Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently been hunting squirrel and have tried two ways of cooking them, fried and grilled, both are pretty good, just like chicken but what i really want to know more about is preserving their pelts
I have the basic idea of what you do but just want to make sure im not missing any steps
here are the steps i did
1. Cut the pelt to spread out completely
2. clean off any left over fat or meat
3. Sprinkle a good layer of salt on the inside
4. Set the pelt in a sunny place to dry for two days

now after i let it set for two days, actually two and a half, i took it down which was today and soaked it in warm salty water, that pretty much brought it back to life, so i worked the inside over my rail to soften it out some and then scraped off some more fat and crap, then re salted it and i am leaving it out for the rest of the week
So am i doing it rite?
I welcome any suggestions or tips

What i plan on making out of the pelt is either a pouch for holding stuff or a shotshell holster

I also welcome suggestions for what to make out of it too

·
Registered
687 Posts
That should relatively preserve it, but unless you want a hard pouch, you'll need to tan it. You can do it yourself, and books abound on the internet and you can find kits at places like cabela's. The main thing is making sure the hide is completely fleshed. (no meat/fat)

For fleshing hides I prefer a powerwasher, worked great on my alligator.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
okay, yea i would tan it but i dont want to pouch too soft, i can just work it skin side down over an edge like my rail and it should come soft enough, but wow that gator musta been hard

1 - 3 of 3 Posts