have them inflated to 80 PSI. Most half ton truck wheels are only good for 40-50 PSI. Tire manufacturers also have inflation charts so that you can see what you require for the load you are hauling. There is also a huge psychological factor when adjusting tire pressure for a better ride. It only feels better because you think it does.

Source: I have been a mechanic for 25 years and have driven a bazillion different trucks will all kinds of tires. A P265/70R17 at 35 PSI vs an LT265/70R17 at 35 PSI will be indistinguishable.
I get all that. So let's move into the 21st Century a bit and compare the modern day equivalent:
Font Number Darkness Circle Multimedia

And with that, I am out of the thread. OP should buy what he's comfortable with for his vehicle and application along with availability at this time.

·
That'll be the day...
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
The last five years I have run 10-plies on my Ram 1500.... just because I was towing a camper and driving back in the woods and have never had a flat.

I did learn the "Chalk Tread Test", which I did to the Ram.... You buy that kiddy side-walk chalk and cover a small square of your concrete driveway... and then drive your vehicle over it to "see" the tread contact. Then you adjust the PSI until you have 100% contact and that is the 'right' PSI for the tire and your rig. I would run 45psi on the front and 40psi on the rear, when I wasn't hauling or towing anything and the ride was pretty decent. Not as good a ride as 4 plies, but darn close. This is my plan for the FJ as well.

So yes, I am going to purchase the 10 ply tires. Mainly, there is one reason..... This spring, the wife and I are going to drive the FJ Cruiser around the White Rim Trail, out in Moab, UT, and I don't want to EVER think about tire issues on that trip. It's a two day, 4x4 drive... with one night of camping... but it is spectacular! I have done it 4 times on a motorcycle.

10 Plies... here I come.....

1,259 Posts
I run Falken Wildpeak AT3/W 10 ply on my trucks. Load range E. When I’m not towing, I air them down to 40psi, which gives them a good, soft ride and a little better grip on non-snowy pavement and dirt/mud. In winter I put them at 55psi for a little narrower profile to cut through snow. Then when I tow (5500lb horse trailer, either with horse or hay) I air them up to 65 psi (1/2 ton) or 75psi (3/4 ton). The tire is rated up to 80psi.

·
Premium Member
4,493 Posts

It makes a difference off road. In fact you can get unstuck from the sand or mud by deflating a tire a bit.

i always air mine up to the max when on the hwy.

·
Registered
146 Posts
10 ply for sure.

I have ran nothing but Michelins for years. Their only weakness is softer than usual sidewalls, which explains why they ride better than most.

Current truck came with Bridgestones. Never had them before, and have been impressed. Put Mich's on the Queens Acura. My GMC Sierra 4wd still rides better and is quieter.

When truck needs tires, it will definitely be between the Mich's and Bridgestones.

That said, we run Sumitomo 10ply on the company Colorados. We are on hwy, farms and powerline right-a-ways with stobs everywhere. So far they are the only tire we haven't punctured, and we're on our second set for both trucks. Good wear as well.

·
Fixer
1,329 Posts
It is time to buy some tires for my FJ Cruiser. 265/70r17

I will be purchasing some Cooper's, but have the option of standard ply or 10-ply.

For a survival vehicle... would you abandon a "nice ride" of standard ply tires.... or would you go with 10 ply tires, because they are so much tougher???

brother in law owns a tire store he said cooper bought out by china i ran weathermasters for years now running blizaks dont know what who owns them as i just jumped off the coopers sick of china they also own g.e. appliance division.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Had 10 ply on my F250 4x4 would definitely deal with the trade off of reduced comfort. The 10 plys didn't ride so bad and I could drive over rocks and trees that would decimate normal tires. I had Hankook dynapro 2. Awesome tire and lasted over the advertised 50k miles.

·
That'll be the day...
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
10 Plies are a no-brainer for 250/2500 to 350/3500 trucks.... They are standard.

The question is... 10 plies on a Half-ton or SUV????

·
Wannabe Mountain Hermit
14,411 Posts
I bought brand new 10 ply for my suburban when I bought it in 2011. I've only had 1 flat in all that time. Hope they stay together for quite a bit longer, knock on wood, because I can't afford another set.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Snow Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Slope

No I would get regular bfgs they don’t get out of round they are sticky in the snow
not very loud I had a set of 321150s on my wrangler rubicon and they lasted .
The fallowing week I drove up there in 2’ of snow with both axels locked

Snow Sky Automotive tire Motor vehicle Plant

·
Premium Member
4,493 Posts
View attachment 411451
No I would get regular bfgs they don’t get out of round they are sticky in the snow
not very loud I had a set of 321150s on my wrangler rubicon and they lasted .
The fallowing week I drove up there in 2’ of snow with both axels locked

View attachment 411449
Yea my C rated KO2s feel pretty solid. I see other jeep guys rolling over some sharp rocks while rock crawling on those tires. They do air down a bit first though.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts