Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do a lot of spear fishing in creeks and stuff, and I was wondering how many other people were in to it. I think it's fun, but other fisherman think I'm crazy sometimes.

I can go wade out in to the river barefoot with my home forged four pronged spear, and catch three or four fish every time.

·
Semper non compos mentis
1,578 Posts
Hi wolfman, yep I've been spearfishing (ocean) most of my life. Although I've been slack this last year or so, concentrating more on bowhunting.

Summer's here Downunder, so it's time to see if the wetsuit still fits ??

What sort of fish have you been getting?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I go Spearfishing in the Ocean, I go fishing off Nags Head here in North Carolina, I can get a lot of flounder pretty easily. There's an old section of dock that rotted away and fell in to the ocean, that's a big haven for the flounder.

When I go in spearfishing cave man style in the river, I can get Bluefish, Pumpkinseed even White Perch. I got really good with my spear and fishing in the river. I once even got a catfish with my spear, but that only happened once.

·
A friend of the Site
1,966 Posts
Growing up we used to use a light and a spear (we used "gigs") to get a few fish in the creek where we camped.

20 years ago i had someone who was suppose to that me "Ahkoo" sp? (octopus) hunting, fishing in the rocks with a spear, but never got to do it when we went to Oahu.

·
Fisherman
637 Posts
I do a lot of spear fishing in creeks and stuff, and I was wondering how many other people were in to it. I think it's fun, but other fisherman think I'm crazy sometimes.

I can go wade out in to the river barefoot with my home forged four pronged spear, and catch three or four fish every time.
Wondering what kind of fish you spear. I suppose it will work out here for trout, if your quick enough, but it seems like they'd be spooked to easily. Iv'e noticed while fishin w/ rod and reel. I always wear Camo, and seem to catch alot more trout while walkin rivers than my buds do.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wondering what kind of fish you spear. I suppose it will work out here for trout, if your quick enough, but it seems like they'd be spooked to easily. Iv'e noticed while fishin w/ rod and reel. I always wear Camo, and seem to catch alot more trout while walkin rivers than my buds do.
I use a spear my father made. It has an oak shaft with a hand forged spear tip.

·
Unemployment sucks.
686 Posts
when i lived in guam i did a lot of spear fishing. not a spear gun bu a 6 foot hawaian spear and sling, fins and a mask. the coolist fish i got was a three foot reef shark

·
Registered
688 Posts
I think it's outlawed here. Bow fishing is, or so I'm told.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I go to a pond just on the edge of town when the carp are in the shallows and got 3 last year. Been focusing on Hooking into 30 pound snapping turtles now that is fun.

·
Registered
249 Posts
When I go Spearfishing in the Ocean, I go fishing off Nags Head here in North Carolina, I can get a lot of flounder pretty easily. There's an old section of dock that rotted away and fell in to the ocean, that's a big haven for the flounder.

When I go in spearfishing cave man style in the river, I can get Bluefish, Pumpkinseed even White Perch. I got really good with my spear and fishing in the river. I once even got a catfish with my spear, but that only happened once.
yeah? i go spear fishing off of kill devil hills across from first street at the old shipwreck! i only get down there once a year though:(

·
Registered
262 Posts
My speargun's spear is tipped with a .223, makes short work out of grouper and snapper. I quit cuz I can't stand sharks and cudas, when they smell blood your ringing the dinnerbell for them.I had tooooo many close calls. When i move from these gator waters I'll try fresh water.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I got my grampa's old spear head. We can only do it through the ice here I think. I would have to check with the State Game and Fish Dept to be sure.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I would love to try. one time me and friends were at estes park colorado and this creek had dried up in the little pool that had been remaining we caught this pretty good sized trout and baked it in a fire. it was good.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Basically I made one for my sister recently. She wanted to learn and I decided to teach her because every survivalist should be able to fish with a spear in a creek.

I took three 10D nails, heated them up with a blow torch. Then flattened them out a bit and sharpened the tips. I used that to construct a multi-tipped spear head. Then I went back in to the woods and cut out a big old hickory branch. I let the branch dry out.

Once the wood in the branch dried out, I took a chisel and a knife and I carved it in to a spear handle. I attached the tips and then that created the spear.

This would be a great time for a picture, but again, my camera took a fall off a boat and hasn't been replaced yet.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts