Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Hey ya'll, watch this....
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings. Just a quick question/poll.

The wife and I spent 3 weeks in the woods last month in Western Virginia; Blue Ridge Mountains area. We are very experienced outdoor enthusiasts and take several camping trips yearly.

Last month, though, we were literally swarmed by spiders; mostly Wolf Spiders with a few Black Widows thrown in. In all of our trips we've never seen so dang many spiders. They would literally cover the ground around our tent from sundown to sun up. The wife suffered a bite from a black widow but, being a nurse, knew how to treat it and what to look for that would require antivenin. She was sick for a couple of days, but nothing serious.

Have any of you seen an increase in spider activity? I don't know what the heck happened. Some people on here think the government is about to take over, but I suspect the spiders might beat them to it! Anyone have any input?

Reactions: MTNRNR3

·
Hey ya'll, watch this....
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, because of the warmer winter
Thanks. We live in a downtown city setting, so we rarely see spiders outside of our wilderness excursions. Is it happening in suburban neighborhoods as well?

·
Pale of ale
563 Posts
Peppermint oil with a little water in a spray bottle, saturate your tent site then your camp area. This wont kill them but it will make them scatter. There are also electronic devices that emit sounds that make the crawlies run for cover.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My wife and I have noticed a RIDICULOUS amount of spiders in our house this spring. It only bothers us because we have a 7 month old who is crawling all over and such so we have to look out. What creeps me out is if we have that many spiders running around I don't want to know how many insects/bugs there are running around supporting our spider population...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts