Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Trying to Live Free
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks just thinking of special items, such as medical items for diabetes, extra pairs of glasses, arch support insoles, good boots, sandals, and walking shoes, etc, etc...

And comfort / moral items...?

What extras are you getting for these items?

Thank You
freeman

·
Stay the Course
471 Posts
Actually as far as comfort/morale items, I hope to still have all the comfort things I have now when SHTF. Just without the electronic stuff, (cell, laptop, tv, etc)

Good boots is something always good to have two pairs of, as well as a comfy pair of crocks or two. lol I also have water socks for creeks, rivers, and other types of water.

We'll still have a watering hole for swimmin, and books, board games, stories, etc to fill any downtime. And as long as I have my family and friends, I got all the comfort/morale I need.

·
Banned
647 Posts
I wouldnt rely on electronic devices much, the way things are looking, if its not an economy crash, its going to probably something along the lines of an EMP in mass across the US from one of our enemies. Bring them along yes, but also you might want to get one of those travel checker/chess sets, several card type games and so on.

Hard candy and a flask full of a very fine single malt scotch to go with a box of cigars.

·
Registered
329 Posts
we have a deck of cards in one of our BOBs.

I've also been considering throwing in some makeup, small bottles of lotion, soap, or shampoo if space allowed. Getting pretty and smelling nice every once in a while, in a world where most people bathe a couple of times a month (if that) would do a lot to boost a person's spirits. You could also use these items to barter with I suppose.

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
Picture of family, Bible, Deck of cards, mp3 player, and in the near future I am considering a small notebook or smart pad. Maybe a smart phone...

I dunno.

Reactions: freeman1000

·
Banned
647 Posts
I suggest not only a survival log, full name, info where you resided at the time before collapse in the front cover then time and dated for each entry. It may not be motivational but keeping a steady log going of day to day activities and a SITREP would in fact give you something to do at the end of each day and will make you think of how things could have gone better or worse, note the positives as well as negatives, writing before going to sleep will relax you and take you away from the mad gone world for a few moments as you jot things down. If you survive and can recover and eventually get back to life a norm once again, you will have a rock solid diary of events that you can analyze and give you ideas on how to improve going about things, if in fact there is a round 2 in your life time. It also lets you vent and relieve stress by writing things down, is a form of release. We all need to vent at times to make yourself feel better that someone, heard you, even if its on paper you will feel much much better.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I honestly can't help thinking that if there is a SHTF scenario, kit will make some difference but if you are old or unfit you are likely to be a massive target. I suppose then the ideal would be to become involved in a group of some sort. Anyway back on topic, I agree with previous posters, cards and mobile games such as that are a good idea, I think you need to remember that if the BOB is meant to be carried it can't be too heavy, also I think you definitely cannot count on electric supply or other utilities working in a disaster situation.

·
Old Hounds Smell Good
1,077 Posts
I've tried to keep as many items used in normal life well stocked and in the SHTF rotation also. Everything from L'Occitane to Bath and Body works for the smelly nice clean part to drawing pads and art supplies for entertainment.

I even have a rotation of hair dye, tooth whitening, mineral make-up other prettification items. There is absolutely no excuse for looking like a Cro-Magnon woman and much to be gained from looking and feeling good.

I truly believe that happiness and relief from the situation at hand will be key for the successful survival (and a thriving future) in the event of SHTF.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,576 Posts
Plenty of good books, a few acoustic instruments, some luxury foods and snack items plus the ones I can make from scratch. Board and card games. Spare comfy clothes. Comfort items are generally easy to stock because most of us have some of them already. Morale will be hugely important and things that give us some semblance of a normal life are morale boosters, especially when it comes to food and drink.

This is why I'm constantly stressing learning to cook well and stocking a variety of foods and seasonings. Nothing restores morale like a hot meal that your looking forward too, rather than yet-another bland plate of beans and rice. Learn to make deserts and snack items. Heck I bet you can make your favorite snack chip if you try. None of that is very hard.

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
I have to stock adult sized diapers for my adult son who has Down Syndrome. I also have to try to stock seizure meds. Glasses for me, etc. I'm also stocking for a gluten free family diet, which is challenging.

As for comfort items, we have lots. Books, card games, candy, you name it.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Another L'Occitane fan, yay!! :)

I'm just like you in this way -- I keep a full stash of makeup, hair and bathing / beauty products -- I try to keep a year's supply of everything I regularly use. At least these make me feel better, and morale is very important.

In a pinch, these items can be traded -- but are more important with building good will than saying this much wheat for a new red lipstick.

Also, our plans are to stay put for most emergencies, so I might as well store what I use and use what I store in place. :)

I've tried to keep as many items used in normal life well stocked and in the SHTF rotation also. Everything from L'Occitane to Bath and Body works for the smelly nice clean part to drawing pads and art supplies for entertainment.

I even have a rotation of hair dye, tooth whitening, mineral make-up other prettification items. There is absolutely no excuse for looking like a Cro-Magnon woman and much to be gained from looking and feeling good.

I truly believe that happiness and relief from the situation at hand will be key for the successful survival (and a thriving future) in the event of SHTF.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Picture of family, Bible, Deck of cards, mp3 player, and in the near future I am considering a small notebook or smart pad. Maybe a smart phone...

I dunno.
+1

I love my little MP3 player. Cheap, and simple... the Sansa Clip+. Cost me all of $25. It holds hundreds of songs and is expandable. Also acts as a micro SD card reader. The thing lasts upwards of 15 hours on a charge and can charge through USB, which many of the dyno crank radios have. All this and its about the size of a matchbook.

Gotta have a deck of cards too!

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
i put away a few sets of dice, decks of cards, and dominos,,,also store up some 550 cord,,amazing with u can make with that stuff,

never mind carving walking sticks or swagger sticks,,,

·
Trying to Live Free
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am practically blind without glasses, so I need at least 3 pairs and a year supply of contacts.

A few pairs of sunglasses would be good to have as well.

I have flat feet, so a few pairs of good boots, shoes, and sandals would be good.

For morale ...more than anything else, i guess are healthy family and friends with a good sense of humor and to help survive.

Maybe a couple of stiff drinks every once in a while too:D:

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
For my comfort needs I stocked extra lotions and body oils. Hair clips and ties, dice, uno, dominos, playing cards, hard candy, vaseline, several varieties of hard alcohol, drawing pencils and sharpeners,color books and crayons for kids. Hair brushes, combs, clippers, nail files and polish.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts