Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I’ve been thinking about food storage in a shtf scenario . Not so much the amount of food needed,. Though that is Always a big concern. How to protect it. If food shortages happen, people will do anything to eat. What is the best way to hide food? In your home? Storage unit? I understand best defense is to keep quiet. Loose lips sink ships. If even one person learns the is food at my house , that location would be compromised. You may be able to fend of a few who want to take your supplies, but more will come and inevitably take everything.
If it’s all in the same location, and that location gets compromised, it’s all gone. Should food be divided into several locations? Most people only have one house and neighbors aren’t always trustworthy. Not to mention you may be forced from your house for long durations of time.
Would it be wise to bury, say a weeks worth of canned food, outside in several locations, and just dig it up as needed? I live near many miles of wooded areas, and these areas are very familiar to me.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Start by keeping it a secret. From everyone.

One way to hide your food is to have it not look like food. I have barrels of bin run wheat, corn, soy, oats and buckets of rye and hulled wild rice.

The situation would have to be pretty bad before the average person would see those as food.

A hidden room or compartment in a house could be used. Inside furniture, Between studs in interior walls, Above the basement ceiling or, in the attic, Fill a closet and drywall over the door, Under the floor, Build a false wall at the back of a closet, there are many places to hide stuff in a home that would require taring down the home to find it all. The way it is usually found is if people want easy access to it or get sloppy not closing things up.

If you choose to bury the food make sure you do your research to do it in a way it wont let moisture in.

I am a huge fan of splitting up your stores. If something happens to your home and all your stores are in your home you loose them. If some of you stores are in your home, some in the camper, some in your brothers barn and some in your vehicle if you loose your home you have stores to fall back on.

·
Premium Member
1,015 Posts
Below ground a cooler or 55 gallon barrel works like a root cellar when packed in straw (shown on YouTube).
IMO, it's best to use several locations, but you'll need to check on your supplies periodically given experation dates.

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
15,947 Posts
Mine all got taken out and put in someone else's storage after I had a pipe break. :rofl: Really a preppers worst nightmare.

I had to hide some propane canisters from the insurance adjuster. I was sure they were not allowed in my house, so I found a plastic storage tote and put it in plain sight in the backyard, filled it with the little canisters, and then put random crap on top. He never even looked.

·
democrats = Hydra
6,184 Posts
Mine all got taken out and put in someone else's storage after I had a pipe break. :rofl: Really a preppers worst nightmare.

I had to hide some propane canisters from the insurance adjuster. I was sure they were not allowed in my house, so I found a plastic storage tote and put it in plain sight in the backyard, filled it with the little canisters, and then put random crap on top. He never even looked.
+1

totes and boxes. layer foods on bottom and clothes books etc over. keep in closet, spare room, etc.
if it gets to the point your neighbors are spying on you, any poking around the yard will bring on the jackals so try to avoid that.

take a chance and prowl around telling them you're looking for food also.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Another way to keep your food hidden is to blend in.

If the neighbors are out in the yard picking at ant hills for food you should be seen doing the same thing.

If they are walking a mile to collect stagnate water you should too.

If they are going door to door, you should too.

If all your neighbors are desperate for food/water and you appear to be doing fine they will know you have something they don't and may try to take it from you.

·
BASS
2,095 Posts
I am not able to put "my preps in other places". I have a hard enough time trying to hide my preps for my "non-prepping wife".

If you can do it, do it! There is "no time like the present". It is like closing the barn door after the horse got out.

You need med OTC or prescription get them now. I have and am doing that. I am almost done. OTC will be finished tomorrow.

Stay well everyone, BASS

·
Beer Truck Door Gunner
30,685 Posts
Always remember that your food must be kept in climate controlled conditions.

35F to 75F are the extreme ends. 50F is your target.

Burying food is highly problematic on several fronts.

Reactions: Wolf5 and Sailorsam

·
Museum Piece
312 Posts
Here we are in earthquake country. We have 26 homer buckets full of food. Mrs Wire comes form the tropics and they can not store food there. Here she has an over flowing pantry. The bottom shelf has 3 5olb bags of rice on it. She will never be without.

·
BASS
2,095 Posts
I have a small ranch house. I have limited space to store things. I am having a hard time finding places to hide food from my wife. She is a PROBLEM. She doesn't support prepping and I know "she is snooping when I am out. She probably found much of the food I have stashed. SHTF and food was scarce she would give out food to anyone knocking on the door. Probably to the point we didn't have food for ourselves. SHE IS THEN OUT..........:mad: Yes...., I could throw her out if she continued after I told her to STOP! :mad: We cannot feed the neighborhood. They all have enough money to stock for their families.

My help ends at the door when SHTF and people didn't help themselves. I do have a list of neighbors I will help. One is elderly and I will take care of her. :)

I know I am a bad man.... TFB

Start by keeping it a secret. From everyone.

One way to hide your food is to have it not look like food. I have barrels of bin run wheat, corn, soy, oats and buckets of rye and hulled wild rice.

The situation would have to be pretty bad before the average person would see those as food.

A hidden room or compartment in a house could be used. Inside furniture, Between studs in interior walls, Above the basement ceiling or, in the attic, Fill a closet and drywall over the door, Under the floor, Build a false wall at the back of a closet, there are many places to hide stuff in a home that would require taring down the home to find it all. The way it is usually found is if people want easy access to it or get sloppy not closing things up.

If you choose to bury the food make sure you do your research to do it in a way it wont let moisture in.

I am a huge fan of splitting up your stores. If something happens to your home and all your stores are in your home you loose them. If some of you stores are in your home, some in the camper, some in your brothers barn and some in your vehicle if you loose your home you have stores to fall back on.

·
Beer Truck Door Gunner
30,685 Posts
I am having a hard time finding places to hide food from my wife.
At this point you have to make a choice.

Unless you can get her on board then you have to choose between prepping and marriage to her.

There is no realistic way to prep when someone allowed all over the home is against prepping.

All you are doing now wasting money on things you can't trust to be there when you need them while engaging in marriage dishonesty.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
I have a small ranch house. I have limited space to store things. I am having a hard time finding places to hide food from my wife. She is a PROBLEM. She doesn't support prepping and I know "she is snooping when I am out. She probably found much of the food I have stashed. SHTF and food was scarce she would give out food to anyone knocking on the door. Probably to the point we didn't have food for ourselves. SHE IS THEN OUT..........:mad: Yes...., I could throw her out if she continued after I told her to STOP! :mad: We cannot feed the neighborhood. They all have enough money to stock for their families.

My help ends at the door when SHTF and people didn't help themselves. I do have a list of neighbors I will help. One is elderly and I will take care of her. :)

I know I am a bad man.... TFB
Maybe you need to "accidentally" trip fall in your house and "accidentally" break the drywall on an interior wall bad enough that it can't simply be patched but the entire sheet of drywall needs to be replace.

Replace the Sheetrock while she is gone, fill the space between the studs full of canned goods and lts packed dry goods then cover it up with Sheetrock. From there, tape, mud and paint.

Sheetrock is about $10,
small bucket of mud is $3
tape is $2,
gallon of paint is$20
Add in another $10 for Sheetrock knife and a paint roller
And for $50 you built an extremely hidden, dry, climate controlled, 20 cubic feet of food storage space that your wife will never find.

Or start showing her photos of supermarkets and lines to buy things in Hawaii over fears of coronavirus. That may get her thinking that an extra tote or two of canned goods and rice are a good idea.

·
Registered
12,651 Posts
I created a safe room not even my brother who knows my home could find it.
What is your investment worth more than your life or the of your family?
If some one breaks into your home while you are gone what can they find?
There are lots of example s of false walls and stairways used for hiding things it's being creative and purposeful in your preparedness.
If what you store for food in buckets even canned food , you can move it more efficiently in an emergency should it be necessary to bug out. IN some cases handling a hand truck(dolly) might be better than carrying it by hand. If i had the money I would invest in the square buckets , they store better. another thing you can do to add to their function and put a vacuum on them using a piece of tape and your vacuum cleaner .

·
Storyteller
1,898 Posts
There are a lot of 'wasted space' places to store food

Your bed is a good place to start (under it)

·
Beer Truck Door Gunner
30,685 Posts
There are a lot of 'wasted space' places to store food
As long as you don't have a family problem with prepping there is a lot that can be done.

Lots of wasted space in and under furniture.

Most main bedroom hallway walls aren't filled with pipes or wires. Perfect for shallow flush cabinets that are a normal can size or gallon mylar bag deep. Your house hallway becomes one long shallow larder.

Most kitchen have a drop soffit of mostly a foot down to the top of your installed kitchen cabinets that can be renovated to add a lot of out of reach kitchen storage space.

If your duct work is in your attic then you can install a plywood structure up there, line with heavy foam board, and run a flex duct from one of the duct junctions. Everything is available at the home center for DIY. A climate controlled cubby that no one will see walking around the house.

Bedroom closet organizers have insanely fancy and efficient now.

Children of the same sex can live in one bedroom. Entire families slept in one bed a bit more than a century ago in America. Children today can easily feel entitled to "personal space" these days. It's one thing to give them metaphorical space, but they aren't making mortgage payments, so the physical space is all yours, not theirs.

Those of you with real basements, try to keep your laughter to a minimum. This is a real issue for some.

But if you have prepping resister or defector living in your home, you don't have a space problem.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have a resistant mother who doesn’t want to hear about any of that foolishness. She has the classic ostrich head in the sand mentality. I worry about her donating food to neighbors or kids that come around hungry. Because I know no matter what she donates it will never b enough. If you feed them, they will come back for more until it’s gone. Then I’ll be starving and begging right along with them

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Dam. I really wish I could just burry several caches in the wooded areas around my house. I know the area well. I know I could survive if I could garantee food. It would b nearly impossible to keep a lot of food at my house. I don’t like the idea of having to hunker down and defend my stash against every other starving desperate person.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts