Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Left moraknife in car console, maybe a couple months, mostly still shiny but there's some good chunks of rust. I think i can polish it out after knocking rust off. We'll see.

·
High Concept
4,843 Posts
Left moraknife in car console, maybe a couple months, mostly still shiny but there's some good chunks of rust. I think i can polish it out after knocking rust off. We'll see.
Ajax powder will clean everything off.

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,277 Posts
All stainless will rust. I carry a Spyderco Endura clipped to my pocket. Every summer it used to get rust freckles from the sweat. Try CorrosionX. I wiped it down with that years ago and it hasn't rusted again since. Amazing stuff from my various experiences with it.

·
Registered
21,218 Posts
All stainless will rust. I carry a Spyderco Endura clipped to my pocket. Every summer it used to get rust freckles from the sweat. Try CorrosionX. I wiped it down with that years ago and it hasn't rusted again since. Amazing stuff from my various experiences with it.
I think you will struggle to make a Swiss army knife rust.

You could still do it. But you would have to try really hard.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
+1 on the Corrosion X

I treated a buddies shotgun a few years ago that lived in his RV. Over the winter unknown to him the window started leaking on the mattress it was stored under. Several months later the constantly wet shotgun was retrieved. Fortunately the stock had remained dry and only about 1/2-2/3rds of the barrel had been soaked.

Anyway the barrel had one small spot of rust that rubbed off with oil and fine steel wool. I was already impressed with it, but afterwards I think very highly of it!

Oh and it’s stain-less not stain-proof So it still needs care! If you want stain proof look at the Spyerco Salt series!

SD

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts
Steel wool is helpful.

I've been carrying a Spyderco Stretch for years. It's actually a high carbon blade called ZDP-189 (Japanese alloy) but it acts like a stainless. I've never seen a speck of rust on it for the 10 years I've been carrying it.

·
reluctant sinner
16,965 Posts
If you buff it out with a stainless steel polishing compound it will be harder for rust to start on a really smooth surface. Paste wax is a less toxic coating on your final finish.

·
Registered
10 Posts
What MikeK said. Stainless does not mean rustproof. The difference is that stainless will not rust on it's own. Well, It takes a lot. But...if you get rust on SS all bets are off. Believe it or not Coke is a fantastic surface cleaning and rust neutralizer. It won't go deep but if you have something on the surface it'll take it off, which is the key.

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,277 Posts
+1 on the Corrosion X

I treated a buddies shotgun a few years ago that lived in his RV. Over the winter unknown to him the window started leaking on the mattress it was stored under. Several months later the constantly wet shotgun was retrieved. Fortunately the stock had remained dry and only about 1/2-2/3rds of the barrel had been soaked.

Anyway the barrel had one small spot of rust that rubbed off with oil and fine steel wool. I was already impressed with it, but afterwards I think very highly of it!

Oh and it’s stain-less not stain-proof So it still needs care! If you want stain proof look at the Spyerco Salt series!

SD
A similar experience is what sold me on CorrosionX. I was out of town doing a long string of gun shows. When I got back, I had a lot of gardening to catch up on. So it was 5-6 weeks before I even went into my workroom where I did gunsmithing.

Somewhere along the way, the water line to the evaporative cooler had broken and the shop was a wet, steamy mess, like a sauna. Everything inside was rusted. All the machine tools, chisels, checkering tools, and guns that I had apart and waiting for work. Even an SKS had rusted badly through whatever thick spray on coating they use. All except a savage .22 that I had wiped down with CorrosionX. It was absolutely spotless.

Back then I got cases of military CLP for free, so that was the default oil I used for everything in the shop. It did NOT protect from rust well at all.

I had always wished one of my multi line wholesalers would sell CorrosionX so I could offer it at gun shows, but I never managed to find a source other than buying direct, which I won't do for a single product.

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,277 Posts
What MikeK said. Stainless does not mean rustproof. The difference is that stainless will not rust on it's own. Well, It takes a lot. But...if you get rust on SS all bets are off. Believe it or not Coke is a fantastic surface cleaning and rust neutralizer. It won't go deep but if you have something on the surface it'll take it off, which is the key.
Coke contains phosphoric acid. The same stuff in CLR and naval jelly.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I would clean it with a toothpaste and paper towel, and later polish it with steel wool. Are you sure it is Sandvik?

Although if you happen to live by the ocean, the salt in the air, makes even stainless knives rust.

Good to know about the Coke, will try that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts