Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this stuff is available in several different o.d.'s as the size of the bead requires. rustproof and stronger than mild steel wire. the smallest (.025 or .028 IIRC) would do fine.
would be real handy for woods/stream survival used to make snares, trot line leaders etc. also lashing and secureing.
welding supplys carry it in smaller or larger spools or reels, and a welding job shop may be willing to sell a small amount just ran off the machine.
50' of it would go a long way and weight is negligible. longer lengths for a group at a BOL of course - in that instance buying a whole small spool may be consideration.
it does have a slight oily film so for snares/traps requires wipeing off and smokeing over a fire.

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
its not terrible strong. not like bailing wire but it would work. dont get flux core
I should have clarified a bit in my o.p. - mild steel wire is around 42K lb p.s.i. tensile strength
s/s wire is around 60k lb p.s.i. tensile strength. and of course rustproof. no don't get flux-core it would be much too thick to be useful.

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it's much smaller diameter than the tie wire - I was thinking it's very suitable for snares but it's likely strong enough for ties for steel traps though (I've never used it for that)
I have used it to tie shelter poles for crude 'teepee' useing a parachute. but there's really not much strain on that.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
would be real handy for woods/stream survival used to make snares, trot line leaders etc. also lashing and secureing.
For trot line leaders I use fishing leader cable, some barrels and a crimping tool.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts