·
Ding... Thanks for playin
4,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Springfield Armory XD Pistols: Serious Defensive Plastic for Serious Use
Posted on Thursday, September 15 @ 07:56:16 PDT by davidc

by David Crane
[email protected]

Springfield Armory XD pistols receiving some pretty high praise by professionals in the tactical and competitive shooting arenas, lately. Rob Leatham, world-class competitive shooter and Springfield Armory spokesman, is a obviously a big proponent of them, of course. He's also an ideal demonstrator for the XD pistols' performance capabilities, since he's an IPSC Grandmaster shooter and arguably the best competitive pistol shooter in the world, at present. DefenseReview has also spoken with a number of other experienced "gun people" about the XD.

One of these people is John Weisman, author of the best-selling thriller, Direct Action. When I spoke with John on the phone, recently, he mentioned that he really likes the Springfield Armory XD. John's personal XD is chambered in .40 S&W. Subsequent to that initial phone conversation, Weisman informed DefRev that...

he appreciates the Springfield XD's design, light weight, and durability, and actually prefers the XD to the Glock due to the XD's grip safety (just like Weisman's 1911s) and what he feels is a superior trigger action to the Glock's trigger. Regarding the XD's grip ergonomics, Weisman had this to say, "I think [it is] friendlier than most--and designed so that the hand is led to grip the pistol high up, which assures stability." Weisman told us that he'll use his Springfield XD pistol (.40 S&W) as a home-defense weapon and IDPA gun.

With the introduction of the Springfield Armory X-TREME (XD) .45 GAP pistols in 4-inch and 5-inch-barreled versions, the .45 GAP cartridge might just have some staying power. We'll see. The .45 GAP is interesting in that it appears to offer ballistic performance (terminal ballistics) equal to the .45 ACP, in a shorter-length envelope. Because the .45 GAP cartridge is shorter, it can be housed in and fired from a 9mm/.40 S&W-sized pistol, giving the shooter true .45 ACP performance from a more compact, thinner, and lighter pistol that can be carried more easily on the hip.

The .45 GAP is also easy to handle, as I initially found out at SWAT Round-Up International 2003, when I put a Glock 37 (G37) through it's paces at the Orange County Sheriff's Office (OCSO) range (Orlando, FL). At a range of 10-15 yards, rapid fire, all rounds went right where I wanted to put them on a man-size target. I remember being surprised at just how easy to control the G37/.45 GAP combo was during fast strings, considering the 9mm/.40 S&W-like size and weight of the pistol. Basically, I was pretty impressed with the package.

DefRev hasn't Tried the Springfield Armory XD .45 GAP pistols yet, but we look forward to testing both the 4-inch and 5-inch versions, at some point. Here are the specs on the two versions:

XD9504 Black, XD9514 OD Green, and XD9524 Bi-Tone (4" models):

Caliber: .45 GAP
Capacity: 9 + 1
Barrel: 4.05"
Sights: Dovetail front & rear (steel)
Size: 27 ozs., 7" overall length
Trigger Pull: 5.5 to 7.7 lbs. Ultra Safety Assurance (USATM) action trigger system
Magazines: 2 Stainless Steel 9 rd., easy glide magazines
MSRP: XD9504 $514 XD9514 $514 XD9524 $542

XD9505 Black, XD9515 OD Green, and XD9525 Bi-Tone (5" models):

Caliber: .45 GAP
Capacity: 9+1
Barrel: 5.01"
Sights: Dovetail front & rear (steel)
Size: 31 ozs., 8" overall length
Trigger Pull: 5.5 to 7.7 lbs. Ultra Safety Assurance (USATM) action trigger system
Magazines: 2 Stainless Steel 9 rd., easy glide magazines
MSRP: XD9505 $542 XD9515 $542 XD9525 $571

If you'd like to get more info on the X-TREME (XD) series pistols, you can contact Springfield Armory at 309-944-5631, or toll free at 800-680-6866. You can also email them at [email protected].

·
Ding... Thanks for playin
4,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just a good pistol...

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
I had the XD.45 it was a good range gun or truck gun, but as a carry it was too bulky imo.

Things I liked;
-capacity, expecially for the .45 ACP.
-grip, the standard 4" has a long grip but its the most comfy i've found.
-Dosent feel like a toy.
-Less precieved recoil, but has ALOT of muzzel flip due to heavy slide.
-Super easy and fast to field strip(but then again most are).

Things I dislike;
-heavy slide, harder to point.
-plastic rear frame rails.
-expinsive mags
-extractor easy to break(weak point in most pistols).
-holsters and other accessories hard to find in the .45 ACP version.
-fairly expinsive, there are plenty better choices in that price range.
-guide rod had problems in the eirly models.
-corrosion problems with the eirly models.
-too may "bells" on it, more things to break.
-if fairly feniky with cheep ammo or re-loads.
-+P & +P+ are a NO NO.
-trigger could use work, alot of slack.

Over all its an OK gun, but was over engineered imho. The gun feels solid, maby too solid. The XD seems to be very reliable in the.45 ACP version, just a bit too big for my tasts.

·
Proud American
533 Posts
one of the reasons why i also bought the xd over the glock was the grip safety. also thought it was better looking.
i also didn't want a gun with a safety switch, i'd be afraid that if i really have to use it for a self defense situation. i might forget to flick the safety switch.

i plan on getting a subcompact sometime soon. right now i have a service model with some aftermarket extras on it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts