Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
One decade later...
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a predicament while hunting squirrels with a shotgun sometimes. Today

I shot this squirrel, perfect shot, but the scatter turned this into a gut shot.

Yesterday, I aimed about 2 inches in front of the nose to avoid a gut shot,

but unfortunately the spread did not hit him/her. I am guessing I should

pattern my gun, but would it maybe be smart to use a turkey choke and aim

for the nose? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

p.s. I cannot use a .22 rifle or any type of rifle at that, because of the fact

that there are houses and what not some-what close by. Last thing I need

is a law suit because some one got there house hit by a 22 bullet. :taped:

·
Happiness is 2 at low 8
1,403 Posts
Use a lighter load (7/8 oz of shot instead of 1 1/2 oz of shot) OR instead of a tighter choke, go with a more open choke. The idea is that you want less of the shot to hit the squirrel so it destroys less of the animal. With a turkey choke, if you hit the squirrel squarely there won't be anything left but patches of fur.

The lighter shot loads may be more difficult to find and may even cost you a bit more. Another way to go is to shoot smaller shot, number 8's instead of 6's. Each pellet will penetrate less and therefore do less damage.

Allan

·
Traveler
229 Posts
If I couldn't use a .22, I would invest in a good high-power air rifle. I stopped using shotguns years ago for small game. All it took was a good bite down into a rabbit one night. One of my teeth met the fate of a piece of shot still in the meat and that was all for me. Tack on a hefty dental bill to fix the broken tooth, and I decided it is a .22 or nothing from now on. Should of made my uncle pay for my dental visit since he assured me all the shot was gone. However, he wouldn't "bite" on that idea.....LOL

·
Behind Enemy Lines
776 Posts
I vote air rifle.
I hunt with it whenever I'm home from college. Actually when I wake up, I'm going hunting with my air rifle in the backyard. Heh.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I picked up a Gamo silver shadow supreme off Craigs List and it shoot flat up to 30 Yds. Has worked well for Tree Rats and only cost $120.00 used

·
Registered
215 Posts
Shotgun works okay, do not shoot from too close, or use more open choke. 22lr. is better, but a 177 air rifle is nearly as good and much quieter. If food gets scarce, being able to take game quietly is going to be a valuable asset.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I like 1-1/4 oz. 12-gauge slugs. Saves you from picking all that shot out of the squirrel. In fact, once you find the empty squirrel pelt with a big .729-inch hole through it, the meat is usually lying somewhere nearby in one piece, already gutted and filleted... :D:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts