Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Red White and Blue
6,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
lazing around one day last week watching the world go by. I had pickups on my mind and I noticed they were almost all four-door or extended cab. hardly any regular old two-door standard cab, and they were mostly old.

so are people not interested in regular cabs anymore?

I think more people are seeing this as family vehicles instead of farm or work stuff.

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
33,964 Posts
Might have to order it as a work truck. I suppose they want to maximize the money they get on each vehicle. Some companies have pretty much given up on cars for that reason. They make all their money on SUVs and trucks.
You can peruse them on Edmunds.com

Also, US car manufacturers are practically shut down right now because they can't get all the silicon chips they need these days.
Global semiconductor shortage.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
It took a lot of Searching to find this f 350 standers cab with 430 gears , rear locking axles
It’s a STX package .
I really did not want 4 doors with 6’ bed , I don’t now why every one is buying them
I rarely drive with more then one person in the truck .
This truck cost 37500 plus tax but it took 2 months of price negotiation to get for that price . Every one wanted 45k ?
D60453E0-FBF1-4C59-B6F0-F5DCC61C5B73.jpeg

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
16,155 Posts
People have been buying non work trucks for many years now. Non work trucks are commonly used as a second family vehicle, or for recreation. I guess this is a natural part of our population moving from farms, to more urban areas.

Does not change my ride. We have a std cab, 8ft bed 3/4 ton, and a std cab, 8ft bed, one ton 4wd, and every thing I own has a 5sp manual.

I plan to replace the 8 ft bed on my Diesel one ton, with a steel flat bed to handle round bales.

·
Registered
21 Posts
For those who use a truck only for work and short trips the standard cab can be a winner. Those of us who like extended cabs are not somehow less "truckley" in our DNA.

I've driven a truck off and on, mostly on, since I got married in 1978. All standard cabs until 1994. Then my first extended cab, or king cab as some call it, was a '92 Dodge Dakota SLT with the ... 5.0L V8 engine in it. I had a love-hate relationship with that truck. I loved the extra room because I use my truck for everything - daily driver, stuff hauler, and at the time, travel vehicle because I was working a lot on the road.

But I hated that truck because it drank gas. The thing was insatiable. Pulling into a gas station I thought to myself one day that "if I leave this thing running while sitting at the gas pump, it may never fill completely up."

The Dodge was hands-down more comfortable than any previous truck I had owned, but I later I traded it on a garage queen 1990 Ford Ranger extended cab (3.0L V6) and never looked back. I'm now driving my 4th Ranger.

With that said, Ford blew it out their pooper chute with the new "Euro" Ranger. The new ones are 8/10's of an F150, and I don't want a full sized truck. Additionally, at age 66 I have become aware of the fall hazards represented by the higher vehicles. For my purposes, the "slide in, slide out" access factors are a plus on the trucks like my 2010 Ranger. And not to forget, the ability to stand on the ground (instead of a running board or a step-stool) and reach into the bed for my chain saw or whatever is a valuable feature. The new Rangers fail at those points, so my next purchase will be a Nissan Frontier.

Finally, the new full-sized trucks with a crew cab are really luxury sedans with an open trunk. Why not go ahead and buy an SUV and be done with it?

·
Registered
121 Posts
My first truck was a two door. After that I went with extra cabs to throw stuff in the back. I got a 4 door and almost never used the extra doors. My last truck was a '62 Willys. Loved it but sold it when I moved. Now I drive a Subaru Baja because I can haul stuff for the garden and my golf clubs.

·
Wildlife Proctologist
2,324 Posts
I don’t fault other for having different priorities but personally don’t need or care for four door trucks. I like a bigger bed and it’s not a family car. For me, extended cabs are perfect for some extra cab room. Plus I haul stuff in my bed much more frequently than I do people in the cab. After I bought my first one I never wanted to go back to a regular cab. I did make a dog platform and can keep things out of sight below it.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
A standard cab limits utility.

Hunting, fishing, and trade jobs are all made easier with a truck but I don't want to leave my bow, gun, or expensive tools in the bed or piled up on the passenger seat where they can be easily seen and stolen. Even stuff like PFDs or other large and bulky but lightweight items are better stored in the cab than in the bed to blown out.

Also, sometimes you're transporting more than one person and more than one person's "this goes inside the cab" stuff.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Gone are the days that trucks are almost solely used on a construction site and therefore equipped with two doors, an 8 foot bed, hand crank windows and manual door locks. More and more people use them for recreation now. Even without a family I personally prefer having a back seat as it allows me to load more stuff like bags, groceries, guns, packs, ect into the dry cab, rather than the bed. Also nice for the rare occasion that I have passengers. And I drive a lot so it's nice to have a nicer truck. As far as the price goes, it sucks that they're so expensive these days but I think that comes from both consumer demand as well as safety regulations/incentives. It makes them look good when they have technology like blind spot notification, advanced airbag tech, bigger displays, ect. And then people want technology packages, dedicated towing packages, leather seats, more attractive trim, power everything and high tech off-road packages. As time goes on, what used to be luxury becomes standard and increases the price of base models. Not to mention when you finance or lease a truck it's much easier to just throw in an extra few grand here and there since it only raises the monthly payment another $60.

Basically we've done it to ourselves lol

·
Super Moderator
2,223 Posts
My first "truck" was a S10 4x4. Next was the first Super Duty (98 I believe) an F250 4x4. #3 was an F350 dually diesel 4x4 2006. Next was an F350 4 door 4x4 gas motor (On the right in the pic below) #5 is a 2021 F350 Tremor 4 door 4x4 (left in the pic.) From my experience, the 4 door medium bed is the way to go. Comfort, security, performance everything to like, nothing to hate.

My sister didn't want any of the new fangled stuff, so we bought her an F150 4x4 with the EcoBoost motor. She loves it.

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
16,938 Posts
I used a lot of pickups (hired drivers) for my last job over 20 years many many trips to Sam's Club.

I needed a real pickup. One that could haul several hundred pounds of inventory, in an 8 foot bed. The old f-150's were pretty good for that but the "back door' always developed latch problems. The new pickups are an embarrassment, some pimped out cab with this tiny little 4 foot bed on the back. Ridiculous.

Give me an old school pickup with a real bed any day. You never know what you might want to haul one day and most people never have more than 1-2 people total in their pickup.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Sales of 4 door 4wd utes in Australia have boomed the last 10 years, people have moved away from large sedans. They even out sell 4wd wagons.

4 door utes satisfy carrying the family, have a tray for work stuff, camping, the dog etc.

·
Born 120 years too late.
5,211 Posts
WHILE I am not a fan of the 4dr cabs now, I really like my extended cabs with the bat wing doors.
I like the extra room of the extended cab. On the conventional cab it seemed I could never get the seat back far enough.
99.99% of the time I am driving alone so I don't need the extra seats but I can get the seat back far enough and I can throw a lot of gear into the back seat area.

When I tried the Avalanche, I liked the set up and I think it is/was a good concept, just it was just way too nice for the way I treat a vehicle with dogs and such so I sold it to a friend who was looking for a truck.

I am presently driving a bat wing extended cab 2006 Silverado w/6.5' bed as my DD.
then again, if I need 8' or longer capacity I have the 1 ton or trailers I can use.

·
Born 120 years too late.
5,211 Posts
I WAS talking to a Detroit guy who worked for GM and he said they found after stopping production on the Avalanche they got enough complaints they decided to bring it back... sort of.. and that was why the proliferation of 4 door trucks with short beds

Reactions: Sailorsam

·
SBs Resident Non Prepper
7,558 Posts
I have been driving trucks for years...I wouldn’t waste my money on a std cab truck
Example... before I climb into my truck...off comes my coat... do I toss it on the seat next to me or toss it into the back seat? Ms Goodwrench won’t like it much if I toss it on her seat..lol
So it gets tossed into the back seat.
Same goes for my daily carry Swiss gear backpack.

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
I bought my last PU about 9 years ago. I don't care what everybody else is doing, for my needs I wanted a used standard cab, FWD, manual tranny, mid size engine, 8" bed. That was a pretty standard truck 10 years before that. When I started looking I was amazed that I couldn't find one!!! Finally did find one on the internet 500 miles away. Hate to make that long a trip to buy something because it kind of forces you to be less particular if you aren't happy when you see it. Luckily my PU and I get along just fine.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
I think more people are seeing this as family vehicles instead of farm or work stuff.
Just my point of view.I work at a construction warehouse,load trucks all day long.
Work trucks.
Not 1 person would choose a reg cab vs ext or 4 door.Even at the expense of a shorter bed,the utility of inside space is more important.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts