Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a good diagram I can have printed and laminated which explains in good picture detail how to skin a squirrel. That way someone like me or someone in my family can do it even if they've never done so before.

·
Live Free or Die
3,862 Posts
JMO, YMMV, do not skin the squirrel. The skin provides needed fats. Cook the squirrel directly on the coals so as to burn the fur off. The skin will get nice and crispy if done right. I plan to try this on rabbits next, but haven't had time lately.

Should go without saying, but you still gut the critter.

·
Curmudgeon
1,744 Posts
I stretch them out, then while holding the back legs in my hand, fold the tail forward with my index finger. I make a small cut between the tail and the anus, and continue until about 1/2" to 3/4" of skin and tail are free. Still holding the hind legs, spin the tail 2 or 3 times to tighten the skin and then place the tail under your foot. Firmly, but with care, pull up on the hind legs (I use both hands). The skin will pull off all the way down to the head and paw tips, which I cut off and discard. Where the skin split on the belly, use your knife blade to scrape up the skin on the belly (there should be a point where the skin separated) and pull it backwards. Cut off the rear legs and discard.

It took me longer to type that out then it does to do it.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Having flashbacks as we speak of hunting squirrels as a youth. Never came across anything more difficult to skin than a squirrel. Yes, rabbit stink much worse, but far easier to skin and gut.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I stretch them out, then while holding the back legs in my hand, fold the tail forward with my index finger. I make a small cut between the tail and the anus, and continue until about 1/2" to 3/4" of skin and tail are free. Still holding the hind legs, spin the tail 2 or 3 times to tighten the skin and then place the tail under your foot. Firmly, but with care, pull up on the hind legs (I use both hands). The skin will pull off all the way down to the head and paw tips, which I cut off and discard. Where the skin split on the belly, use your knife blade to scrape up the skin on the belly (there should be a point where the skin separated) and pull it backwards. Cut off the rear legs and discard.

It took me longer to type that out then it does to do it.
That's how I do it makes it dang easy:thumb:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts