1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
21,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
602 Posts
I use one from the pet store that looks like a little bottle opener, works fine. Much quicker than trying to back them out with a flame.

·
In Memory
10,934 Posts
Tick Twister bought on eBay (inexpensive)

Reactions: survive

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
I have to say that I've always been a little confused by the idea of needing tools, heat or anything else to remove ticks. I know that people are concerned about the head of the tick remaining in the skin or something like that.
I've never seen a tick that burrowed into the skin at all and have been able to see their little mandibles clamped into the skin.
All I've ever done for myself and dogs is pull them off. I've done it plenty of times in 56 years and never had any tick heads left in my skin. No infections or anything.

What am I missing?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
CRAP CREEK SURVIVOR
2,677 Posts
I've used this for many years on myself and animals, and it works very well (one spoon for me and one for the critters).

There is a beveled notch in the "spoon" that you can slide under the tick and lift it right out in one smooth motion. What I like: it completely removes the tick without leaving its head in your skin...ever.

https://www.amazon.com/Ticked-Off-P...TF8&qid=1520619866&sr=8-1&keywords=tick+spoon

·
Super Moderator
CRAP CREEK SURVIVOR
2,677 Posts
It is known that putting irritants (alcohol, heat, nail polish, essential oils, etc. etc.) on a tick in efforts to remove it will cause it to immediately regurgitate into you, and increase chances of infection by pathogens such as Lyme's disease, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, etc. So, before it releases its hold on you, it leaves behind an unwelcome load of...nasty.

Here are just two (of many) sources of info about that:

https://www.aafp.org/afp/2002/0815/p643.html

http://www.lymefight.info/avoiding-a-tick-bite/how-to-properly-remove-a-tick/

·
Organ Donor
827 Posts

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
I use my fingers. The only time it does not work for me is on the nymphs of deer ticks. They are sooo tiny it is tough for me to get them off. With the gray ticks there is a sort of "pop", indicating they are off. I hate those rotten things with a passion and with all the critters we have I get them off asap. They can be tough to find a second time.

21,428 Posts
I've used this for many years on myself and animals, and it works very well (one spoon for me and one for the critters).

There is a beveled notch in the "spoon" that you can slide under the tick and lift it right out in one smooth motion. What I like: it completely removes the tick without leaving its head in your skin...ever.

https://www.amazon.com/Ticked-Off-P...TF8&qid=1520619866&sr=8-1&keywords=tick+spoon

I have a spoon. I haven't had to use it though.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Fingers have always worked for me. Never had an infection personally.

The only exception was I used to have a dog who would get a gnarly abscess ever. Single. Time. she got bit by a tick. EVERY time. Vet thought it was related to an allergic reaction. She was a long haired aussie, too, so even if I brushed her and checked her over thoroughly when I'd taken her out hiking she still often ended up with ticks. It didn't matter how I removed them, it was going to get infected ever time.

·
Registered
214 Posts
We have a lot of tics in New Hampshire, I am a big fan of the tick twister, It is fast and has always worked good. The tics come out very fast are always still alive when they come out. This means to me they have not been squished and hopefully not had time to regurgitate.

Its the best method I have found so far.

·
In Memory
10,934 Posts
Not trying to hijack the thread but am just a little distracted by that randomly selected 1959 silver quarter you used to gauge size. You still getting those in circulation where you are?
I place that quarter in pictures for scale & to show I personally took the picture.

Very rare to find silver coins in circulation.

I generally buy from local coin stores $100 face value at a time.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts