Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Forum Administrator
16,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys and gals, springtime is almost upon us. Before we know it the weather will be warm enough to go hiking, fishing, camping... etc.

Some people do that kind of stuff year round, so its no big deal to them.

I am working on getting the legs active after having to stay inside from this unusually wet and cold winter.

Dome of the dogwood trees here in southeast Texas are starting to bloom.

Late March is when my hiking season usually kicks off. I need to shed some of these winter pound before now and before my first real hiking trip.

·
Forward, into the fray!
3,681 Posts
Right now, as I speak, it's February and -2 degrees at 11:00 in the morning. No spring for me. Still the dead of winter. I'll talk spring with you come April. But thank you. I appreciate the sentiment.

·
Banned
17,612 Posts
Red oaks are starting to pollenate, mayhaws and parsley haws and other hawthornes are in full bloom. Starting to see saucer magnolias open their flowers. Haven't seen redbuds yet but surely in the next week or two.

Cute puppy, his name fits!

·
Registered
356 Posts
I cannot wait. Almost 40 here, yesterday, and rain. Now it is 25 and dropping, and flooding, with ice everywhere, water over alot of the roads, creeks and rivers are damming up with ice, and water running where it's not suppose to be. Spring can't come soon enough.

·
Grass Lives Matter
1,010 Posts
We get two seasons, 1) humid hot and 2) somewhat comfortable

Go away, Summer.

Most people tend to hide in the AC for next 8 months, here.

·
I ain't doing that!!
6,511 Posts
Dude, it was in the 60-70s last 2 days around here. Today I think the high was 25 but the WC made it -40, I'm sure. Only time I went outside was to make sure the hens' waterer wasn't frozen and take the dogs out -- and they didn't wanna be out in that wind any more than I did.

I can hardly wait until Friday when it gets in the 50s again!

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
15,591 Posts
Winter here was pretty mild. Couple of cold nights with in the teens and single digits, but most nights have been in the 20s and 30s.

I've been hiking around all winter since I can see (the trees and brush have lost their leaves) and most of the ticks are still underground.

Spring is time for fishing, and getting started building the house.

Kev, I've got plenty of work for you if you need the exercise.

·
Forum Administrator
16,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dude, it was in the 60-70s last 2 days around here. Today I think the high was 25 but the WC made it -40, I'm sure. Only time I went outside was to make sure the hens' waterer wasn't frozen and take the dogs out -- and they didn't wanna be out in that wind any more than I did.

I can hardly wait until Friday when it gets in the 50s again!
News is reporting Denver dropped 72 degrees in 40 hours.

·
I ain't doing that!!
6,511 Posts
News is reporting Denver dropped 72 degrees in 40 hours.
I saw that. A few years back we had an about 100 degree swing in 24 hours. Oklahoma weather is nothing if not entertaining. Lol

In all honesty I believe the weather patterns are shifting. Overall, the weather here is milder (more like what I would associate with southern New Mexico) than it was when I was a kid.

Four season gardening is, I believe, completely doable here, without too much effort at all. I guess I'm gonna try out my theory this year. My raised beds are ready to be filled with horse poo and dirt from Kennard's and Minnick's. Next week, I hope. I really ought to try to post some pics when I get them filled and my carrots and spinach sown.

Help your SB friends compete in the SB Survivor game with your vote by Feb. 22!
http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...d.php?t=834234

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
It was -12F at 7:30 this morning, admittedly warmer than it has been, but I think it is pretty early to be gearing up for spring type activities in my neck of the woods... Not looking forward to the 14 to 18 inches of snow coming this weekend to sit atop the hard frozen 10 inches we have on the ground now.

Better than the 60 inches on the ground that my friends 90 miles to the north are dealing with though. It has been a rather mild winter this year but it will still be winter here for a while yet...

·
Deo iuvante
4,977 Posts
We had a mild winter and then it was getting pretty warm. About a week ago we put seeds in the planters and had our garden starts outside - 60+ degrees out. Now it's 14 degrees with snow on the ground.

·
Survivor
3,525 Posts
Talked to a friend in the Hill Country earlier today and it was sleeting! They were not happy about it.
The fluctuating extremes will play hell with the planting season and the norms fruit bearing trees require! So good luck and prepare!

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
This coming week it looks like we will be getting close to freezing almost every day. I think we will pull the shack of the lake this weekend before it gets too warm and then set it up for boiling maple syrup and hopefully tap trees early next week.

·
I have control issues
5,912 Posts
Will be "on furlough" (i.e. temporarily unemployed) for at LEAST the first half of March, so will be working on getting my "exercise" by working on some of the construction projects (animal/poultry housing, and maybe greenhouses) weeding, prepping, and planting the garden, and hopefully getting the aquaponics system set up.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Eighty degrees today and my shade trees are starting to leaf out. Eleven PM and I just got back from a night ride on one of my bikes. Seventy miles per hour and I was in a T-shirt and shorts.

·
Registered
34,315 Posts
Talked to a friend in the Hill Country earlier today and it was sleeting! They were not happy about it.
Has been here all day (I'm further north)

But a couple weeks ago when it was 60 I added composted cow manure and turned it and wood ashes into the raised beds.

Put out my potted peach pits (apparently they grow 90% true to type) today hoping the freezing rain will help crack the shells (I'm dithering on doing it myself.)

And I'll probably build some shelves in front my west facing windows (none south or east as this was not intended to be living quarters) tomorrow to put some future seedlings on.

Might not be enough sun, but warmth and water can't hurt.

Not here, but it's coming.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts