Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just received my new Yamaha EF2000is generator (SWEET!) and need opinions on how to treat the gas that will be stored in the generator's on board tank. It will stay full of 89 or 93 octane non-ethanol quality gas. The manual calls for 87 octane min but I seem to remember reading that fuel losses it's octane rating over time as the aromatics evaporate, so I'll go with the higher grade to compensate for that.

I've used Stabil before, seems to work ok. I've also used Berryman Chemtool through old lawnmowers and other tools that sit through the winter and it works great as it cleans the entire system.

What should I put in the gas that will be stored in the generator's tank as well as the 5 gallon reserve can? I've noticed in the past Stabil seems to make the tools run kinda rough as it passes through, so I'm not real sure about it..

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,960 Posts
Pri-G for me.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I've been using "Star*Tron" Engine Fuel Treatment for quite a few years...per the label that comes on each bottle..."will stabilize gasoline for up to 2 years"

http://www.starbrite.com

I've heard the "Stabil" product will harden up the seals on your engine/motor...unless you use the boating version...:eek:

·
˙ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsn
821 Posts
Sta-bil is crap. I put some in one gallon of gas for my BRAND new EU2000i Honda. After sitting for 3 months, I had to clean the carb. One month later the same thing.:mad:
Same gallon, added some seafoam, 4 months later (last week) microburst knocked out the power to the hood. After 10 pulls (forgot the choke) it fired up and ran great.

I got some Pri-G and will try after this first gallon finally runs out. Man this Honda just sips gas.:thumb:

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,547 Posts
Pri works better than Stabil. I don't know about the others. I've used Pri exclusively since learning of it. You can also re-treat with Pri.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I've used Stabil in all my stuff and had good luck with it so I have never tried anything else.
With my small engines that have a fuel petcock such as my generator, lawnmower, motorcycles, ATV's I always shut the fuel off with the engine running and let them idle till they run out of fuel which leaves the carb empty and unable to gum up due to fuel sitting in it. Then I add the proper amount of Stabil to whats left in the tank.

On my rigs without a fuel petcock I just add the Stabil and run them long enough to know that treated fuel has circulated through the whole system.
I live in Montana with LONG winter storage seasons and Stabil has always been good to me. I have 2 boats, ATVs, 3 motorcycles, a classic car and truck, lawn mower, weedeater, generators.....all stored for 6-7 months at a time with Stabil and have never had any fuel related problems.

I also use ethanol free fuel in everything we own.....it cost's a few extra cents a gallon but is money well spent to keep that bullsh*t out of my engines.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Pri g i've had 1 year old gas in my gen and still cranks on second pull if when i turn it off i shut the gas and let run until it shuts off

·
Prov 3:18
2,235 Posts
I used sta-bil in a jeep that sat for 2 years,replaced the battery and started first crank.
The way I did it was start with a near empty tank,add sta-bil ,fill tank,then drive it for an hour then park it in the garage.If you dont have the stabilizer in the fuel system it can't protect it from the laquer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I love Sea Foam

sea foam is what I have been using for years. I have used Stabil in tghe past and as advertised it sears out after 2 years or so.

·
˙ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsn
821 Posts
I've used Stabil in all my stuff and had good luck with it so I have never tried anything else.
With my small engines that have a fuel petcock such as my generator, lawnmower, motorcycles, ATV's I always shut the fuel off with the engine running and let them idle till they run out of fuel which leaves the carb empty and unable to gum up due to fuel sitting in it. Then I add the proper amount of Stabil to whats left in the tank.

On my rigs without a fuel petcock I just add the Stabil and run them long enough to know that treated fuel has circulated through the whole system.
I live in Montana with LONG winter storage seasons and Stabil has always been good to me. I have 2 boats, ATVs, 3 motorcycles, a classic car and truck, lawn mower, weedeater, generators.....all stored for 6-7 months at a time with Stabil and have never had any fuel related problems.

I also use ethanol free fuel in everything we own.....it cost's a few extra cents a gallon but is money well spent to keep that bullsh*t out of my engines.
Sucks because we dont have the option of no ethanol, all gas here has it.
Also the stupid Honda generator does not let you run the engine with the fuel off. The off switch is also the fuel off. :mad:

·
Be careful out there
150 Posts
I've used regular Stabil for years, no problems. The last 2 years I've been
using Seafoam with unethanolized gas, again no problems. Recently I found
Stabil Marine in the local Wally world. Seems to come with a decent amount
of recomenditions from another site I frequent. Says right on the bottle that
it's ethanol friendly--- we'll see.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts