Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Scarred for life...
3,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine recently sold me a Springfield Model 1903 rifle. Basically he gave it to me when I asked him about it.

The rifle was in a fire and not immediately recovered after the fire and is very rusty. The wood is gone and the barrel is extremely rusted.

The receiver and most of the other metal parts are in much better condition but I am not an expert and I don't know if it could even be made to fire again.

I have entertained the idea of putting a new barrel on it and heat treating the metal to make sure it could still stand up to being fired but funds have kept me from doing anything but think about it so far.

Is it even worth it to rebuild this rifle or should I just use it as a conversation piece and nothing more?

·
I travel light
2,018 Posts
Hi there countryboy. I don´t encourage using this rifle. There is a special treatment called "heat treating" in many parts of the gun, as far as I know. This induces micro-structural changes in the material that you can´t see with the naked eye, but a special polishing and a special metallurgist microscope. This changes depends on the level of heat absorbed by the metal and can severeley affect the strenght of the material. You could ask Kev, he knows welding processess and could guide you. Please feel free to ask by PM me if need more help and want to learn about the details ok?.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts