Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are so many different martial arts out there and so many different strategies. The purpose of this thread will be to discuss why you prefer either ground fighting or stand up fighting. In order to stop any arguments from forming, let's keep to the positives of what you prefer and stay away from the negatives of other strategies.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Il start, my personal preference is to stay on my feet. I feel more comfortable with this for the following reasons.

I'm flexible to use more techniques, anything from takedowns to punching and kicking

It allows me to keep good situational awareness

I can keep the fight at a longer range with kicks, an unskilled opponent would be less likely to know how do deal with kicks.

And if worst comes to worst, I can escape easier. I've always been taught to fight towards the door for just that reason.

Please note, I am bias because I haven't recieved much training in ground fighting as my art is shorin ryu shidokan karate. I don't have anything against ground fighting, I just personally ovoid it if possible.

·
living county style
748 Posts
the last fist fight i was in was 1 year ago. it started out as stand up fist fighting and i was doing good till he got me into a choke hold and almost killed me cause i couldnt breath.my friends told be he was trained martial arts fighter.

ive never been in a choking fight before so i had no clue how to get him off my back and off my neck.

but if theres a next time i know iam going to rip his eys out of his head,i didnt think of that before. ill stab his eyes with my fingers

i could of lied about me choking him but the truth is better the a lie

how could you defeat this kind of fight

·
Giggity
395 Posts
I prefer staying on my feet though I have studied Brazilian Jiujitsu, among other forms of martial arts including karate and kung-fu and muay thai kickboxing. Also learned how to keep people at a distance but I know if I go up against a ground fighter, we are going to the ground if he get's a hold of me.

My biggest reason for staying on my feet is I don't want a long engagement, and being on my feet I can escape and evade quickly. Also, if you go to the ground, it gives others who may be a friend of your opponent a better chance of kicking your head in while your on the ground. Just my two cents. I'm sure there are plenty of people on here with much more knowledge than I have.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the last fist fight i was in was 1 year ago. it started out as stand up fist fighting and i was doing good till he got me into a choke hold and almost killed me cause i couldnt breath.my friends told be he was trained martial arts fighter.

ive never been in a choking fight before so i had no clue how to get him off my back and off my neck.

but if theres a next time i know iam going to rip his eys out of his head,i didnt think of that before. ill stab his eyes with my fingers

That's an unfortunate situation to find yourself in. There are a lot of counters and escapes for just about every hold, but your plan of stabbing his eyes is a good one. Remember, no such thing as a fair fight.

·
Retired Army
6,182 Posts
I am partly disabled and walk with a cane. Although I can use the cane as a weapon, my back and hip limits me on my feet. I still have much of my upper body strength so these days, I'd probably do better on the ground.

That said, I'd rather use my .45 or a blade... get it over with quick.

21,428 Posts

Sorry about the eye poking thing but your hands are going to be busy doing other stuff.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
I'm not a boxer, and don't believe in sparing upright, but once I get someone on the ground and can control their movements, its elbows, open palm strikes, arm bars and chokes.

The fun part is taking them from the standing to the ground.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Depends on the situation really. I almost always prefer to stay on my feet, mostly so I can access my firearm or run the hell away (there have been exceptions in my past where I intentionally took a fight to the ground), but I've found that the chaotic nature of a fight means that what I want usually doesn't matter. If I'm going up against a better wrestler, I'm probably going to end up on the ground. If it's a crowded area, I'll probably end up clinched and might end up on the ground simply because there's no space to maneuver.

When I was working security at parties for my fraternity, I took most of the rowdy drunks down to tie them up and stop them from hitting me or going for something in their pockets. Worked well when I had other people to cover my back and keep others from putting boots to my head. Never had anybody actually try to stomp me, whether that was because no one wanted to or they saw the other Pikes standing around I don't know.

One time I got into with an gf's ex. He was a good boxer, or thought he was at least, decided he was gonna whip my A** to show how bad he was in front of his ex. Rather than stand and punch and kick with someone who was good in that area (I honestly thought I was a better boxer than him, I KNOW he had zero kicks and his clinch work was mostly hug and hold for the ref to break them up, so I was pretty sure I could take him without much problem standing), I took him down into a realm he knew nothing about, mounted him and pounded him senseless without taking a single punch myself.

Again, i had friends nearby to keep others from putting boots to my head while on the ground. None of them even got into pushing matches with others around, so not sure how much danger I would've been in from others had my friends not been there.

Hope for the best, expect the worst and always have backup plans and escape strategies. :D:

·
Registered
91 Posts
We as humans are made to stay upright and mobile. It is why we have 2 legs and walk uprightly, and we are capable of running from danger and still do so in an upright manner. With that said I am a huge proponet of staying on your feet because you are mobile, as opposed to being locked up on the ground with someone which limits your abilty to change directions as quickly as if you were already standing. No fight is ever fair and I'm not a fan of being on the ground with someone while his buddies start kicking or worse yet, stabbing me. Yes I can be attacked by multiple people while standing, but I'm certain that my chances of escape and survival are greater if I am mobile on my feet.

With that said, I think you need to at least have a good working knowledge of ground techniques and defense just in case you find yourself on the ground and out of your element. At least you'll have a little knowledge to help you get back to your feet again.

just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
441 Posts
You need both....those martial arts instructors that state you don't need ground fighting have no idea what they are talking about and are too lazy or too proud to seek grappling training. Being well rounded is the key to ensure adequate self protection. Weapons training is a must too...... blade and firearms training are essential as well. Don't be half a warrior....be a complete one.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
You need both....those martial arts instructors that state you don't need ground fighting have no idea what they are talking about and are too lazy or too proud to seek grappling training. Being well rounded is the key to ensure adequate self protection. Weapons training is a must too...... blade and firearms training are essential as well. Don't be half a warrior....be a complete one.
sorry off topic but cuchillo I didn't realize you were under Carlson. do you know Todd Medina by any chance. He was the main event at one of my first pro mma fights way back in 2001 I think he had the tatoo of the two dogs you have in your avatar on his chest.

·
Registered
441 Posts
sorry off topic but cuchillo I didn't realize you were under Carlson. do you know Todd Medina by any chance. He was the main event at one of my first pro mma fights way back in 2001 I think he had the tatoo of the two dogs you have in your avatar on his chest.
I know who he is but I never met him. I just recently got with the Carlson Gracie Team but my professor started out with Carlson Gracie and he trained under some of Carlson Gracie black belts such as Ricardo De La Riva so he had a style like Carlson which I like so that is why I switched to them. I used to be with the BJJ Revolution Team which is pretty much the same thing. :D: I don't remember if we talked about this before but where do you train?

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
I was once a gang member and leader and was wanted by most gangs in Chicago. I have fought out numbered many time and not by choice. You need to stay on your feet and don't left them get a hold of ya. My judo and karate back ground saved me many times.Yes I'm that good.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This thread has mostly advocated for stand up fighting so far, can anybody give an argument for ground fighting in a self defense situation? (not interested in the sports fighting advantages.)

·
Retired Army
6,182 Posts
" This thread has mostly advocated for stand up fighting so far, can anybody give an argument for ground fighting in a self defense situation? (not interested in the sports fighting advantages.)"

An old cripple like me. I can't run away from, or chase after a bad guy. I still have sufficient upper body strength to wrestle around on the ground and throw punches and elbows.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I know who he is but I never met him. I just recently got with the Carlson Gracie Team but my professor started out with Carlson Gracie and he trained under some of Carlson Gracie black belts such as Ricardo De La Riva so he had a style like Carlson which I like so that is why I switched to them. I used to be with the BJJ Revolution Team which is pretty much the same thing. :D: I don't remember if we talked about this before but where do you train?
I started under Charles about ten years ago. My current gym is a hyrbrid our no gi comes from Cesar and our gi come from Saulo and Xande

21,428 Posts
This thread has mostly advocated for stand up fighting so far, can anybody give an argument for ground fighting in a self defense situation? (not interested in the sports fighting advantages.)
Reasons to go to the gound.

It is easier to hold people and make arrests.

The advantage over strikers is there.

You may have five mates doing the kicking.

The only way to prevent being on the ground is learning ground fighting.

You are more versitile as a fighter.

You can yell "Jujitsu mother ****er" as you break someones arm.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts