Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Looks to me like you could easily modify your own treble with some wire or even a pen spring for something similar and at no great expense to you.

·
OTP Rebel
997 Posts
I used them in the '70's for doughballs and bread for the canal carp. They work fine for that purpose . Thin wire added to the hooks work too,sometimes better . So will a piece of string or fishing line to literally tie it on.

·
Certified Organic Grower
4,969 Posts
Great for cheeses and dough bait. Works well when you need to fire one off deep using a soft bait.

I use sizes 10-18 (gold colored), depending on the fish I'm after.

Works very well holding blood-bait for eternity...

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
For catfish or Carp get the larger sizes. They will do a excellent job of holding bread or dough bait on. For trout if using nibblets I would get the very small sizes that are simular in size to the nibblets.

·
Freedom isn't free.
6,203 Posts
I tried them for carp and I didn't like them. I found that the bread doughballs that I was using where stuck on so well that they wouldn't tear off on the hookset and as a result the hook point wasn't presented for a good hook set.

Maybe I just made my doughballs too dry for that type of hook?

·
Certified Organic Grower
4,969 Posts
Sometimes I like to roll a very small ball of dough/cheese...just enough to cover all of the spring treble hook except the barbs.
I attach a salmon egg to each barb, and gently press down to set.

The dough/cheese attracts the fish, and the salmon egg rips off easily to set the hook.
A bloodbait dough with salmon egg set up works great on cats...

·
Spectre
595 Posts
I have tried these out a few times and have had poor results. I am not saying that they dont work, I just have had zero bites. I am an avid carp/cat fisherman and I have tried a TON of differant baits/rigs in my life.
I actually just purchased some tiny treble spring combos matched up with secret 7, homemade dough balls, and some local stink bait (cat recall the name). I had a boring night of fishing and didnt get a single bite. I can make excuses up the wazoo on why I couldnt catch a fish but thats hear and there lol.
I would like to point out that the area you are fishing can be the differance between guppies and whales. On that note anything I say is based on my area :)
I have amazing sucess with a 5/0 team catfish circle hook followed by a foot and a half of leader line, swivel, 3oz. river sinker and thats it for rig. As far as bait I use a whole chicken liver and I use a night crawler or leech as a buffer to keep the liver from falling off.
Oh yeah it is a pain in the butt to clean those springs out after a night of fishing. My last trip with the secret 7 resulted in me cutting the treble's off and pitching them. Stinky :(

·
Registered
18 Posts
i've used these during trout season #10 with dough bait (berkley powerbait for trout). also for catfishing with stink bait. they really do help keep the bait on the hook. what i do to clean em is just to keep slingin em into the water til the bait flies off. i've had really good luck with them and will keep using them.

·
Banned
231 Posts
I use the ones with springs one them too if im using stink bait. I generally use cut skip jack night crawlers coated with wd 40 or chicken livers though. I use trebles with the crawlers and tru turns or circle hooks with the livers and skip jack.

I only use stink bait on channels when im trying to catch a mess of fryers 3 to 5 lb range.

Where im from you dont pay attention to a cat thats under 30 lbs.. Thats just a baby.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts