Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trolling the gun shops around town. I had an eye out for an old SS 22.lr to relive those younger years of my life. Blasting away a single shot duce duce on the old farm.

I found a springfield 120a bolt action, single shot 22lr at a local gun store for $99.

Not sure of the year. But for looking around it is old. It doesn't have a serial # on the metal (but there is one on the stock for legal reasons) So I thinks it's pre 1980's for sure. Also found out that the rifle is also a savage arms rifle. As either the design or a factory or something was sold to savage. Then savage took over production of the 120A.

Anyway, Does anyone here have one or owned one in the past that can give me some insite as to the quality of this rifle? (I.E. REVIEW)

·
Registered
80 Posts
I hope this isn't considered a necro post, but if the OP is still looking for info, I have some legitimate answers.

I've got a Savage 120A that was given to my dad when he was a kid. Springfield, yadda yadda, you've looked it over. Most of the ammo I've shot through it shot quite a bit high with irons, so I recommend practicing with the gun to learn where to hold. Also, try lots of different ammo. I had a cheapo scope mounted on it for quite a while, and got about quarter sized groupings until I tried 40gr Federal Game-Shok. What a difference! Dime size groupings. Can't guarantee your gun will like the same stuff. Other than the sights, the trigger is far from match grade. I found mine to be very, very inconsistent, with lots of creep and varying amounts of pressure to break. Practice fundamentals, and you'll be ok. There's not too many problems shooting "Minute-Of-Squirrel" at 25 yards, if you know where to hold. The simplicity is nice, and I also like the knurled screw that holds the action into the stock. Since it's only .22, you can get away with hand-tight, and this lets you take the gun down for storage in a pack or in a car, or whatever you need to be doing. Overall, for the price, it's a great cheap little beater rifle. I would call it the "Mosin of .22's." These are fun guns when you get around their short comings!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts