Survivalist Forum banner

stainless steel cooking bottle?

7K views 30 replies 15 participants last post by  Victemizer 
#1 ·
Here's where I'm at - I have a pack with 2 camelbak .75 bottles strapped to it ( one on each side )

They are plastic, tough plastic but I cannot boil water in em if needed

Someone turned me onto the Klean Kanteen bottles as they are stainless steel w/ a stainless steel cap - perfect for boiling AND water storage

anyone else have a stainless steel water carry/cook option?

I love my camelbak bite valve bottles but I do think I should have some sort of inexpensive stainless steel vessel to boil with inside my pack

#3 · (Edited)
The Klean Kanteen has great reviews from Amazon, I have not yet personally bought them.
I did not realize that the cap was also stainless steel, it looked like plastic to me.
I did see those military style canteens and cups. The canteens look to have a seam in the middle, not sure about that if you intended to boil water in it. The kidney shaped cups though, I think, are not exactly stainless steel. They are some kind of base metal made to look like stainless steel, at least the one in my local army supply store was. (probably made in china)
I was wondering about the feasibility of a tea kettle? They are so efficient at boiling water that it seems it would be an easier way to get drinking water while on the trail. Any thoughts?

Edit: I just read the pdf it does state that you can heat these, and the cups are stainless steel. I was probably just looking at a knock off.

#4 ·
Yea they're designed with heating in mind. That 'rib' along it I believe is where the canteen cup slides up to. I'd really like to see a review video of someone who actually owns one though, I've yet to see such a thing.

A tea kettle would work great, but then you're carrying something that is, well, only good for being a tea kettle. This is why I don't carry frying pans :) -- just use your pot bottom, or the lid... multiple uses for the win!

#5 ·
i also have a kelly kettle but was looking for a stainless bottle to have inside our GHB in the event that it takes an overnight to get home and we get hungry - so far klean kanteens are what im highly considering

those canteens above, while excellent looking, are way too pricey for this application but I thank you for that link

#6 ·
I uses the Wide-mouth 38oz SS Nalgene/Guyot, they are the same diameter as the regular plastic Nalgene bottles (for those like me, that like the nesting cup ability). Anyway, I drilled some tiny holes in the ledge-like rim below the cap and added some rings off a fishing lure to make a spot for a wire handle to lift in/out of the fire. Saw it on a youtube video. Here is a video of another way with no drilling required. Also, I have found the SS keeps your iced liquids colder about 30-50% longer than the plastic. BTW I got mine for $22 a year or so back. But you can find them here for $21-$25 http://www.bepreparedtosurvive.com/WaterContainers.htm#Nalgene%20Backpacker%2032%20oz.

#7 ·
Thanks, I'm probably not going to pack a tea kettle. I was just using it at home and thought about how efficiently it uses the heat. I think I saw somewhere where someone put a hose to the spout end and made a water distiller, but that seems redundant, and if the water is that bad you'd be ruining your kettle.

#15 ·
I got a "40oz Kleen Kanteen Wide w/Stainless Loop Cap - Brushed" delivered to my house today. I got it with the sole intention of boiling water in it. I'll be testing it out one night this week so I know for sure if it can handle it or not before my next backpacking trip. I don't know why, but I have a few minor doubts although they're probably completely unfounded.

#12 ·
I use a 27 oz KK bottle along with a 10 oz titanium cup(1.5oz) and 2L (1oz) Platypus bottle. This setup does everything for me.

Actually I also use the KK bottle as a food container as well. I fill it up with trail mix and that is normaly enough for me to last all day. Sometimes longer. I can eat while I am walking this way. When it gets boring I just make a cup of hot beverage or something with my awesome alcohol stove (1oz)

#17 ·
The KK bottle has somewhat round buttom so I wouldn' t advise you to do it. I Do have another SS bottle that has a square buttom and it works great. However, I just boil water in the titanium cup.

I will take some pictures and post them tommorow.

#24 ·
I got that set. It works really well, and I liked it so much that I bought a couple more as gifts. Its pretty cheap and light too!

And ignore what the website says about using solid fuel, that would just mess up the bottle with the soot. I stuffed a bunch of twigs vertically into it and started the fire at the base, and after awhile it burns cleanly with little soot.

#19 ·
My only issue with the plastic Nalgene bottles is that they shrink. While on an outing I decided to make some oatmeal (a large multi person batch). My brilliant idea was put the oats in the Nalgene, boil water in my pot, pour it in the bottle, and shake. When I pured the water in the bottle started warping and shrinking. I should have taken a pic but I was ticked that I ruined a $10 bottle. This was the reason I swapped to the SS Nalgene/Guyot bottles.

#28 ·
Another 40 oz Kleen Canteen wide mouth here. One of the reasons I like it, is it has the same threads as the nalgene bottles, so I can screw it to my MSR water filter.

The only thing I don't like about it,,, I dropped it while it was full and it dented pretty good. Other than that it is great!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.