Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Noman
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my rifle to the range this weekend to test a couple different types of ammo. I shot Lake City XM193 55gr, and M855 Ball 62gr. I was satisfied with the results. I zeroed my rifle at 25 meters to be on target at 300 meters. I know going in that at 100 yards my shots would be high so I adjusted my point of aim to compensate for that. In my opinion the 25 meter zero is a great all around zero. It gives you the ability to hit a man sized target with relative ease.

I know that this rifle is way more accurate than I am. I need to work on my breathing and trigger squeeze and I am sure these groups will tighten up even more. If I were to use some match ammo...even more still. All things considered I am confident I can hit my target up to 300 meters. Here are the results. I got my best groups using the heavier 62gr ammo (which I expected) a 1:7 barrel like them better.

·
Opinionated old fart.
8,046 Posts
Before you invest in a scope, upgrade your trigger to a RRA 2-stage.

Download the "rifleman or cook" target to simulate 300 yard shots, and you will know what's next for you. Don't underestimate the value of a good sling.

·
Registered
450 Posts

Download the "rifleman or cook" target to simulate 300 yard shots, and you will know what's next for you. Don't underestimate the value of a good sling.
RRA 2 stage triggers are notorious for losing the second stage and breaking hammers. Geissele is a much better alternative.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I took my rifle to the range this weekend to test a couple different types of ammo. I shot Lake City XM193 55gr, and M855 Ball 62gr. I was satisfied with the results. I zeroed my rifle at 25 meters to be on target at 300 meters. I know going in that at 100 yards my shots would be high so I adjusted my point of aim to compensate for that. In my opinion the 25 meter zero is a great all around zero. It gives you the ability to hit a man sized target with relative ease.

I know that this rifle is way more accurate than I am. I need to work on my breathing and trigger squeeze and I am sure these groups will tighten up even more. If I were to use some match ammo...even more still. All things considered I am confident I can hit my target up to 300 meters. Here are the results. I got my best groups using the heavier 62gr ammo (which I expected) a 1:7 barrel like them better.

25yd sight-in isn't a 300yd BZO. 36yd sight-in is a 300yd BZO. 25yd sight-in is 260yd BZO. With a 260yd BZO using 55gr fmj. Bullet rise and drop are easy to keep straight out to 300yds. 100yd is 2.9in high, 200yd is 3.0in high and 300 is 2.5in low. Easy to keep range with everything very close to the 3in high or low to zero. 300yd BZO is all over the place. At 100yd it's 3.8in high, 200yd is 4.7 high and 300yd is zero.

·
Registered
100 Posts

where can you download the rifleman and what would you consider a good sling?

I plan to purchase a Savvy Sniper Sling for my AR.. opinions?

·
American fearmaker
14,246 Posts
Finish breaking in your rifle before you start going for accuracy. Breaking in means putting about 500 rounds, sometimes more and sometimes less, through your rifle to get all the parts to properly mesh together and to help develop accuracy. Once you have broken in the rifle, then consider what you want to do with the rifle. For general police duty a good red dot, with practice, will allow you to make body shots from 0 to 300 meters with no problems. Mounting a scope on your rifle will allow you to have a precision instrument for head shots when needed such as in law enforcement. If you have access to a tactical school near you, talk to some of the cadre as to what they suggest and for you to test out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts