Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Destroyer of Ignorance
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a GI 1911 from Springfield Armory. I know that they generally make a nice product but I was curious if anyone has one and how they like it. The GI model is like the original ... later models were modified slightly for various reasons. I think I'm gonna buy it even if I end up getting a newer, higher end 1911 later on. Oh yeah ... it's cheap, like $500 cheap.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I've got a Springfield GI. I love it. It has stovepiped a couple of times on wolf ammo. Maybe 3 or 4 times. Other than that, It has been great.

·
Registered
9,327 Posts
I have a GI in stainless. While the sights are minimal, mine were dead on right out of the box. The ejection port isn't lowered so it dents the case mouth as it ejects spent brass. A PITA if you reload but not a big deal if you don't.

The Springfields are not totally GI, more retro, the firing pin is made from titanium and the barrel is throated. I believe the newer ones come with a plastic rather than steel mainspring housing. Minor stuff. The throated barrel is a nice touch tho...

If the web of your hand is fleshy the long hammer spur coupled with the short grip safety tang will give you hammer rash/bite. Thats where a bit of skin gets pinched between the spur and tang when the pistol cycles.

For about 50.00 more you can get the Mil Spec. which has better sights and lowered ejection port. Either one is a good entry level 1911.

Peter

·
Inglourious Basterd
2,966 Posts
Yes I agree ,pay the extra $100 bucks for the Mil-Spec model. The larger lowered, flared ejection port will kick out spent rounds better, also the Mil Spec has a polished feed ramp and a few other upgrades over the G.I. model. If you go ahead and buy the Mil Spec , you will not need a high end 1911. I payed $650 for a stainless Mil Spec and $1200 for a Kimber custom TLE II w/night sights and crimson laser grips. I have seen no better quality in the kimber over the Mil Spec . You will just be paying for the name- Kimber, Colt , Night Hawk , IMO. Upgrades like skeletonize triggers and hammers are pleasant to look at but really all they do is add cost to the gun.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
I've got the Springfield G.I. it performs well and I have never had a problem with it.But don't let the name fool you.It says springfield, but look under the barrel on the frame.The GI models are made by imbel in brazil.

Reactions: danpauselius

·
Registered
9,327 Posts
JRNC26
You are 100% right....the GI's and the Mil Spec. are made in Brazil, At first I looked at that as a negative, I'd have rather have seen them made in the US myself.

I think the reason Springfield went with Imbel was to keep the cost down while keeping quality at a respectable level. Imbel does a good job of making them to the Springfields specifications.

I also have a Mil Spec in stainless, for 500.00 the price was right and I couldn't see passing it up and kicking myself later...
Peter

·
Be Prepared
446 Posts
As far as I know it is only the frames that are made in Brazil. Everything else is made and assembled in the U.S. Springfield is a top-notch company and their customer service/warranty is outstanding.

I haven't checked lately, but for a little more you could probably get one of their "loaded" series pistols and not have to touch a single thing. I got one new with night sights for about $650 a few years ago. I'm sure they've gone up a bit, but it might be worth it to shop around a bit to check.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Personally, I'd forget getting a low-end Springfield and get the Taurus PT1911. It is the same 1911 gun platfrom, but you get many custom features for half the price you would get a similar Springfield or Kimber. I have one and love it. I paid $570 + tax. You are paying for the name Springfield. They are made in Brazil just like our buddy the Taurus.

FYI Taurus PT1911's are on a much higher quality scale then the rest of their guns. If you are going to buy a brazillan gun, buy it for half the price.

I've shot 200 rounds through in the last month. No jams, FTF, etc. I don't even disassemble to clean the gun.

·
ole punk from podunk
158 Posts
i've had my springfield loaded champion for a while now. good gun. to date i've put about 2-300 rnds through it, i've had 2 failures to return to battery, but was my fault. i limp wristed for some reason??? the loaded models come with $300 of extra stuff you would have to pay to get it to that point if you were to buy a plain one. yes the frames are made in brazil, but are assembled in geneso ill. the only complaint i've ever seen/heard is about the really low profile sights. but you would get used to em i'd say. its my first handgun, an i'm just now gettin pretty decent at doubletap/ controled pairs at 20 yards. but i'm mostly going for combat accuracy, at 20yds i can get 2 into center mass with about a 2-2 1/2 group, if you would call 2 rds a group...lol. mine is the commander length 4 inch barrel. but overall if you have the money, then yeah, get the loaded model. unless you get just a bad gun from em from the start, overall you will like it i'd say. thanks...pk

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've had my Springfield Mil-Spec for 5 years now. Probably shot a house full of 45's through it and it just keeps on ticking away. I'll never part with it evn though I now have a newer FNP-45 also.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just picked up an SA 1911 A1 "Loaded" two weeks ago, and have shot 300 rounds without a hitch. This gun is a true workhorse. Really steady recoil makes it easy to stay on target. The new ones are featuring match grade barrels and triggers, Trijicon Night Sights and cocobola wood grips - nice upgrades for right out of the box. I paid $800 for the parkerized version. I really can't say enough about how happy I am with this weapon. My wife shot it yesterday, and finally admitted to having a severe case of gun envy. Definitely worth consideration.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts